• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australis A be granted test status?

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
Re: the original question
Even the Aussie senior team hasn't won everywhere yet. So the question itself is premature.
Australia A may compete against visiting teams. I doubt if they'd win anything if they had test status.

As good as Australia are, they are certainly over rated :rolleyes:

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
no I am not kidding.

They are over rated enough for people to actually believe their second XI can compete and win with international teams :rolleyes:

Before the WC, I heard Aussies say that if the second XI had been allowed to participate they'd play the first XI in the finals.
duh!

Aussies are clearly much better than the other teams. But they are over rated by far.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Ok I am confused.

Do you mean Aus first eleven is over rated...

OR do you mean Aus second eleven is over rated?

Aus first eleven is not over rated by far. Most people who rate them highly, call them one of the best ever, maybe as good as 70s/80s WI, perhaps not as good as the invincibles, and better than the 70s/early 80s Aussies. I think thats fair, and accurate.

No one has called them as good as Bradman's aussies I think, and anything less is good enough for this team.

As for Aus second eleven. Yes its over rated if someone thinks they would have reached the finals, but I think by saying that Aus were basically rubbing it in.

Craig

World Traveller
Lets have a look:

ML Hayden - Good player, but does rely on a lot of luck and only really scores runs on flat batting wickets, remember England in 2001?
SCG MacGill - How can anybody rate him? He gets more turn, loop and drift then most wrist spiners, but lacks consistancy, he bowls too many four balls and full toss's where good players of spin can use their feet and hit him for four.
GD McGrath - Another over-rated cricketer. Famed for his searing accuracey, but fails to swing a ball on a consistant basis, only in early of his spell, but gets nothing after that.
AC Gilchrist - Another over-rated cricketer. Relies on a lot of luck (ie dropped catches) and gives at least one to two chances. His 204* against SOuth Africa, he was dropped 6 times.
B Lee - Surely, the most over-rated cricketer in the world. Lets see, too expensive, bowls crap, doesnt swing a ball on enough occasions, his many weapon is his yorker, and his bouncer is poor. He often gets belted around the park, and is only effective on fast bouncy wickets.

full_length

U19 Vice-Captain
one would have thought it easy enough to understand.
AUSTRALIA is over rated.
When people say that their second eleven can beat most international teams they are basically saying that Australia is so much better than the other teams. That's not true.
Australia are better than the other teams but not *that* much better.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
Lets have a look:

ML Hayden - Good player, but does rely on a lot of luck and only really scores runs on flat batting wickets, remember England in 2001?
SCG MacGill - How can anybody rate him? He gets more turn, loop and drift then most wrist spiners, but lacks consistancy, he bowls too many four balls and full toss's where good players of spin can use their feet and hit him for four.
GD McGrath - Another over-rated cricketer. Famed for his searing accuracey, but fails to swing a ball on a consistant basis, only in early of his spell, but gets nothing after that.
AC Gilchrist - Another over-rated cricketer. Relies on a lot of luck (ie dropped catches) and gives at least one to two chances. His 204* against SOuth Africa, he was dropped 6 times.
B Lee - Surely, the most over-rated cricketer in the world. Lets see, too expensive, bowls crap, doesnt swing a ball on enough occasions, his many weapon is his yorker, and his bouncer is poor. He often gets belted around the park, and is only effective on fast bouncy wickets.
That's just a load of compleat crap and Lies Gilly was never droped on his way to that 204* actualy maybe once on 120 odd.

McGrath does not need to swing it thats not his strength and his record speaks for itself. Funny how he does so well agianst the very best batsman in the world I am talking Tendulkar & Lara etc..

MacGill fair enough he has lost it a little but there is no doubt his best was very good and he is still the second best leg spinner in the world.

B Lee well he is inconsistent but he DOES SWING THE BALL alot dispite your opinion and when he harneses his potentual he is our most dangerous bowler.

It just shows how flawed your arguments are when you refer to a players luck in order to justify you not rating them.

May I remind you all that apart form that match were Hayden was droped about 3-4 times by England in 2002 He was only droped 4 other times the whole year!!!

Same with Gilly Again apart from being droped so many times during the 2000 ashes series he does not get droped any more than other players do.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
full_length said:

Australia are better than the other teams but not *that* much better.
Yeah right so how come no one can even come close to beating us.

How many teams have batting line ups with avrages like this.

Langer 46
Hayden 53
Ponting 51
Martyn 46
Waugh 49
Lhemann 39
Gilhcrist 60

Bloody hell not many batting line ups in the history of the game have come that close.

Then Bowling

Lee 28
Warne 25
McGrath 21
Gillespie 25

Alos funny how we won 16 test in a row and some 20 odd One dayers surley that could not be done by a team only slightly stronger than it's oponents.

Craig

World Traveller
I ranked it in general order. So are you trying to tell me that swing and seam is not important. Lee doesnt swing it enough for me.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
I ranked it in general order. So are you trying to tell me that swing and seam is not important. Lee doesnt swing it enough for me.
Lee gets a bucket loads of swing when he bowls inteligent line and lengths (not that often).

Did you watch the 5th Ashes test Lee was swing it more than any bowler I have ever seen I mean he was pitching it outside leg and it was missing offstump.

He bowled about 4 of those deliverys on Day One.

But as I have said about Brett Lee you cant get any of that swing if you bowl long hops.

As for McGrath he gets ALOT more bounce than most bowlers and good seam movement combine that with a great line & length and he does not need to swing the ball.

Craig

World Traveller
I rate Gillespie better then McGrath, because of that, seam position, swing and he is very unlucky and does actually pitch it up. On a green wicket, McGrath is deadly, on flat batting wickets, well....

I did watch the 5th Test between Australia and England at the SCG, but you should remember, one game he bowled well in, doesnt make him the greatest since Holding. He has been incosistant since his elbow injury in 2001.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Craig said:
I rate Gillespie better then McGrath, because of that, seam position, swing and he is very unlucky and does actually pitch it up. On a green wicket, McGrath is deadly, on flat batting wickets, well....

I did watch the 5th Test between Australia and England at the SCG, but you should remember, one game he bowled well in, doesnt make him the greatest since Holding. He has been incosistant since his elbow injury in 2001.
It's not just one game I just used that as an example.

McGrath is more than good enough on flat pitches are you telling me 90% of test standerd pitches these days are green??? basicly thats what they would need to be for McGrath to have over 400 test wickets at an avrage of 21 yet only be effective on green wickets.

I also really rate Gillespie I think Injury preventing he would be the best in the world.

As for seam position Lee has a better seam position than Both McGrath & Gillespie.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think that A Team should have test matches

Australia A

Blewett
Hussey
Love
Katrich
Clarke
Watson
Symonds
Campbell
Macgill
Bracken
Noffke

vs

England A

Montgomire
Solanki
Thorpe
Troughton
Rampakash
Hick
Read
White
Kirkley
Jones ( When he fit)
Brown/ Batty/

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
They were offical list A and FC matches nothing freindly about them.
They were warm-up games for the Ashes - England went into them without the strongest side they could've picked.

If you really think that is the same as playing a full strength side in a Test match, then can I have a pint of what you're on?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
flintoff would probably not even make a full strenght Australia A test side
Whatever!

Is this another statement along the the same lines as there's 50 Aussie's better at fielding than any Englishman?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Eclipse said:
MacGill fair enough he has lost it a little but there is no doubt his best was very good and he is still the second best leg spinner in the world.
Mushtaq Ahmed, Danish Kaneria, Anil Kumble...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chris.hinton said:

England A

Montgomire
Solanki
Thorpe
Troughton
Rampakash
Hick
Read
White
Kirkley
Jones ( When he fit)
Brown/ Batty/
Never before have I seen such a load of tripe!

Montgomerie, Ramprakash, Hick, Brown, Batty?!

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
They were warm-up games for the Ashes - England went into them without the strongest side they could've picked.

If you really think that is the same as playing a full strength side in a Test match, then can I have a pint of what you're on?
I dont really care what you say any half decent test side should be able to beat state sides & PM X1 ect.. wether they are trying there hardest or not & I doubt England were taking them that lightly.

To qoute: Hussain directly

"We dont want to lose any of the warm up games because it's an inditment on the playing group "

He said more in that sentance cant remember exactly but he went on about pride in playing for your country and it being totaly unexeptable for England to lose warm up games.

Now that makes me think they were not taking these games lightly witch is good to know but it goes against your argument.

If England really were not trying then thats just not good enough beacuse trying or not they cant expect to beat Australia if they cant beat an Invertational X1 or WA.