Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** West Indies in England

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It was two years ago that they came. They are only playing this series because Zim got called off and then SL cancelled
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    Pascal ahead of Rampaul?
    Classic pace ahead of performance.
    Simmons should get a run in the team now that he's debuted, but I think Deonarine is presently a better batsman by a fair way.

And Dave Bernard? He barely looked club standard when he was picked years ago. His performances for Jamaica since hardly suggested he's turned the many corners to become Test class.
    Not having a go at you, but I vaguely remember myself for calling out Bernard's selection, and you pulled me up on it, suggesting that he was identified as being talented and was picked on that, implying I was wrong, but here you are suggesting Bernard should be nowhere near the team. That I'm not doubting you, you follow it more then what I do.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    It was two years ago that they came. They are only playing this series because Zim got called off and then SL cancelled
    In my mind I was thinking they had last toured in 2006, but then I remembered it was 2007. Either that or the years are blending into one.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    Can't really back the decision to include Bernard. They probably feel his style of bowling will be helped in English conditions though, plus his batting. Maybe a replacement for Bravo.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

[QUOTE=Mr Mxyzptlk;1881082]Pascal ahead of Rampaul?
    Classic pace ahead of performance.
    Simmons should get a run in the team now that he's debuted, but I think Deonarine is presently a better batsman by a fair way.
    QUOTE]

Not sure Pascal will be likely to play any Tests. Deonarine could force his way in ahead of Simmons based on how they go in the warmups. Smith v Richards as well. A four pronged pace attack of Edwards, Taylor, Richardson/Baker and one of Bernard/Sammy is what I expect.

[QUOTE=Prince EWS;1880683]I know Hinds looked pretty dire in the home series, but he'd add more options to a squad than Dave Bernard, surely - particularly when Sammy is already there.
    [QUOTE]

The selectors stated that there were some problems re: Hinds' commitment to WI cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    A rare chance to win back a lost trophy just about instantaneously.

Anyway, I said it when the tour was scheduled for SL, and it still applies now - I wonder when the last time a tour was penned with more First-Class tour-games than Tests? I'd bet it hasn't happened since 2000.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Didn't realise this was only going to be a two-Test series - even with the Ashes following I thought England v WI would always be at least best-of-three. I understand that some would call eight Tests in one summer overkill (personally I'd happily give up every ODI and T20 game to fit them in), but a series as traditionally prestigious as the Wisden Trophy being reduced to a two-Test sideshow just seems wrong.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Not having a go at you, but I vaguely remember myself for calling out Bernard's selection, and you pulled me up on it, suggesting that he was identified as being talented and was picked on that, implying I was wrong, but here you are suggesting Bernard should be nowhere near the team. That I'm not doubting you, you follow it more then what I do.
    If I ever championed Bernard it was a massive misjudgment on my part, because as far as I remember I've been opposed to his selection and thought his Test cap v Australia was pretty much worthless. He was never much of a batsman or bowler, and barely bowled in that Test match anyway iirc. I can't think of why I would have defended his selection.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Can't really back the decision to include Bernard. They probably feel his style of bowling will be helped in English conditions though, plus his batting. Maybe a replacement for Bravo.
    The way I see it Bravo >>>>> Sammy > Bernard. They must be thinking Sammy + Bernard = Bravo, but that's not how Maths works really.
    Quote Originally Posted by roseboy64 View Post
    Not sure Pascal will be likely to play any Tests. Deonarine could force his way in ahead of Simmons based on how they go in the warmups. Smith v Richards as well. A four pronged pace attack of Edwards, Taylor, Richardson/Baker and one of Bernard/Sammy is what I expect.
    Deonarine would probably have to outscore Simmons comfortably to get into the team for the first Test. Consistency of selection seems the go for Dyson-Gayle.

Given that Baker played the first Test on the NZ tour, I wouldn't be surprised if Pascal plays one of the Tests. I really rate Richardson, far higher than Baker from what I've seen. That said, it's documented how little I rate Baker.

Will Taylor be fit? Let's hope so for some good cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Didn't realise this was only going to be a two-Test series - even with the Ashes following I thought England v WI would always be at least best-of-three. I understand that some would call eight Tests in one summer overkill (personally I'd happily give up every ODI and T20 game to fit them in), but a series as traditionally prestigious as the Wisden Trophy being reduced to a two-Test sideshow just seems wrong.
    I agree but i blame the WICB for accepting this shortened series in the first place. Then again its not like the WI have the leverage (like say India or Australia) to negotiate ne way. I dont think this 2 tests series should be for the Wisden trophy though.
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    It's less a case of it being reduced to a sideshow and more one of it being reduced to a replacement.

If West Indies were of the power of the 1976-1986 or even 1986-1997 period, there is absolutely no way the ECB would have asked them to step in when Zimbabwe were debarred and Sri Lanka pulled-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    I agree but i blame the WICB for accepting this shortened series in the first place. Then again its not like the WI have the leverage (like say India or Australia) to negotiate ne way. I dont think this 2 tests series should be for the Wisden trophy though.
    Yeah, that's certainly a valid POV.

When England (and West Indies as a matter of fact) were called in to give C9 a big first summer of Test cricket in 1979/80, the TCCB refused to put up The Ashes (the Worrell Trophy was indeed competed for), and that was quite right as the series did not fit within the standard Ashes schedule. Nor does this fit within the standard Wisden Trophy one. I question considerably whether said Trophy should be up-for-grabs.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Hmm, I always feel icky about the fact we never lost the Ashes in that series

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slifer View Post
    I dont think this 2 tests series should be for the Wisden trophy though.
    Yep, agree. Very poor form. England and Australia have played non-Ashes Tests, so not like there isn't a precedent.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information