• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Victor Trumper - A Tribute

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Victor Trumper - A Tribute

As for WG Grace, I intend to put here excerpts from tributes paid to Trumper by those who played with and against him and/or saw him playing with their own eyes. I will also try to scan and put here the most exciting action pictures imaginable of someone who played his cricket over a century ago and yet you have to just see those strokes to realise that all the talk of how the game has changed is just poppycock as far as the basics are concerned.

But for the fact that these pictures are black and white and you automatically put a period-association with them, they would do credit to the finest stroke players we have seen in our own times and some.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Looking forward to it.

There are some great quotes from Fingleton if you can find them.
Yes there are. He starts his book Masters At Cricket with a fabulous article titled Never another LIke Victor. The same article is repeated in his book Fingleton On Cricket.

There is another full page on Trumper in the Chapter titled Style and the Man from the second part his book Cricket Crisis - the first part is devoted to the Bodyline Series.

And of course Fingleton's quality of writing is far superior to Noble's - its just that Fingleton never saw him play and all that he has written is based on what he read and the pictures he saw. But it is still an important piece of writing as are those by Cardus and others.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fingleton on Trumper

In his book, Cricket Crisis, Fingleton has a delightful chapter where he discusses the different styles of some of the great stroke players like Archie Jackson, Kippax, Macartney, Trumper and Benaud. He uses references to some famous photographs to debate how different players executed the same basic stroke (say cover drive) differently due to the style of the man. At one point he is discussing the flawless cover drive of Walter Hammond as has been etched into the minds of all cricket lovers by this photograph of Hammond driving for MCC at Sydney during an innings of 225 against NSW in November 1928 . Duckworth's position behind the stumps (low on the ground since the ball was taken on the half volley) ....

Fingleton then writes. . .
. . . not even my Headmaster friend can fault this perfect photograph of Hammond in a cover drive. This to my mind has no peer in cricket photography and ranks with the exquisite Beldam shots of Trumper in the full flight of his driving glory.

If a cricket lover never had the good fortune to see Trumper he could immediately tell by the Beldam photographs that here, indeed, was a classical artistic player. Trumper has jumped out to drive, different from the other strokes here portrayed, with the exception of Bradman's, and all batsman will agree that this is the one stroke more than others in which there must be perfect co-ordination of mind muscle and timing.

Trumper has gone some yards down to meet the ball. This itself has made perfect timing more difficult and an absolute essential but there is not the slightest suggestion of timidity with Trumper on this score. He has committed every inch of himself to the stroke, caring not a particle for the stumps and the wicket keeper behind him. His swing is at its fullest, the wrists are ****ed at the top of his back-swing; his head and shoulder are on the perfect plane of balance, his eyes looking at the ball with one full eye and half the other, so that his shoulders are side on and not full face to the ball. Note too how he has his weight at this stage of the stroke on his back leg, freeing the front leg to meet the ball.

The finish of the stroke is a dream - the perfect follow through of the bat completing the full arc of swing, the head and shoulders still on the same plane, the erect body, with the bat hitting against the stiff left leg and the weight magnificently brought forward on to the front foot, the left toe pointing to cover and not up the wicket, for this would bring his left shoulder around, throwing his swing out of its groove. The moment of impact has to be imagined but the two photographs suggest it as clear as day. The ball has been hit a bare few inches from his left toe, Trumper's body and eyes over the top of it, his wrists clenching and stiffening at the moment of impact for the first and only time in his swing - and then the left hand taking the bat through.​
Note : Fingleton is talking only of the last two pictures. I have added the first three just to complete the sequence and give a complete idea to the reader.
- continued ....​

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Fingleton on Trumper - continued

The rhapsodies of the old timers are not necessary to convince me that Trumper was the Prince of Batsmen. They may talk at length of how Trumper triumphed when his side needed him most or the wicket was at its worst, but cold figures on paper are drab things when considered in the light of immortality that these two photographs throw upon the cricket world. They speak truly as mere metallic figures fail to do, of Trumper's poetic grace and art. Such photographs should be framed and hung in every pavilion of the world for players to see and pay homage to and seek inspiration from as they take the field. A coach is incomplete without them.

..... There is, as I wrote earlier, much to be said for emulation. Kippax moulded his style on Trumper and Jackson followed Kippax. Visual recognition has been given rapid recognition, particularly in military training. . . . I have often wondered why the cricket powers that be have not collected a movie picture library of the giants of the game in actual play (not at the nets), thus preserving for all time a visual record of the individual arts that have coursed richly through this game of ours.
Jack Fingleton in "Cricket Crisis"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There aren't many proper pictures of Archie Jackson around. Here is one of him knocking without gloves or pads but its immediately clear that here is right handed Gower. The picture oozes elegance and grace.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Opposing My Hero
by Arthur Mailey

Mailey, the great Australian leg-spinner was an aspiring youngster when he got an opportunity to play Trumper in a club game. He writes a delightful account of his experience.

It is difficult to realize that a relatively minor event in one's life can still remain the most important through the years. I was chosen to play for Redfern against Paddington - and Paddington was Victor Trumper's club. This was unbelievable, fantastic. It could never happen - something was sure to go wrong. A war - an earthquake - Trumper might fall sick. A million things could crop up in the two or three days before the match.

I sat on my bed and looked at Trumper's picture still pinned on the canvas wall. It seemed to be breathing with the movement of the draught between the skirting. I glanced at his bat standing in a corner of the room, then back at the gently moving picture. I just couldn't believe that this, to me, ethereal and godlike figure could step off the wall, pick up that bat and say quietly, 'Two legs, please, umpire', in my presence.

My family, usually undemonstrative and self-possessed, found it difficult to maintain that reserve which, strange as it may seem, was characteristic of my father's Northern Irish heritage.

'H'm,' said Father, 'Playing against Trumper on Saturday. By jove, you'll cop Old Harry if you're put on to bowl at him.'

'Why should he?' protested Mother. 'You never know what you can do till you try.'

I had nothing to say. I was little concerned with what should happen to me in the match. What worried me was that something would happen to Trumper which would prevent his playing.

Although at this time I had never seen Trumper play, on occasions I trudged from Waterloo across the Sandhills to the Sydney cricket ground and waited at the gate to watch the players coming out. Once I had climbed on a tram and actually sat opposite my hero for three stops. I would have gone further but having no money I did not want to take the chance of being kicked in the pants by the conductor. Even so I had been taken half a mile out of my way.

In my wildest dreams I never thought I would ever speak to Trumper let alone play against him. I am fairly phlegmatic by nature but between the period of my selection and the match I must have behaved like a half-wit.

Right up to my first Test match I always washed and pressed my own flannels, but before this match I pressed them not once but several times. On the Saturday I was up with the sparrows and looking anxiously at the sky. It was a lovely morning but it still might rain. Come to that, lots of things could happen in ten hours - there was still a chance that Vic could be taken ill or knocked down by a tram or twist his ankle or break his arm....

My thoughts were interrupted by a vigorous thumping on the back gate. I looked out of the washhouse-bathroom- woodshed-workshop window and saw that it was the milkman who was kicking up the row.

'Hey !' he roared - 'yer didn't leave the can out. I can't wait around here all day. A man should pour it in the garbage tin - that'd make yer wake up a bit!'

On that morning I wouldn't have cared whether he poured the milk in the garbage tin or all over me. I didn't belong to this world. I was playing against the great Victor Trumper. Let the milk take care of itself. I kept looking at the clock. It might be slow - or it might have stopped! I'd better whip down to the Zetland Hotel and check up. Anyhow, I mightn't bowl at Trumper after all. He might get out before I come on. Or I mightn't get a bowl at all- after all, I can't put myself on. Wonder what Trumper's doing this very minute ... bet he's not ironing his flannels. Sends them to the laundry, I suppose. He's probably got two sets of flannels, anyway. Perhaps he's at breakfast, perhaps he's eating bacon and eggs. Wonder if he knows I'm playing against him? Don't suppose he's ever heard of me. Wouldn't worry him anyhow, I shouldn't think. Gosh, what a long morning! Think I'll dig the garden. No, I won't - I want to keep fresh. Think I'll lie down for a bit . . . better not, I might fall off to sleep and be late.

The morning did not pass in this way. Time just stopped. I couldn't bring myself to doing anything in particular and yet I couldn't settle to the thought of not doing anything. I was bowling to Trumper and I was not bowling to Trumper. I was I early and I was late. In fact, I think I was slightly out of my mind.

I didn't get to the ground so very early after all, mainly because it would have been impossible for me to wait around so near the scene of Trumper's appearance - and yet for it to - rain or news to come that something had prevented Vic from playing.

'Is he here?' I asked Harry Goddard, our captain, the moment I did arrive at the ground.

'Is who here?' he countered.

My answer was probably a scornful and disgusted look. I remember that it occurred to me to say, 'Julius Caesar, of course' but that I stopped myself being cheeky because this was one occasion when I couldn't afford to be.

Paddington won the toss and took first knock.

When Trumper walked out to bat, Harry Goddard said to me: 'I'd better keep you away from Vic. If he starts on you he'll probably knock you out of grade cricket.'

I was inclined to agree with him yet at the same time I didn't fear punishment from the master batsman. All I wanted to do was just to bowl at him. I suppose in their time other ambitious youngsters have wanted to play on the same stage with Henry Irving, or sing with Caruso or Melba, to fight with Napoleon or sail the seas with Columbus. It wasn't conquest I desired. I simply wanted to meet my hero on common ground.

Vic, beautifully clad in creamy, loose-fitting but well- tailored flannels, left the pavilion with his bat tucked under his left arm and in the act of donning his gloves. Although slightly pigeon-toed in the left foot he had a springy athletic walk and a tendency to shrug his shoulders every few minutes, a habit I understand he developed through trying to loosen his shirt off his shoulders when it became soaked with sweat during his innings.

Arriving at the wicket, he bent his bat handle almost to a right angle, walked up the pitch, prodded about six yards of it, returned to the batting crease and asked the umpire for 'two legs', took a guick glance in the direction of fine leg, shrugged his shoulders again and took up his stance. I was called to bowl sooner than I had expected. I suspect now that Harry Goddard changed his mind and decided to put me out of my misery early in the piece.

Did I ever bowl that first ball? I don't remember. My head was in a whirl, I really think I fainted and the secret of the mythical first ball has been kept over all these years to save me embarrassment. If the ball was sent down it must have been hit for six, or at least four, because I was awakened from my trance by the thunderous booming Yabba who roared: 'O for a strong arm and walking stick!'

I do remember the next ball. It was, I imagined, a perfect leg-break. When it left my hand it was singing sweetly like a humming top. The trajectory couldn't have been more graceful if designed by a professor of ballistics. The tremendous leg-spin caused the ball to swing and curve from the off and move in line with the middle and leg stump. Had I bowled this particular ball at any other batsman I would have turned my back early in its flight and listened for the death rattle. However, consistent with my idolization of the champion, I watched his every movment.

He stood poised like a panther ready to spring. Down came his left foot to within a foot of the ball. The bat, swung from well over his shoulders, met the ball just as it fizzed off the pitch, and the next sound I heard was a rapping on the offside fence.

It was the most beautiful shot I have ever seen. The immortal Yabba made some attempt to say something but his voice faded away to the soft gurgle one hears at the end of a kookaburra's song. The only person on the ground who didn't watch the course of the ball was Victor Trumper. The moment he played it he turned his back, smacked down a few tufts of grass and prodded his way back to the batting crease. He knew where the ball was going.

What were my reactions?

Well, I never expected that ball or any other ball I could produce to get Trumper's wicket. But that being the best ball a bowler of my type could spin into being, I thought that at least Vic might have been forced to play a defensive shot, particularly as I was almost a stranger too and it might have been to his advantage to use discretion rather than valour.

After I had bowled one or two other reasonably good balls without success I found fresh hope in the thought that Trumper had found Bosanquet, creator of the 'wrong 'un' or 'bosie' (which I think a better name), rather puzzling. This left me with one shot in my locker, but if I didn't use it quickly I would be taken out of the firing line. I decided, therefore, to try this most undisciplined and cantankerous creation of the great B.J. Bosanquet - not, as many may think, as a compliment to the inventor but as the gallant farewell, so to speak, of a warrior who refused to surrender until all his ammunition was spent.

Again fortune was on my side in that I bowled the ball I had often dreamed of bowling. As with the leg-break, it had sufficient spin to curve in the air and break considerably after making contact with the pitch. If anything it might have had a little more top-spin, which would cause it to drop rather suddenly. The sensitivity of a spinning ball against a breeze is governed by the amount of spin imparted, and if a ball bowled at a certain pace drops on a certain spot, one bowled with identical pace but with more top-spin should drop eighteen inches or two feet shorter.

For this reason I thought the difference in the trajectory and ultimate landing of the ball might provide a measure of uncertainty in Trumper's mind. Whilst the ball was in flight this reasoning appeared to be vindicated by Trumper's initial movement. As at the beginning of my over he sprang in to attack but did not realize that the ball, being an off-break, was floating away from him and dropping a little quicker. Instead of his left foot being close to the ball it was a foot out of line.

In a split second Vic grasped this and tried to make up the deficiency with a wider swing of the bat. It was then I could see a passage-way to the stumps with our 'keeper, Con Hayes, ready to claim his victim. Vic's bat came through like a flash but the ball passed between his bat and legs, missed the leg stump by a fraction, and the bails were whipped off with the great batsman at least two yards out of his ground.

Vic had made no attempt to scramble back. He knew the ball had beaten him and was prepared to pay the penalty, and although he had little chance of regaining his crease on this occasion I think he would have acted similarly if his back foot had been only an inch from safety. As he walked past me he smiled, patted the back of his bat and said, 'It was too good for me.'

There was no triumph in me as I watched the receding figure. I felt like a boy who had killed a dove.
Source : 10 for 66 and All That by AA Mailey​

bagapath

International Captain
looking at those trumper pictures (I have seen the most famous one of those, the jump, many times before - the others for the first time here) I can imagine the sound of leather hitting the ball and racing through the cover region barely inches from the turf towards the boundary with the fielders not moving an inch before the ball hits the boundary in seconds since it made contact with his bat. absolutely panther like elegance and power!

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Opposing My Hero
by Arthur Mailey

Mailey, the great Australian leg-spinner was an aspiring youngster when he got an opportunity to play Trumper in a club game. He writes a delightful account of his experience.

It is difficult to realize that a relatively minor event in one's life can still remain the most important through the years. I was chosen to play for Redfern against Paddington - and Paddington was Victor Trumper's club. This was unbelievable, fantastic. It could never happen - something was sure to go wrong. A war - an earthquake - Trumper might fall sick. A million things could crop up in the two or three days before the match.

I sat on my bed and looked at Trumper's picture still pinned on the canvas wall. It seemed to be breathing with the movement of the draught between the skirting. I glanced at his bat standing in a corner of the room, then back at the gently moving picture. I just couldn't believe that this, to me, ethereal and godlike figure could step off the wall, pick up that bat and say quietly, 'Two legs, please, umpire', in my presence.

My family, usually undemonstrative and self-possessed, found it difficult to maintain that reserve which, strange as it may seem, was characteristic of my father's Northern Irish heritage.

'H'm,' said Father, 'Playing against Trumper on Saturday. By jove, you'll cop Old Harry if you're put on to bowl at him.'

'Why should he?' protested Mother. 'You never know what you can do till you try.'

I had nothing to say. I was little concerned with what should happen to me in the match. What worried me was that something would happen to Trumper which would prevent his playing.

Although at this time I had never seen Trumper play, on occasions I trudged from Waterloo across the Sandhills to the Sydney cricket ground and waited at the gate to watch the players coming out. Once I had climbed on a tram and actually sat opposite my hero for three stops. I would have gone further but having no money I did not want to take the chance of being kicked in the pants by the conductor. Even so I had been taken half a mile out of my way.

In my wildest dreams I never thought I would ever speak to Trumper let alone play against him. I am fairly phlegmatic by nature but between the period of my selection and the match I must have behaved like a half-wit.

Right up to my first Test match I always washed and pressed my own flannels, but before this match I pressed them not once but several times. On the Saturday I was up with the sparrows and looking anxiously at the sky. It was a lovely morning but it still might rain. Come to that, lots of things could happen in ten hours - there was still a chance that Vic could be taken ill or knocked down by a tram or twist his ankle or break his arm....

My thoughts were interrupted by a vigorous thumping on the back gate. I looked out of the washhouse-bathroom- woodshed-workshop window and saw that it was the milkman who was kicking up the row.

'Hey !' he roared - 'yer didn't leave the can out. I can't wait around here all day. A man should pour it in the garbage tin - that'd make yer wake up a bit!'

On that morning I wouldn't have cared whether he poured the milk in the garbage tin or all over me. I didn't belong to this world. I was playing against the great Victor Trumper. Let the milk take care of itself. I kept looking at the clock. It might be slow - or it might have stopped! I'd better whip down to the Zetland Hotel and check up. Anyhow, I mightn't bowl at Trumper after all. He might get out before I come on. Or I mightn't get a bowl at all- after all, I can't put myself on. Wonder what Trumper's doing this very minute ... bet he's not ironing his flannels. Sends them to the laundry, I suppose. He's probably got two sets of flannels, anyway. Perhaps he's at breakfast, perhaps he's eating bacon and eggs. Wonder if he knows I'm playing against him? Don't suppose he's ever heard of me. Wouldn't worry him anyhow, I shouldn't think. Gosh, what a long morning! Think I'll dig the garden. No, I won't - I want to keep fresh. Think I'll lie down for a bit . . . better not, I might fall off to sleep and be late.

The morning did not pass in this way. Time just stopped. I couldn't bring myself to doing anything in particular and yet I couldn't settle to the thought of not doing anything. I was bowling to Trumper and I was not bowling to Trumper. I was I early and I was late. In fact, I think I was slightly out of my mind.

I didn't get to the ground so very early after all, mainly because it would have been impossible for me to wait around so near the scene of Trumper's appearance - and yet for it to - rain or news to come that something had prevented Vic from playing.

'Is he here?' I asked Harry Goddard, our captain, the moment I did arrive at the ground.

'Is who here?' he countered.

My answer was probably a scornful and disgusted look. I remember that it occurred to me to say, 'Julius Caesar, of course' but that I stopped myself being cheeky because this was one occasion when I couldn't afford to be.

Paddington won the toss and took first knock.

When Trumper walked out to bat, Harry Goddard said to me: 'I'd better keep you away from Vic. If he starts on you he'll probably knock you out of grade cricket.'

I was inclined to agree with him yet at the same time I didn't fear punishment from the master batsman. All I wanted to do was just to bowl at him. I suppose in their time other ambitious youngsters have wanted to play on the same stage with Henry Irving, or sing with Caruso or Melba, to fight with Napoleon or sail the seas with Columbus. It wasn't conquest I desired. I simply wanted to meet my hero on common ground.

Vic, beautifully clad in creamy, loose-fitting but well- tailored flannels, left the pavilion with his bat tucked under his left arm and in the act of donning his gloves. Although slightly pigeon-toed in the left foot he had a springy athletic walk and a tendency to shrug his shoulders every few minutes, a habit I understand he developed through trying to loosen his shirt off his shoulders when it became soaked with sweat during his innings.

Arriving at the wicket, he bent his bat handle almost to a right angle, walked up the pitch, prodded about six yards of it, returned to the batting crease and asked the umpire for 'two legs', took a guick glance in the direction of fine leg, shrugged his shoulders again and took up his stance. I was called to bowl sooner than I had expected. I suspect now that Harry Goddard changed his mind and decided to put me out of my misery early in the piece.

Did I ever bowl that first ball? I don't remember. My head was in a whirl, I really think I fainted and the secret of the mythical first ball has been kept over all these years to save me embarrassment. If the ball was sent down it must have been hit for six, or at least four, because I was awakened from my trance by the thunderous booming Yabba who roared: 'O for a strong arm and walking stick!'

I do remember the next ball. It was, I imagined, a perfect leg-break. When it left my hand it was singing sweetly like a humming top. The trajectory couldn't have been more graceful if designed by a professor of ballistics. The tremendous leg-spin caused the ball to swing and curve from the off and move in line with the middle and leg stump. Had I bowled this particular ball at any other batsman I would have turned my back early in its flight and listened for the death rattle. However, consistent with my idolization of the champion, I watched his every movment.

He stood poised like a panther ready to spring. Down came his left foot to within a foot of the ball. The bat, swung from well over his shoulders, met the ball just as it fizzed off the pitch, and the next sound I heard was a rapping on the offside fence.

It was the most beautiful shot I have ever seen. The immortal Yabba made some attempt to say something but his voice faded away to the soft gurgle one hears at the end of a kookaburra's song. The only person on the ground who didn't watch the course of the ball was Victor Trumper. The moment he played it he turned his back, smacked down a few tufts of grass and prodded his way back to the batting crease. He knew where the ball was going.

What were my reactions?

Well, I never expected that ball or any other ball I could produce to get Trumper's wicket. But that being the best ball a bowler of my type could spin into being, I thought that at least Vic might have been forced to play a defensive shot, particularly as I was almost a stranger too and it might have been to his advantage to use discretion rather than valour.

After I had bowled one or two other reasonably good balls without success I found fresh hope in the thought that Trumper had found Bosanquet, creator of the 'wrong 'un' or 'bosie' (which I think a better name), rather puzzling. This left me with one shot in my locker, but if I didn't use it quickly I would be taken out of the firing line. I decided, therefore, to try this most undisciplined and cantankerous creation of the great B.J. Bosanquet - not, as many may think, as a compliment to the inventor but as the gallant farewell, so to speak, of a warrior who refused to surrender until all his ammunition was spent.

Again fortune was on my side in that I bowled the ball I had often dreamed of bowling. As with the leg-break, it had sufficient spin to curve in the air and break considerably after making contact with the pitch. If anything it might have had a little more top-spin, which would cause it to drop rather suddenly. The sensitivity of a spinning ball against a breeze is governed by the amount of spin imparted, and if a ball bowled at a certain pace drops on a certain spot, one bowled with identical pace but with more top-spin should drop eighteen inches or two feet shorter.

For this reason I thought the difference in the trajectory and ultimate landing of the ball might provide a measure of uncertainty in Trumper's mind. Whilst the ball was in flight this reasoning appeared to be vindicated by Trumper's initial movement. As at the beginning of my over he sprang in to attack but did not realize that the ball, being an off-break, was floating away from him and dropping a little quicker. Instead of his left foot being close to the ball it was a foot out of line.

In a split second Vic grasped this and tried to make up the deficiency with a wider swing of the bat. It was then I could see a passage-way to the stumps with our 'keeper, Con Hayes, ready to claim his victim. Vic's bat came through like a flash but the ball passed between his bat and legs, missed the leg stump by a fraction, and the bails were whipped off with the great batsman at least two yards out of his ground.

Vic had made no attempt to scramble back. He knew the ball had beaten him and was prepared to pay the penalty, and although he had little chance of regaining his crease on this occasion I think he would have acted similarly if his back foot had been only an inch from safety. As he walked past me he smiled, patted the back of his bat and said, 'It was too good for me.'

There was no triumph in me as I watched the receding figure. I felt like a boy who had killed a dove.
Source : 10 for 66 and All That by AA Mailey​
Still the best example of cricket writing, after 50 years:)

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
My tribute is attached to every post I make. :)

Also the picture below is actually the same as my avatar (don't tell the copyright police)
:cool:
cheers

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
wish i could find the article i had read somewhere about trumper being approached by a local merchant to display his logo on victor's bat. trumper did it for free to help the old chap improve his business.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
wish i could find the article i had read somewhere about trumper being approached by a local merchant to display his logo on victor's bat. trumper did it for free to help the old chap improve his business.
That was typical of the man - and the reason he was never a success in business, he was simply too generous!

There's also a wonderful story of the boy who came into his shop with his parents who were buying him a bat. The boy found the one he liked and Victor said he wanted to keep it over the weekend to "knock it in for him" - Vic then used the bat in a Shield match and made 50-odd with it, then gave it to the boy the following week saying that it should be good to use now. When he found out what Trumper had done, the boy was the proudest lad in Australia.

bagapath

International Captain
Still the best example of cricket writing, after 50 years:)
and the incident must have taken place close to 100 years ago, considering trumper died in 1915 (?) and mailey was a test player soon after the big war. oh, I love that bit about the tram ride and the morning of the game when time stood still for mailey. this is awesome writing. wish i could convert this story into a short docu. will cost about 300K USD to make it into a 30 min film but it should be good.

archie mac

International Coach
and the incident must have taken place close to 100 years ago, considering trumper died in 1915 (?) and mailey was a test player soon after the big war. oh, I love that bit about the tram ride and the morning of the game when time stood still for mailey. this is awesome writing. wish i could convert this story into a short docu. will cost about 300K USD to make it into a 30 min film but it should be good.
Jack Pollard went back through all the score cards and came to the conclusion that the match never happened (or not the way AM stated it)

I remember when I read that by Pollard; thinking I would rather not have known:dry:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Let's not forget that the most famous photo of Trumper stepping out to drive was most likely staged. Did he really drive the ball like that in a match situation?

Mailey's chapter was a great read, but it was hero-worshipping writing on his part. I wouldn't mind reading an objective, non-nostalgic, contemporary account of Trumper's batting.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Let's not forget that the most famous photo of Trumper stepping out to drive was most likely staged. Did he really drive the ball like that in a match situation?

Mailey's chapter was a great read, but it was hero-worshipping writing on his part. I wouldn't mind reading an objective, non-nostalgic, contemporary account of Trumper's batting.
I remebered someone (it may have been you) once writing here saying exactly the same thing although I think at that time the word used was "posed". The same was written when I posted the famous picture of Pataudi Senior jumping out to drive. Its amazing how we just wont believe what we dont want to.

I put both the pictures (4th and the 5th) mainly to show the poster (whoever it was) that these were actual action photographs and not posed. Thats so easy to tell from the background. Clearly I was mistaken in not realising that cynicism is mostly unshakeable.

Yes the picture is not taken in a match. But it is an actual photograph/s of Trumper batting to proper bowling. The fact that it is not taken in a match does not take away from the beauty of the stroke nor does it tell us that he couldn't play this shot in match play.