• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best minnow basher of this decade

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Australia's only been challenged in just 6 different series over the past decade: India 2001, India 2003/04, England 2005, India 2007/08, India 2008 and South Africa 2008/09. If you combine all of those statistics from those series' then Hayden has easily been Australia's best batsman over the past decade when Australia have been challenged.

Cricinfo Statsguru - Test matches - Batting records

He is the only batsman out of our lineup to have scored multiple 100's and have averaged over 50, even though Andrew Symonds is the only other batsman to have averaged over 50. Even the great Ricky Ponting has played more matches then Hayden over this period but has scored less runs, at a noticiably lower average.

One good performance against a minnow doesn't make the player a "minnow basher". To call and even comtemplate calling Hayden a minnow basher when he has performed best out of all of the Australian batsman against challenging opposition of the past decade, is simply laughable.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not scoring runs against Bangladesh is irrelevant.
Tend to agree with you, but there's certainly nothing bad about scoring against Bangladesh. It's ridiculous how scoring against a weak attack makes you a lesser player in so many people's eyes. The thing to do is simply filter out their stats against minnows and judge them as though they were FC games.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Tend to agree with you, but there's certainly nothing bad about scoring against Bangladesh. It's ridiculous how scoring against a weak attack makes you a lesser player in so many people's eyes. The thing to do is simply filter out their stats against minnows and judge them as though they were FC games.
Exactly, I mean in circumstances like where Gilchrist & Ponting scored 100's in the same match against Bangladesh to prevent Australia from a humilating defeat on a dodgy pitch - Why someone would want to deduct statistics like this is beyhond me.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just a point about the opening post, I don't think it's fair to consider Zimbabwe a minnow from 1992-2002. They were a genuinely good team for much of that time.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Zimbabwe should be considered minnows in the period post 2003 world Cup

Murali's record of 133 wickets in 16 tests is absolutely a shocker :@

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia's only been challenged in just 6 different series over the past decade: India 2001, India 2003/04, England 2005, India 2007/08, India 2008 and South Africa 2008/09. If you combine all of those statistics from those series' then Hayden has easily been Australia's best batsman over the past decade when Australia have been challenged.

Cricinfo Statsguru - Test matches - Batting records

He is the only batsman out of our lineup to have scored multiple 100's and have averaged over 50, even though Andrew Symonds is the only other batsman to have averaged over 50. Even the great Ricky Ponting has played more matches then Hayden over this period but has scored less runs, at a noticiably lower average.

One good performance against a minnow doesn't make the player a "minnow basher". To call and even comtemplate calling Hayden a minnow basher when he has performed best out of all of the Australian batsman against challenging opposition of the past decade, is simply laughable.
Very interesting. There are times though that the batsman were just too good in other series, that's why we weren't challenged!

Also nice to see McGrath's average of 41.50 in these tough matches, crazy really.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Lulz at people just throwing names out without checking the facts.

My vote goes to SRT , test batting 6hundreds in 14 tests vs Zim and Bang ,1474 runs @ 92
Murali for test bowlers
These two 'flippin murder'(c wat I did there) minnows Zim and Bang.

Surprised to see Waugh at the top of the list. I think a person should not be criticized for bashing the minnows as long as the batsman performs well against good teams also

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
If you select the whole cricketing history, Barnes, Lohman and Trueman may also appear as verygood minnow bashers.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
I Pathan another joke bowler
vs Bang and Zim
4 tests
128.1 overs
33 maidens
39 wickets
11.5 ave
19.7 SR
6 5Wicket hauls
2 10wicket hauls
|
vs the rest
25 tests
852.2 overs
179 maidens
61 wickets
45.49 ave
83.8 SR
1 5Wicket haul.This 5 wicket haul was in that mad Karachi test match where he hat tricked in the 1st over of the test.
39% of wickets vs Zim and Bang.

how is this Migara?
11.5 vs minnows
45.5 vs the rest