• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is currently India's best Test batsman?

Who is currently India's best Test batsman?

• Total voters

Maximus0723

State Regular
I also think it's Sachin. He is the semi-backbone right now.

With his absence India would suffer most then through absence of any other Indian batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Good to see Dasa is still around. Say hi once in a while you douche :p

Sachin's last 3 series (8 tests with one more to go) have resulted in these scores:

10*
103*
DNB

Average of 63.46 with 3 centures and 3 fifties. Probably be a little disappointed in him not kicking on more often (by his standards), but nonetheless, hopefully he can keep up this good form.

Batting like a champion :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
probably... Sachin did fail in that SL series as well but he is surely there amongst the top 3... And his batting in Australia and after that here against Aus and Eng as well as here in NZ have been nothing short of sublime... :)

Dissector

International Debutant
On current form Gambhir deserves a mention. I am still skeptical that he has what it takes to succeed in pace-friendly conditions but you hardly get those very often these days. In the conditions that he has actually faced he has been superb over the last year. I think he gets the edge over Sachin because of the Sri Lanka series. This was a big series with tough oppenents and a huge challenge for the batting from M&M. Sachin failed and that probably cost India the series. Of course an opening batsman does have an advantage against spin, because he can get his eye in before facing them, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Gambhir played well.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
probably... Sachin did fail in that SL series as well but he is surely there amongst the top 3... And his batting in Australia and after that here against Aus and Eng as well as here in NZ have been nothing short of sublime... :)
Hmmm he's had a lot of flat pitches to bat on though. Not to take anything away from a lot of excellent innings, but if i was picking the world's best current batsman i'd probably go for Shiv.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hmmm he's had a lot of flat pitches to bat on though. Not to take anything away from a lot of excellent innings, but if i was picking the world's best current batsman i'd probably go for Shiv.
I don't recall any raging seamers in the recent series against England for the Windies either... And Sachin faced reasonably difficult conditions in Australia in Melbourne and his knock on the 5th day pitch at Chennai was great too.. That pitch was definitely not THAT easy to bat on....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't recall any raging seamers in the recent series against England for the Windies either... And Sachin faced reasonably difficult conditions in Australia in Melbourne and his knock on the 5th day pitch at Chennai was great too.. That pitch was definitely not THAT easy to bat on....
That's only very recently though. Shiv hasn't averaged less than 40 in a series in over three years, and he's had his fair share of difficult conditions in that time.

It doesn't feel right to take anything away from Tendulkar's performances, but i wouldn't put him ahead of Chanderpaul as the world's best. The poor series in Sri Lanka may only be a minor blot, but Shiv doesn't even have one of those.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That's only very recently though. Shiv hasn't averaged less than 40 in a series in over three years, and he's had his fair share of difficult conditions in that time.

It doesn't feel right to take anything away from Tendulkar's performances, but i wouldn't put him ahead of Chanderpaul as the world's best. The poor series in Sri Lanka may only be a minor blot, but Shiv doesn't even have one of those.
yeah.. that I accepted actually... but Sachin has been quite amazing...

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Why, Sachin, of course.

Aside from what he provides with the bat, the younger players look to him for guidance more than any other player.

If he decided to pack it in soon, thinks could get vvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrry interesting for the Indian Test cricket team and to a lesser extent the ODI team. Would other teams fancy their chances more? Maybe.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Tendulkar is in as good a batting form as ever in his career if not better.

Tendulkar wins. Glad to see every one mostly feel the same.