• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2009

brockley

International Captain
Imagine when they have the p20,cricket fans have 20/20 fatigue,most must have watched the IPL and decided they have had enough.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Imagine when they have the p20,cricket fans have 20/20 fatigue,most must have watched the IPL and decided they have had enough.
Exactly. It's quite easy to get fed up with a diet of T20 which, let's be honest, just isn't a very good game. Its continued appeal lies in its convenience / "fun day out" aspects but basically those things won't be sufficient to sustain it once people realise, as they have predictably started to do, that it's a pretty inane version of cricket.

In India I suspect that the razzmatazz, celebrity backing and wall-to-wall advertising and coverage will act as an extra driver for continued success, but again, it's the same basic product that you're selling. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it'll still be a pig.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In India I suspect that the razzmatazz, celebrity backing and wall-to-wall advertising and coverage will act as an extra driver for continued success, but again, it's the same basic product that you're selling. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it'll still be a pig.
One suspects that T20 games will be predictable and basic but the success will be in 'events'. The short nature of the game lends itself to Grand Prix style events and tournaments.

Bi-lateral T20 will get boring quickly but a full calander of fun and interesting tournaments (eg Sevens rugby etc or a WC every year) will keep the crowds and the sponsors.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
One suspects that T20 games will be predictable and basic but the success will be in 'events'. The short nature of the game lends itself to Grand Prix style events and tournaments.

Bi-lateral T20 will get boring quickly but a full calander of fun and interesting tournaments (eg Sevens rugby etc or a WC every year) will keep the crowds and the sponsors.
Yes and I do think that T20 has a place. But the questions, to my mind, are: (a) how much T20 can the market support? and (b) how much T20 is in the broader game's interests?

I suspect that the cricket authorities will have a pretty shrewd idea as to (a), and couldn't give much of a toss about (b). The ECB may strike a different balance than, say, the BCCI would, not least because Test cricket in England has a far greater financial importance than it does in India.

brockley

International Captain
With IPl on,the ecb did not promote the english 20/20 well,the world cup 20/20 is promoted better by the ecb,but the national comp no.
But yeh their is fatigue their,who could follow another 20/20 after the IPL.

brockley

International Captain
A lot of overseas players missing so far for clubs.
I am more interested in county cricket to be honest,IPL has fatigued me.
Dave warner not even in england yet.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the spinners doing a good job, Vaughan gone to a magnificent catch by all accounts, but should have been out runout before but umpire wasn't in position.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Faf opening the bowling. :)

How slow is the OT wicket? 6 overs of spin in the first 10...
Not sure, might just be that Keedy and Du Plessis are our best T20 bowlers. Yorkshire have been terrible by all accounts. Now 66-6 in the 14th. Not gonna complain. About to rain tho, but should only be for a short time

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
dave, have you seen anything of Stephen Parry?
No, hopefully he will be playing on Friday though. Hopefully he's learning a lot from Keeds

As a side point Lancs always seem to be on tv at the wrong times, like friday ill be at the game and sunday its my godsons christening.

stumpski

International Captain
Wickets starting to fall at the Oval after Sussex got off to a flier (100 off the first 10). 142-5, got the commentary on now. :)

Nel took a pasting earlier, not sure if he'll bowl his four.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Going tomorrow as well. I shouldn't really be though, bought tickets this morning thinking the game was today, then found out as soon as I'd done so it was tomorrow. Luckily everyone can still go and the weather looks like it might just hold. Not overly optimistic about our chances, I think far too much rests on Prince and du Plessis.
Coming back to this, I don't think our batting is that terrible for the T20 if we get our order right. Prince and Du Plessis are our only class players but the likes of Cross, Croft etc are good for quick cameos which are vital in T20. There's always Mal Loye to come back in as well.

Can't see us winning the comp but think we are a chance to get through the group stage. More than likely depends on whether the other bowlers can cover for Mahmoods 4 over spell.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Coming back to this, I don't think our batting is that terrible for the T20 if we get our order right. Prince and Du Plessis are our only class players but the likes of Cross, Croft etc are good for quick cameos which are vital in T20. There's always Mal Loye to come back in as well.

Can't see us winning the comp but think we are a chance to get through the group stage. More than likely depends on whether the other bowlers can cover for Mahmoods 4 over spell.
Mahmood's death bowling tonight was utterly fantastic. The last over of the innings went for 3 runs- one of which was a bye off the last ball.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah the spinners doing a good job, Vaughan gone to a magnificent catch by all accounts, but should have been out runout before but umpire wasn't in position.
Greatest catch I've ever seen tbh. Remember Matthew Sinclair's catch against Australia? It was a bit like that, only if he hadn't caught it it would have flown about 8 feet over the boundary for six.

Completely changed the game too.

Last edited: