• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is it time to sack dave hussey

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But they're in the squad.

He means other batsman in Australian domestic cricket who could have done better than Dave Hussey.

I'm a huge Hussey fan, so his performances have really disappointed me. He isn't up to it, but I guess his question is, from what was available, who would have been the better option?

Watson and Marsh (one of whom would have opened) were injured, and Symonds was not available as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Exactly.

Oh, and Jakester, Dave Hussey won't end up playing Test cricket. Although I'd be interested in seeing how he'd go in the sub-continent, because he can be a very destructive player of spin bowling.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Because, until the last two seasons, his record in Pura Cup was just OK, and it was his time in England that was buffering the stats a bit. However, he began to rectify that a bit in 2007/08.

thierry henry

International Coach
Because, until the last two seasons, his record in Pura Cup was just OK, and it was his time in England that was buffering the stats a bit. However, he began to rectify that a bit in 2007/08.
So?

Is county cricket not legitimate FC cricket?

It's funny how, if a player succeeds massively in county cricket and less so elsewhere, county cricket gets disregarded as some sort of second-rate competition, yet county cricket seems to be the favoured competition for international players from around the world to improve their games and become better FC players :huh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
32 is getting a bit old though to make a planned test debut, that's even two years older than M Hussey who I think is a better player. Especially since Australia seems to have other batting options. Different if he's just called in as injury cover though.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
So?

It's funny how, if a player succeeds massively in county cricket and less so elsewhere, county cricket gets disregarded as some sort of second-rate competition, yet county cricket seems to be the favoured competition for international players from around the world to improve their games and become better FC players :huh:
Well, it's all about standard, for mine.

County cricket is legitimate FC cricket, but the Pura Cup/Sheffield Shield is generally considered to be of a higher FC standard. This is understandable, given Australia's general dominance over England over the past 20 or so years.

For instance, while many, many Australian players perform brilliantly in England, not as many perform brilliantly in Australia. That's why it can be a little difficult to use county cricket averages as an indicator of who is the best performed for what position - and so forth.

Also, some overseas players are either involved with Sheffield Shield sides (Graham Thorpe) or have been playing in said competiton - but they're generally very good to world class (like Younis Khan or Andy Flower).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
So?

In terms of rating him as a player, it comes into account. In terms of selection, it's very much secondary.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He will have a very good series against Pak (edit - if he plays of course). As will most of the Australian side.

Last edited: