cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ganguly's declaration in that Kolkata match

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

Ganguly's declaration in that Kolkata match

Yes I know I'm about 8 years too late with this thread but I've only recently had the chance to watch the highlights of that match.

Anyways as amazing as India's win was, why did Ganguly declare so late? Shouldn't he have declared the moment VVS got out or at the very latest when Dravid did?

Also why did Waugh enforce the follow-on, instead of setting a target and making India bat last.

State Vice-Captain gettingbetter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    Yes I know I'm about 8 years too late with this thread but I've only recently had the chance to watch the highlights of that match.

Anyways as amazing as India's win was, why did Ganguly declare so late? Shouldn't he have declared the moment VVS got out or at the very latest when Dravid did?

Also why did Waugh enforce the follow-on, instead of setting a target and making India bat last.
    Its all about hindsight. Ever since then, there has been a trend for teams not to enfore the follow on - how much that has to do with that with this Test match is still up for debate, but many people do cite this Test for the change.

As for the declaration for India, just think about Ganguly's perspective. India's second innings was probably about saving the Test rather than saving it.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar

Grinding the opponent into the dust. Even if the Aussies were able to bat out the draw, the momentum probably would have carried over into a win in the 3rd.

The question is why would he have not enforced the follow-on? He had a team which had killed India in the first Test, were well on top in the match and the bowlers fresh because they'd bowled India out quickly (50-odd overs the innings lasted, from memory). How was he to know Laxman would play the innings of several lifetimes and a previous well out-of-form Dravid would play a similar freak knock?

And even then, as well as Harbhajan bowled in the Aussie second innings, it was Tendulkar knocking over Hayden, Gilchrist and Warne that delivered the knock-out punch. Was a weird match and as entertaining as they are, the highlights don't tell the full story.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Grinding the opponent into the dust. Even if the Aussies were able to bat out the draw, the momentum probably would have carried over into a win in the 3rd.

The question is why would he have not enforced the follow-on? He had a team which had killed India in the first Test, were well on top in the match and the bowlers fresh because they'd bowled India out quickly (50-odd overs the innings lasted, from memory). How was he to know Laxman would play the innings of several lifetimes and a previous well out-of-form Dravid would play a similar freak knock?

And even then, as well as Harbhajan bowled in the Aussie second innings, it was Tendulkar knocking over Hayden, Gilchrist and Warne that delivered the knock-out punch. Was a weird match and as entertaining as they are, the highlights don't tell the full story.
    I'm not saying the decision to enforce the follow-on was a howler but surely it would have made more sense to get 275-300 more runs, set India an impossible target and give Warne the last day to bowl in.

That would have guaranteed that Australia didn't lose as opposed to giving India a chance, albeit an unbelievably slim chance, of winning.

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    I'm not saying the decision to enforce the follow-on was a howler but surely it would have made more sense to get 275-300 more runs, set India an impossible target and give Warne the last day to bowl in.

That would have guaranteed that Australia didn't lose as opposed to giving India a chance, albeit an unbelievably slim chance, of winning.
    That was one hell of a game.. I dont know if many remember this.. Ponting would have a very good shout against Dravid on the 4th day morning which would be turned down.. to me that was hitting the middle stump.

Australia could have easily drawn that game, instead they chose to chase glory and ended up losing the game. they had to bat what 2 sessions and they decided to go after the Indian bowling and a couple of decisions where iffy towards the end. Not the one to get Warne out though...

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar

Hindsight. India were utterly demoralised after their first innings.

Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    That was one hell of a game.. I dont know if many remember this.. Ponting would have a very good shout against Dravid on the 4th day morning which would be turned down.. to me that was hitting the middle stump.

Australia could have easily drawn that game, instead they chose to chase glory and ended up losing the game. they had to bat what 2 sessions and they decided to go after the Indian bowling and a couple of decisions where iffy towards the end. Not the one to get Warne out though...
    Yeah that did look out, but it may just have impacted outside off.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    What was the downside in enforcing? By not enforcing the follow on you reduce the time you have for a win. Your bowlers are fresh and you've dominated the first Test, and you're on a fifteen game winning streak in Tests. India are falling apart. It was absolutely the right decision IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Hindsight. India were utterly demoralised after their first innings.
    Yeah, I guess. And that Indian team really was a pretty poor outfit. Both the openers were liabilities, they had Prasad on his last legs, and FFS Venkatapathy Raju.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    What was the downside in enforcing? By not enforcing the follow on you reduce the time you have for a win. Your bowlers are fresh and you've dominated the first Test, and you're on a fifteen game winning streak in Tests. India are falling apart. It was absolutely the right decision IMO.
    and they were trailing by what 274 runs after having been bowled out for 159... who would not enforce the follow on? Australia lost the game when they decided to be attacking in their second innings.

I think Steve Waugh said something to the effect of we don't play draw cricket ...

@SS

Like I've just said above, I think I'm subconsciously thinking of this current Indian side rather then the side of 2001.

Also I forgot to mention Mongia, a decent keeper who could hold up an end but he was no Dhoni.

That team was heavily reliant on Dravid and Tendulkar, if I remember correctly and quite prone to collapses, especially under a bit of pressure.

Your current Indian side is so different its unbelievable. They've got lots more mental strength, better bowlers, better openers, better fielders, I could go on and on.
    Last edited by Glacier; 31-03-2009 at 05:50 PM.

That Ponting ball to Dravid was actually not out, the right decision was made, as it hit him outside the line of off stump. But in real time it looked bloody close. I would have given it. Great umpiring in the end.

Punter was getting some good shape in during that spell. Hayden had a bowl as well didn't he?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    That Ponting ball to Dravid was actually not out, the right decision was made, as it hit him outside the line of off stump. But in real time it looked bloody close. I would have given it. Great umpiring in the end.

Punter was getting some good shape in during that spell. Hayden had a bowl as well didn't he?
    The umpire was Bansal i think.. he was pretty clueless towards the end of the game...

one of the greatest test matches i have seen, in fact for inspiration and entertainment it should be right on top of the list.

with two of the greatest bowlers of all time, mcgrath and warne, on his side steve waugh had every right to enforce the follow on. once laxman and dravid turned the whole match around with that historical partnership, ganguly wanted to make sure the aussies were totally demoralized before he declared. i remember shastri wondering in the commentary what was keeping the indian team go on and on beyond a lead of 325. and, yes, sachin's wickets were the final nails in the coffin.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post

Nah, we woz robbed mate!!!!!!!!!
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information