• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2009

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It's time.

First game on my birthday on Thursday with the champion county game. Having been away for the last 2 seasons i'll definitely be looking forward to this one with anticipation. Hopefully Moores can perform some magic and give us a title, would help if he keeps Mahmood away from the team

Presumably since we are now stickying domestic threads this can be topped?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Current Odds

County Championship Div 1
Durham 7/2
Notts 5/1
Hampshire 6/1
Sussex 13/2
Lancashire 13/2
Somerset 7/1
Yorkshire 9/1
Worcestershire 10/1
Hampshire 12/1

Not a lot of value there, maybe Worcestershire a smokey to go from promotion to champions with their attack.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like the look of Hampshire at 12/1, much better value than the 6/1 being offered further up the list.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's time.

First game on my birthday on Thursday with the champion county game. Having been away for the last 2 seasons i'll definitely be looking forward to this one with anticipation. Hopefully Moores can perform some magic and give us a title, would help if he keeps Mahmood away from the team

Presumably since we are now stickying domestic threads this can be topped?
There was a bit of hoo-ha about it last year but the end result was that it wasn't topped

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
fair enough, probably wasn't around for the hoo-ha, just saw the IPL thread was topped and that's not even proper cricket. Reckon that should have a sub forum though tbh

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone fancy having a fantasy league on cricinfo?

Cricinfo - Fantasy Cricket - Game Home

will set a league up if people are interested?

Have set up one anyway...think the code is 67533

aw crap you have to be 'invited' to join the comp..if anyone wants to join let me know and ill send you a code

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Back in the UK in July, so I will try get to a few of Surrey’s 4 day games.

Also, might be off to Nottingham (university), so I will make it a point to watch some cricket at Trent Bridge before the season is finished. Weather seems to be pretty decent in London at the moment, better than it is in Hunan and apparently (according to ever reliable Wikipedia) the weather here is sub-tropical.

Don't have high hopes for Surrey; bowling attack still looks rank despite the signing of Andre Nel.

Any young cricketers that we should keep our eyes on? Last season Dawson was a real find for Hampshire and I would have favoured him over Batty in the West Indies.

Redfern at Derbyshire looked pretty decent as well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
fair enough, probably wasn't around for the hoo-ha, just saw the IPL thread was topped and that's not even proper cricket. Reckon that should have a sub forum though tbh
I couldnt agree more. Its not a big deal but one of the decisions I disagreed with most was James deciding to sticky IPL by not the English season.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Any young cricketers that we should keep our eyes on? Last season Dawson was a real find for Hampshire and I would have favoured him over Batty in the West Indies.

Redfern at Derbyshire looked pretty decent as well.
From Lancs

Hopefully Tom Smith should make some strides this year, (providing he is given the chance) did pretty well in the off season down in Melbourne, Gareth Cross won the medal for most outstanding player in grade cricket playing for the same club, but he'll probably be limited to OD cricket again with Sutton having the gloves in FC. It will be interesting what happens come the end of the season with him as he might want a move if he doesn't play FC cricket, might play as a batsmen though.

Croft and Mullaney should be decent OD all round options. Croft would be my leftfield selection for ODI's come the end of 2009 (he's better than Luke Wright that's for sure)

Steven Cheetham looks pretty decent and should get games in OD especially. Also probably a make or break season for Karl Brown, there's a spot in the batting line up for him if he can take it, but he's not really made the most of his talent in chances so far.

Parry and Kerrigan are both young SLA, with Keedy out for the start of the season, they might get a chance, but conditions might lead us to go for an all seam attack, especially if Faf is available.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure which Hampshire odds we should believe, but surely they can't really be 3rd favourites can they?

My money's on Lancashire.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldn't have thought so but we are better than 12/1

Have just lost Tahir for the start of the season and really don't know what is happening with North. Quite like the attack though, if and its a BIG if Tremlett is fit and bowling well then I think it is really pretty good. Problem as always is the batting, they all have a lot to prove this year and I expect better performances from some of them but just don't see them getting enough runs to mount a serious challenge.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure which Hampshire odds we should believe, but surely they can't really be 3rd favourites can they?

My money's on Lancashire.
Hampshire were far and away the best team in the division for the whole second half of last season (they were just dire enough for the first half that they couldn't quite win the thing).

The batting's an issue but it seems to be a case of batting as low as possible to counter it, a bit like every New Zealand team. Tahir is a massive loss though, anyone know when he's due back?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not until June it would seem, so as originaly planned. They have to wait and see about North's availbility. Think there is a good possibility that someone else is going to brought in for the short term but with the IPL options are going to be limited.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Lancs vs Yorks at OT today, shame i couldn't get down.

Loye, Hogg, Horton, Brown, Chilton, Croft, Sutton, Mullaney,Smith, Parry,Newby

Dissapointing Cross couldn't get a game, better batsman and keeper than Sutton but with Chapple out Sutton is captaining.

Lancs have won the toss and the French are batting

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is my fantasy cricket team on cricinfo.

Sam Northeast
Michael Vaughan
Marcus Trescothick
Paul Horton
Kabir Ali (Trump Player)
Graham Napier
Mark Wallace
Maurice Chambers
CJ Jordan
SC Meaker
SJ Magoffin

That budget system is a bitch.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Here is my fantasy cricket team on cricinfo.

Sam Northeast
Michael Vaughan
Marcus Trescothick
Paul Horton
Kabir Ali (Trump Player)
Graham Napier
Mark Wallace
Maurice Chambers
CJ Jordan
SC Meaker
SJ Magoffin

That budget system is a bitch.