• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

adharcric

International Coach
Surely, we can't forget the bowlers. Once again, we'll start at #1 and work our way down using a preferential voting system: each voter provides primary (2) and secondary (1) selections from the pool of remaining candidates and the highest-tallied bowler at the end of the two-day voting period gets in. The idea is to focus on the oldest (longer) form of cricket but it's up to you to decide how much importance should be given to performance in test cricket. Discussion is highly encouraged, but please do not start posting articles or pollute the thread with overdone topics.

Let's start the voting for the #1 bowler of all-time.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If we're taking all forms of cricket into account, I'd like to remind the members that Malcolm Marshall averages 27 with the ball in ODI cricket.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Well, in Tests or ODI? In Tests:

1) Malcolm Marshall
2) Sid Barnes (averaged 16, but in an era of dodgy covered pitches, so...)

In ODI's:
1) Joel Garner (well he was bloody effective)
2) Glenn McGrath (by a minute margin, over Donald, Wasim and Murali)

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
If we're taking all forms of cricket into account, I'd like to remind the members that Malcolm Marshall averages 27 with the ball in ODI cricket.
And yet from April 1984 through to his final ODI in late 1991, he never dropped out of the top 3 in the ODI ratings. He was never as devastating in the shorter form of the game as he was in Tests, but I think his average of just under 27 is misleading when considering his quality as an ODI bowler.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well, in Tests or ODI? In Tests:

1) Malcolm Marshall
2) Sid Barnes (averaged 16, but in an era of dodgy covered pitches, so...)

In ODI's:
1) Joel Garner (well he was bloody effective)
2) Glenn McGrath (by a minute margin, over Donald, Wasim and Murali)
No you don't rate them separately, you rate best bowler taking into account Tests, ODIs, FC and List A. Barnes never played ODI cricket, probably would've been awesome at it.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
No you don't rate them separately, you rate best bowler taking into account Tests, ODIs, FC and List A. Barnes never played ODI cricket, probably would've been awesome at it.
Ah, well in that case:

1) Malcolm Marshall
2) Sid Barnes (you're right - he probably would have found a way to succeed in ODI cricket)