Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** West Indies in England

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Hmm, I always feel icky about the fact we never lost the Ashes in that series
    Icky?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    [QUOTE=roseboy64;1881380][QUOTE=Prince EWS;1880683]I know Hinds looked pretty dire in the home series, but he'd add more options to a squad than Dave Bernard, surely - particularly when Sammy is already there.

The selectors stated that there were some problems re: Hinds' commitment to WI cricket.
    Apparently he was on shaky ground with the selectors and decided to rest for a FC game against the Leewards after the Tests after he was warned or something like that. Only himself to blame from reports.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Banned
    Well, if Hinds couldn't score runs on the batsmen-friendly pitches in the Caribbean, then he certainly won't score runs at Lords or Chester-le-street, so I support that omission....

Good to see Simmons back in, along with Deonarine, who made runs regionally, and Richards, who deserves a chance. IMHO, Smith was lucky to get back in ahead of Barath, who could at least improve his cricketing education by playing in the three county games.

I also don't like the idea of the inclusion of Bernard. If you have Sammy, why bring along Bernard? I would've prefered to see Rampaul in the squad instead....

So Dave Bernard = poor man's Dwayne Smith?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    With the continued inexplicable abscence of Dave Mohammed, I will be cheering Dave Bernard on this tour.

Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    In the absence of greatness, celebrate sub-mediocrity?
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    In the absence of greatness, celebrate sub-mediocrity?
    Dav's an Oldham fan, tbf, so has form in that area.

MPV back in at 3? Unless he makes an absolute Horlicks of the Loins game I reckon it's a goer. If Shah's the answer we're obviously asking the wrong question.

My guess:

Strauss*
    Cook
    Vaughan
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad
    Swann
    (assuming recovery)
    Harmison
    Anderson

Unless he's at full gallop Sid is a passenger, Amjad had his radar fitted by the same engineer as Saj so think Harmy is the default pick.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Anderson, Flintoff, Broad, Swann fine. It is the other position that I worry about, and as you say unless Sidebottom can bowl as he was about 12, 13 months ago, then we look short on options
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Harmison to play the first game and then be dropped or be excluded and then recalled.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    What the **** are you basing that on? Crazy prediction

FBU
    We are naming the squad next weekend. 18 days before the 1st Test instead of the usual 4 days.

'Miller said that the timing of selection has been forced because players involved in the Indian Premier League want to know how long they can stay in South Africa for the tournament. If, as is likely, Ravi Bopara and Owais Shah are omitted by England, they will be able to earn roughly $75,000 (about 50,000) and $45,000 respectively from their franchises by staying on for one more week'.

The way I see it Pietersen, Collingwood and Flintoff are in the team and come back from the IPL at the end of April. The other two can stay as long as they want. They are sending one selector out (Whitaker) to the IPL.

Neither Bopara and Shah are likely to play in the 1st Test so I can't see the point. It cuts short the time the selectors have to look at the other people and they have decided to have a larger squad.

You would think they want the new coach in before next week then so he can have a say on who he wants in the squad.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Squads are named for press coverage more so than anything else. That is, if they want to change it at a later date, they're entitled to. It's not a huge deal when they name the squad except that it indicates to the players who are left out that they've got a lot of work to do. Which is a good thing surely.

FBU
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Squads are named for press coverage more so than anything else. That is, if they want to change it at a later date, they're entitled to. It's not a huge deal when they name the squad except that it indicates to the players who are left out that they've got a lot of work to do. Which is a good thing surely.
    Well this match at Lords will be the only chance for the selectors to see how Vaughan does. All the bowlers won't have played at all when the squad is announced. So Harmison is dropped from the last Test in the West Indies. Where does he stand? They are picking a larger squad of 14/15 because they won't have seen the players play. Will they be any wiser of who is in form and who isn't. At least if they picked the squad the usual 4 days before most of the players would have played two f/c games.

I suppose the 15 would be
    Strauss, Cook, Vaughan, Bell, Pietersen, Collingwood, Flintoff, Prior, Sidebottom, Harmison, Broad, Anderson, Panesar, Swann, Harmison.

Sidebottom has hardly bowled in 6 months. Harmison is unfit and has also had very little bowling according to what he needs to be in top form.The new coach probably won't be in place so he can have his say in who he wants. You would expect the same players to be playing against the West Indies and the Australians.

Very rarely do they change their selection once it is announced unless there is an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

MPV back in at 3? Unless he makes an absolute Horlicks of the Loins game I reckon it's a goer. If Shah's the answer we're obviously asking the wrong question.

My guess:

Strauss*
    Cook
    Vaughan
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad
    Swann
    (assuming recovery)
    Harmison
    Anderson

Unless he's at full gallop Sid is a passenger, Amjad had his radar fitted by the same engineer as Saj so think Harmy is the default pick.

Makes sense, especially as the Lions game is looking increasingly like a wash out. The only possible alternative at number 3 is if Key makes a shedload of runs. Vaughan's record over the last 5 years isn't the best by any stretch, but I'd fancy his chances ahead of Shah now that he's had a breather & got his head in order compared to the end of last season.

As for the final fast bowler's place, I find the situation too depressing to add anything to what you said.

International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

My guess:

Strauss*
    Cook
    Vaughan
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Prior+
    Broad
    Swann
    (assuming recovery)
    Harmison
    Anderson

Every time see Flintoff at #6, I get a shock. I should be used to it by now, but it never fails to get me. Why doesn't Prior bat higher, given that he's a far better batsman?

Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information