• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in England

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Does the fact that it is a degenerative condition and 'would have happened anyway' mean that he won't get paid by his IPL side for the time he misses? (as i understand it the rules are something along the lines of you are still paid if your injury happens as a result of ipl but not if you are injured elsewhere)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cricinfo - Flintoff returns home to undergo surgery

Fred's injured again. Needing surgery on his knee. Should only be out for 3 to 5 weeks so it's not that bad for England really. It's a degenerative injury, meaning he'd have broken down eventually anyway, and him needing surgery now is far better than him needing surgery 2 weeks before the start of the Ashes. People will moan about him going to the IPL to earn some extra cash and that being the reason he got injured, but it would have happened anyway. This means he can have the surgery, recover and get some practise in in time for possibly the T20 WC and definitely the Ashes. Also means we can give Bell or Bopara a go against the Windies alongside Shah to see who should have that #3 spot.
Bell's best performances have come as a Flintoff-repacement.

Nonetheless, clearly Bopara should be ahead of him currently. And I'd still hope Shah gets these couple of Tests at three.

Howsie

International Captain
Bell's best performances have come as a Flintoff-repacement.

Nonetheless, clearly Bopara should be ahead of him currently. And I'd still hope Shah gets these couple of Tests at three.
So what is the England team going to look like come the first test against the West Indies.

1.A.Strauss(C)
2.A.Cook
3.O.Shah
4.K.Pietersen
5.P.Collingwood
6.R.Bopara
7.M.Prior
8.S.Broad
9.G.Swann
10.J.Anderson
11.R.Sidebottom/S.Harmison

Does that look about right?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So what is the England team going to look like come the first test against the West Indies.

1.A.Strauss(C)
2.A.Cook
3.O.Shah
4.K.Pietersen
5.P.Collingwood
6.R.Bopara
7.M.Prior
8.S.Broad
9.G.Swann
10.J.Anderson
11.R.Sidebottom/S.Harmison

Does that look about right?
Harmison got Michael Vaughan caught behind fending at a short pitched delivery, so I'd imagine in the eyes of the selectors he's back to his 2004 best and is guaranteed a place.

edit: though in all seriousness, Sidebottom isn't playing for his county this round and off the top of my head I can't think of a fit seamer that I'd rather see in there.

shivfan

Banned
Good start for Baker, who got the wicket of Gallian....

still, this is an inexperienced WI team playing Essex, Shiv aside.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Getting owned by a second string bowling line-up of a second division county. Wonder what Dyson will say about the wicket? Though, it doesn't seem to be bothering Chanderpual...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm going to get in early with a horrendous joke about Pascal failing to apply much pressure.

Chubb

International Regular
Good stuff from Mo-Reece Chambers today, very impressive pace and control from the young man.

shivfan

Banned
Getting owned by a second string bowling line-up of a second division county. Wonder what Dyson will say about the wicket? Though, it doesn't seem to be bothering Chanderpual...
He hasn't said anything, has he?
:)
Sorry batting performance by the WI hopefuls. Richards and Deonarine aren't doing anything to take away the last batting spot from Devon Smith....
:@

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'd pick this team for the 1st test personally...

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Broad
Anderson
Harmison
Hoggard/Swann - depending on conditions

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd pick this team for the 1st test personally...

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Bell
Collingwood
Prior
Broad
Anderson
Harmison
Hoggard/Swann - depending on conditions
There's absolutely no chance whatsoever of Hoggard playing - just so's you know that.

As for the possibility of Vaughan and Bell both playing ahead of Bopara, well... I hardly see that that can be justified.