• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Group Stage

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dont you all feel that 3 matches in the group stage of an ODI World Cup is too less? Teams like Ireland and Bangladesh qualified for the super six stage last year because of this. I feel that teams should play at least 5 matches in the group stage so that teams that got lucky a couple of times dont end up in the super six stage like they did last time in the 2007 WC. Teams should have more time to regroup.

/rant.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't mind a longer first group stage if it makes the second stage shorter but I have absolutely no sympathy for any team that goes out. If you don't want to get knocked out then don't get beat.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Dont you all feel that 3 matches in the group stage of an ODI World Cup is too less? Teams like Ireland and Bangladesh qualified for the super six stage last year because of this. I feel that teams should play at least 5 matches in the group stage so that teams that got lucky a couple of times dont end up in the super six stage like they did last time in the 2007 WC. Teams should have more time to regroup.

/rant.
Sadly, the ICC have already listened to this.

At 2011, we'll have two groups of 7 in the first stage, and then knock-out quarter-finals. So basically, a lot of meaningless games to confirm the top eight through, and then a knock-out to decide the trophy.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, they invite us to our tournament, we beat two test-playing nations and draw with a third, and they change the rules for next time so we won't do it again.

If we still get to the final 8 in 2011 they'll be playing best of fives for 2015.

Shri

Mr. Glass

/rant.
Amazing what a drunken mind can do.

But still, whats the use of promoting teams like Bangladesh into super sixes only to see every other team murder them?

turnstyle

State 12th Man

But still, whats the use of promoting teams like Bangladesh into super sixes only to see every other team murder them?

Ooooook, so going by that logic, England also shouldn't be allowed to win their group stage matches either because going by their woeful performances in the West Indies, they're only going to be trounced by the likes of Australia and South Africa in the super six stage too. Maybe we should have made Ireland replay their match against Pakistan until they lost?

I tell you what. It's attitudes like that which keep cricket in the 18th century

can anyone say.....?

I'm sorry, but i'm so sick of minnow bashing even when they're doing well

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Murder them South Africa-style.

Noone promoted them, they were there on merit because they outplayed India.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year

/rant.
The 3 game rule was implimented because too many group games gave the likes of Kenya and a weakened Zim a path to sneak through

Sadly, the ICC have already listened to this.

At 2011, we'll have two groups of 7 in the first stage, and then knock-out quarter-finals. So basically, a lot of meaningless games to confirm the top eight through, and then a knock-out to decide the trophy.
I will not be surprised if one of the four associates sneaks through and the format gets blamed AGAIN!8-)

Don't like losing games!
Want rules changed!
What he said