• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly's declaration in that Kolkata match

Evermind

International Debutant
Waugh's problem was an inability to adapt when batsmen took it to his world-class bowling unit. This is partially evidenced by his inability to beat India at home in 2003-04 (and his team were nearly beaten), when he didn't have such a great unit.
I still think Waugh reacted much better to pressure as a captain than Ponting.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
I still think Waugh reacted much better to pressure as a captain than Ponting.
External pressure, perhaps. Not so sure about pressure on the cricket field itself. Despite his defensive tendencies, at least Ponting was willing to try relatively novel things to get wickets (like with VVS Laxman in Sydney). He's also more flexible than Waugh was, especially recently, like when he set attacking fields to South Africa's batsmen throughout long periods of this away series, only to revert back to defence and back and forth.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I remember the match as if it was yesterday and do recall thinking there wasn't much point going on after Laxman's dismissal. Not so much for the win I think for had Laxman not got out we would have supported his going on to get the first triple by an Indian and if he and Dravid were still there, naybe go for the highest innings record. We realy did not think, our bowling would run through Australia. But still once Laxman was out we thought there was no more individual glory to be gleaned from this game :) Maybe a double hundred by Dravid. .. maybe.

The win came as a big surprise and as someone has written earlier, it was Tendulkar's three wickets that breathed life into India's efforts. Otherwise i the match was looking almost dead by then.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Has anyone read Wuagh's autobiography? I've always wanted to but it looks damn intiimidating, I mean 800 sides of Steve Waugh... I wanted to know his opinions and recollections on the match. Still my favourite sporting match ever, Federer vs Nadal last year at Wimbledon would have probably been top if Federer had won, the match was such an amazing spectacle.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I remember watching the match and having a sick feeling in my stomach because I had a weird feeling that something bad would happen. The way Laxman batted in the first innings when India were bundled out for 160 odd gave me a feeling that he was destined for something special. I was only 10 at the time, so it probably means nothing.

On the otherhand, it was probably the greatest series of cricket that I have ever watched. Matched everything that the 2005 Ashes series had a finish that went right down to the wire, with India requiring 3 runs to win with 2 wickets in hand and 2 tailenders at the crease.

That Ponting ball to Dravid was actually not out, the right decision was made, as it hit him outside the line of off stump. But in real time it looked bloody close. I would have given it. Great umpiring in the end.
It did hit him inline.

bagapath

International Captain
Has anyone read Wuagh's autobiography? I've always wanted to but it looks damn intiimidating, I mean 800 sides of Steve Waugh... I wanted to know his opinions and recollections on the match. Still my favourite sporting match ever, Federer vs Nadal last year at Wimbledon would have probably been top if Federer had won, the match was such an amazing spectacle.
i did and found it not particularly memorable. he has tried his best to not bore you and has succeeded for the most part, that is the only good thing about the book.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
There is a terrific CD with highlights of all 3 of the epic test matches of 2001 series available in India and on ebay for anyone interested

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
There is a terrific CD with highlights of all 3 of the epic test matches of 2001 series available in India and on ebay for anyone interested
Yeah I watched the whole thing on my friend's in-house cinema (don't ask...), it was awesome! You can buy it from Amazon I think too.

Dissector

International Debutant
There is a simple explanation for the declaration; Indian captains tend to be highly risk-averse and Ganguly was no exception. In a way his decision made sense though. India had pulled off a miraculous save but it was highly unlikely to bowl Australia out in under a day when Australia couldn't manage a single wicket on Day 4. At the same time Australia had a formidable batting line-up which had helped win 16 tests in a row so why take a chance by leaving them a gettable score? So he played safe, batted Australia out of the game leaving India with only the smallest whiff of victory. As it happened Australia crumbled under the pressure and India pulled off an amazing win.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
There is a simple explanation for the declaration; Indian captains tend to be highly risk-averse and Ganguly was no exception.
This is why we'll never be the no.1 side in the rankings, it's so annoying. Dhoni has to become more like Imran Khan or Tiger Pataudi with his captaincy. Attack, attack, attack!