• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Claire Taylor - Wisden Cricketer of the Year

stumpski

International Captain
Good. No doubt many will accuse the editor of tokenism, but the women's game is a valid form of the game and there's no reason why its leading player shouldn't be honoured.

Besides, it's the editor's personal choice - he doesn't have to justify it to anyone. It's not as if they put her on the cover, maybe that would have been going too far.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see, because I think she deserves it. An absolutely awesome player.

Also, I'm glad that they've broken with tradition in this way, with such a good player, rather than just picking someone one year to make a headline.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

We've really rather struggled for deserving candidates the last couple of years, so it's good that an award has been made to a deserving party outside the traditional catchment rather than giving it to an undeserving one within it.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Good for her, well deserved.

I wish the award was less England centric though. Why Anderson, Boucher and Mckenzie have gotten the award is beyond me. I mean Mckenzie was awful in Australia after England and has now been dropped. Boucher's been having a tough time too. Still not as bad Ian Bell getting it after averaging 16 against India at home, that was just hilarious.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The award is for contribution to the English summer, though (iirc) it's not meant to be the best players in the world. That's why it's always English players/county players/players who've made a contribution when they've toured here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wish the award was less England centric though.
Why? Wisden is a publication centred on the English game. It does try to give a World view - hence the Wisden top-40 on the globe - but essentially it is a publication of most use to English cricket. Cricketers Of The Year are always selected on "influence on the English season" (with the exception of the few years 2000, 2001 and 2002 where they changed the criteria).

If you want awards centred elsewhere, read a different book.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The award is for contribution to the English summer, though (iirc) it's not meant to be the best players in the world. That's why it's always English players/county players/players who've made a contribution when they've toured here.
Exactly right. It's also worth noting that a player can only be named a Wisden Cricketer of the Year once in their careers, so anyone who has ever previously won the award is automatically disqualified from contention.

Any news on who Wisden have named as Leading Cricketer in the World?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Boucher is a bit of an odd one tstl.
As I say - the last couple of years have been a real struggle, there's been some terrible cricket played over here in 2007 and 2008. Hopefully this year will see some better weather and better cricket simualtaneously.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Graeme Smith for the bolter?

Wouldn't put it past him.
He must be a hell of a shot - a superb year with the bat and arguably an even better one as skipper. Steyn a big chance too, as is Chanderpaul - though his relative lack of Test cricket in 2008 may count against him.

Could have no complaints with the award going to Smith though, I reckon he'd be my pick.

stumpski

International Captain
Flintoff on the front cover is a more curious choice I think - he had one of the more forgettable years of his career. It does look as if that was just to sell books. Which is odd, because at £35 it's hardly going to attract the casual browser. You either buy it every year or not at all.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good for her, well deserved.

I wish the award was less England centric though. Why Anderson, Boucher and Mckenzie have gotten the award is beyond me. I mean Mckenzie was awful in Australia after England and has now been dropped. Boucher's been having a tough time too. Still not as bad Ian Bell getting it after averaging 16 against India at home, that was just hilarious.
Every year we hear this whine FFS

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough about it being England centred, though I thought it was a better read in 2001 and 2002, may have also been because myself and some friends had gotten our names in it! I suppose if they included the English winter tours it would be a touch depressing!

Don't get why Flintoff's on the cover other than for sales, he's hardly played and when he has he hasn't done too well. Why didn't they put Strauss or Pietersen on instead? They've actually done well! Smith is probably favourite, though I wouldn't begrudge Chander's it. I wish they made Atherton (best cricket writer out there IMO, and he's still young!) editor over Sclyd Berry, I really don't rate him much.