• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dear the moderation team,

A few days ago I requested the banning of a member of these forums, sammy2. I was not alone in this request. You agreed with the sentiments and banned him for 6 months, for which we were all grateful.

However, in light of today's events, please reinstate him. I need a good chuckle at what he would have to say about this.

Yours faithfully
GIMH
(GeraintIsMyHero)
We should give him more credit - I reckon he foresaw this, duped the mods, and got himself banned on purpose. I can almost see him and Precambrian up there in cyberspace chuckling away like a latter day Punch and Judy show

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
No he bowled genuinely well- 5/38 off 9.3 aren't the figures of a stifler. Bowled fast- around 90mph at times- accurate, moved the ball both ways and got excellent bounce and carry.

That makes him sound like Superman, so i'll qualify by saying he didn't get the big wickets- just Simmons, Ramdin and the tail.
Yeah, he did what he could. You can't ask much more than using the conditions and putting the ball in the right areas.

He's not Waqar Younis, but he has impressed thus far. Hopefully he'll get the pace up to 90mph consistently during the Ashes (if he plays).

Welcome to England, Mr Gayle. I hope you enjoyed your in-flight entertainment and your 2 dismissals in one afternoon. Proud of how you've led your team so far?
Ha ha.

Gayle is simply 1 of the worst captains in the world.

WI might be thinking he could have stayed back in SA with his IPL team. Dropped a sitter and added nothing to the batting.
I don't think he'll want to go back to the IPL. Kolkata are hardly kicking ass.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Not quite sure how both Broad and Onions have both managed to crank it up to 90mph, though. :D
Yes, that astonished me too. If it's genuine, then we're looking healthier than any of us expected. Rightly or wrongly, the two big questionmark positions in the side (number 3 bat and 3rd seamer) have been settled for the forseeable future in the space of 48 hours. Those places really are for Bopara & Onions to lose now, which would be a surprise against this opposition. Beyond that, I'd want to see a sixth batsman instead of Bresnan though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have not seen a ball of todays play, so this is a genuine question.

From what Ive seen of Onions he appears to be a bowler that will frustrate and take advantage of ill-disciplined batting. Was that the case or did he blitz them?
4 of his 5 were with genuinely good nuts, tbf.

I have to be honest and say I wasn't too impressed initially and actually said so in this very thread (:ph34r:); he was bowling around 86mph and the ball was skidding through, some shape away from the batters, but nothing really to trouble them.

He then bent his back (seemingly), cranked up the pace by 2-3mph, shortened his length and was getting some serious seam and carry. He doesn't look super tall (6' 1" or 2" would be my guess), but when he bowls back of a length he can get steepling bounce and the slope obviously exaggerated whatever seam he was getting.

Something there to work with at least IMHO.

Batting looked ploppy tho, before we all get carried away. :p

gvenkat

State Captain
Hold all your celebrations till you meet the OZ... Onions will be mashed and diced.. :laugh:

If Lee, Mitch etal fire England will be in deep doo-doo :laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair call. Some egg on face.

Not quite sure how both Broad and Onions have both managed to crank it up to 90mph, though. :D
Free from the strong heat of the West Indies, something in conditions to get excited about, maturing as bowlers and a dodgy speedgun. But mainly the last.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Free from the strong heat of the West Indies, something in conditions to get excited about, maturing as bowlers and a dodgy speedgun. But mainly the last.
Dunno. Had Edwards & Taylor down around 81-2mph early doors after their alleged previous night's festivities. Even when Fiddy was charging in yest he wasn't any quicker than you'd expect from him.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno. Had Edwards & Taylor down around 81-2mph early doors after their alleged previous night's festivities. Even when Fiddy was charging in yest he wasn't any quicker than you'd expect from him.
I hadn't heard about this - can you give any more details?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
They were saying on TMS when they were talking about speeds that there was a rumour that the tv used to turn up the readings on the speed gun when England were bowling during the 05 Ashes

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Pathetic from the Windies, truly truly abject, some of those dismissals.....devon smith playing round a straight one ffs. I feel really let down for some reason, had high hopes for them this series. Feels weird having test cricket this early in England, it's still football season (as much as I dislike chelsea and love barca the blues were robbed last night)! In general the batsmen have been abysmal this test from both sides, Bopara obviously the stand out but even he had a huge let off on 40, the pitch is a belter, the outfield lightning, no extravagant swing (especially considering the time of year) or spin on offer. The Windies may well have helped Australia here, England are going to stick with Onions for a while after this, he's gonna get mauled by the Aussies. How the hell Swann is returning such figures is beyond me, he's just a steady offy! Doesn't even bowl a doosra ffs (which for an international offie is sort of expected these days). Thought Anderson was good in patches, he's improved a lot, just needs to get more consistency, he's been injury free for a while now, he has to start making it count.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We're two days into the Test season and we've had a bag full of onion jokes, god knows what's in store if he plays the whole summer