• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar the greatest - Hadlee

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Cricinfo - Tendulkar the greatest - Hadlee

Former New Zealand all-rounder Richard Hadlee believes Sachin Tendulkar is the greatest batsman ever to grace the game. Hadlee, 57, who became the first official inductee to ICC's Hall of Fame on the first day of the Wellington Test, said he was in awe of Tendulkar whose achievements down the years "clearly had been phenomenal".

"I played against Sachin on his tour here in 1990 when he got that 80 or 90-odd at McLean Park in Napier," Hadlee told PTI. "You could see then, as a youngster, he was a player of immense ability and talent.

"We didn't see at that time and you cannot visualise 20 years down the track what the player is likely to do in the context of the history of the game. When you score as many runs as he has in Test and one-day cricket and score as many centuries and half centuries as he has done, it makes him arguably the greatest player ever in the history of the game. Statistics speak volumes of his contribution to Indian and world cricket. He is a phenomenal player."

Hadlee said comparisons with Donald Bradman should also drive Tendulkar as a player. "Well, Sir Donald Bradman has been regarded as the greatest player ever," Hadlee said. "He played just Test cricket. He hasn't played any other forms of the game. Clearly, that is understandable. But to see Sachin and other players actually adjust to different forms of the game and different conditions all around the world, even though the average is fractionally more than half of the Don's is in itself incredible. You got to respect it and write those performances."

The ICC has drawn up an initial list of 55 inductees to the Hall of Fame, and Hadlee was the only New Zealander to have made the cut. "I have been very fortunate during my playing career and to be recognised is very very special," Hadlee said. "To be one of the first 55 inductees, it doesn't get much better than that.

He said he would like to be remembered as "somebody who played hard in a very successful era for New Zealand cricket". "This honour is right up there with the others," he said. "So many fantastic players have been recognised, some that I have played against, others that I watched and read about as a youngster, and many others in the early 1900s that were legendary in their own right and fantastic role models."

Hadlee played 86 Tests from 1973 to 1990 during which he took a then record 431 wickets and scored 3,124 runs. He also picked up 158 wickets and made 1,751 runs in 115 ODIs. Hadlee said his "best Test win" came at Brisbane in 1985-86 where he picked up 15 wickets. "As sports people, we all strive for perfection and the closest I could get to that was against the Australians at the Gabba," Hadlee said. "We'd never won in Australia before, and to go ahead and win that Test by an innings and 41 runs and to make a personal contribution of nine wickets in the first innings (he had a hand in the 10th dismissal as a catcher) and six in the second and scored a few runs… you can't get better than really. Everything came together at the right time..."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tendulkar being 2nd to Bradman as a Test batsman has some merit... plenty, in fact. Being better than him clearly has none.

I've never been a fan of the blurring of Tests and ODIs together, so even if you do try that, I won't be taking any notice.

Slifer

International Captain
Well all i have to say is that Hadlee is entitled to his opinion. But for me SRT is ARGUABLY the SECOND best batsman of all time in tests and ARGUABLY the best in ODIs. U tend to get these kinds of rhetoric whenever a great batsman tours a particular country so im not surprised.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Bradman is #1. No question.

But even as betting when u combine both ODI and Test--Viv is obviously top 3 and so is Sachin.
But then you gotta factor in how ViV was top notch with crappy bats and long boundries. Also he was standout from the players of his era
And doing what he did with his SR is amazing.

Then Sachin, one man carrying hopes of 1billion people.
During 90s....we just asked one question "is sachin batting"? if he is then India has chance to win if not gg.
Everyone was there to watch just one guy and that was Sachin. It was always one man show. When he got out everyone would just move away from the TV. This is big deal when u have one TV in one community which is frequent event in villages.

Sachin as the greatest is argueable but as one of the greatest or top 5 is given.

bagapath

International Captain
Who's the clear number 2?
it is supposed to be a tongue in cheek statement uppercut. remember warne's assessment of batsmen in late 90s? he said tendulkar first, daylight next and everyone else after that. similarly i feel the difference between bradman and the rest is so huge that bradman should be kept a notch above the other great batters.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar is worthy of vast respect but let's get real for a moment: he's not even outstanding among his own peers. Lara, Ponting, Dravid and Kallis are all of comparable calibre to him. Best of all time? Er, no.

martin88

Banned
A bit of sucking upto the crowd there by Sir Richard. Tendulkar has a case for being called one among the greatest 5 to have played professional cricket. But the greatest?

ret

International Debutant
that's a good analysis by Hadlee .... He has factored both Tests and ODIs, along with the stats, the ability to adjust b/w the two formats and conditions around the world

Based on those criteria, Richards and Tendulkar are ahead of the pack, imo

Evermind

International Debutant
cricinfo - tendulkar the greatest - hadlee

former new zealand all-rounder richard hadlee believes sachin tendulkar is the greatest batsman ever to grace the game. Hadlee, 57, who became the first official inductee to icc's hall of fame on the first day of the wellington test, said he was in awe of tendulkar whose achievements down the years "clearly had been phenomenal".

"i played against sachin on his tour here in 1990 when he got that 80 or 90-odd at mclean park in napier," hadlee told pti. "you could see then, as a youngster, he was a player of immense ability and talent.

"we didn't see at that time and you cannot visualise 20 years down the track what the player is likely to do in the context of the history of the game. When you score as many runs as he has in test and one-day cricket and score as many centuries and half centuries as he has done, it makes him arguably the greatest player ever in the history of the game. Statistics speak volumes of his contribution to indian and world cricket. He is a phenomenal player."

hadlee said comparisons with donald bradman should also drive tendulkar as a player. "well, sir donald bradman has been regarded as the greatest player ever," hadlee said. "he played just test cricket. He hasn't played any other forms of the game. Clearly, that is understandable. But to see sachin and other players actually adjust to different forms of the game and different conditions all around the world, even though the average is fractionally more than half of the don's is in itself incredible. You got to respect it and write those performances."

the icc has drawn up an initial list of 55 inductees to the hall of fame, and hadlee was the only new zealander to have made the cut. "i have been very fortunate during my playing career and to be recognised is very very special," hadlee said. "to be one of the first 55 inductees, it doesn't get much better than that.

He said he would like to be remembered as "somebody who played hard in a very successful era for new zealand cricket". "this honour is right up there with the others," he said. "so many fantastic players have been recognised, some that i have played against, others that i watched and read about as a youngster, and many others in the early 1900s that were legendary in their own right and fantastic role models."

hadlee played 86 tests from 1973 to 1990 during which he took a then record 431 wickets and scored 3,124 runs. He also picked up 158 wickets and made 1,751 runs in 115 odis. Hadlee said his "best test win" came at brisbane in 1985-86 where he picked up 15 wickets. "as sports people, we all strive for perfection and the closest i could get to that was against the australians at the gabba," hadlee said. "we'd never won in australia before, and to go ahead and win that test by an innings and 41 runs and to make a personal contribution of nine wickets in the first innings (he had a hand in the 10th dismissal as a catcher) and six in the second and scored a few runs… you can't get better than really. Everything came together at the right time..."
8-)

Flem274*

123/5
The next NZer to fawn over this bunch (even if it is someone completely brilliant like Tendulkar) needs to be shot (this even includes Hadlee).

Sucking up much? imo, yes.

Tendulkar is NOT better than Bradman, end of.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar is worthy of vast respect but let's get real for a moment: he's not even outstanding among his own peers. Lara, Ponting, Dravid and Kallis are all of comparable calibre to him. Best of all time? Er, no.
lara yes...ponting seriously debatable, dravid and kallis no chance...

as to the discussion at hand, no he is not better than bradman, there are good arguments for placing him as the 2nd best, i don't think he is however...

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
lara yes...ponting seriously debatable, dravid and kallis no chance...

as to the discussion at hand, no he is not better than bradman, there are good arguments for placing him as the 2nd best, i don't think he is however...
Well I think we more or less agree. Even if we disagree about Ponting, Dravid and Kallis, there's always the likes of Sobers, Headley, Hutton, Hammond, Hobbs, Worrell, Sutcliffe, Chappell, Pollock, Trumper, Grace, Richards, Gavaskar. Is Tendulkar better than any of that lot, let alone all of them? Seriously debateable.

As for Ponting, Dravid and Kallis, to be clear, I'm not saying that Sachin isn't better than them, merely that he's not outstanding in their company. In other words, they're comparable to him.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd have only Bradman, Headley and Hobbs clearly ahead of Tendulkar. Sobers probably, Hammond very probably and Vijay Merchant quite possibly (though his is always a case of a fair amount of guesswork).

Anyone else I'd have to work jolly hard to have a chance of thinking them to be Tendulkar's superior.

ret

International Debutant
I think when you call a batsman (who is not Bradman) the greatest, its implied that it's for second place.
I too thought that Bradman is #1 is understood .... and i guess it's also implied that this is from those who have played both ODIs and Tests

this is like someone saying that BMW is the best then a bunch of people coming in and saying that Rolls-Royce is the best when clearly BMW competes with the likes of Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Jaguar and Infiniti :ph34r:

Last edited: