• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

MS Dhoni vs KP (Pietersen) - ODIs

Who's better in ODIs?

• Total voters
Dhoni or KP you would prefer for the ODIs?

Personally for all my love for KP, I'd go for Dhoni in this one.

KP

Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
Career 2004-2009 90 81 15 3079 116 46.65 3529 87.24 7 20 4 286 57
Vs Test quality 2005-2009 78 73 12 2833 116 46.44 3231 87.68 7 18 3 268 52

Dhoni

Span Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SR 100 50 0 4s 6s
Overall 2004-2009 135 121 32 4385 183* 49.26 4815 91.06 4 30 5 336 98
Test quality 2005-2009 119 108 27 3804 183* 46.96 4269 89.10 2 27 3 295 76

Averages are way close when test quality teams are only taken for consideration. But Dhoni holds slight advantage I think.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If nothing else, he's certainly injected a dose of paranoia into quite a few members :laugh: People are going to keep looking out for Precambrian in all the new members.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They're about even with regards to ODI batting, but only one of them keeps wicket and captains his side brilliantly.

King Pietersen

International Captain
The only way you can fairly compare is to compare their batting, it's pointless bringing captaincy and keeping into the argument, as I proved on Planetcricket, by making a thread Dhoni vs Bradman. Bradman may be a decent batsman and better than Dhoni, but Dhoni offers keeping, so offers more to the team. It's a pretty extreme way of showing my point, but it does show how pointless a comparison between a keeper batsman and a batsman is.

Batting's the only thing they both share and have both had a fair stab at, but I'd even go for Dhoni ahead of KP in terms of batting at the minute. KP could be the greatest ODi batsman of all-time if he could find consistency, but he only makes 1 score of note every series, which isn't good enough. He's in poor ODi form by his standards, and currently Dhoni's scoring more runs at a higher average. So Dhoni's better.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dhoni scores his runs at 4,5 or 6 most of the time. KP scores(lesser) at 3 or 4 most of the time. Dhoni wins imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
KP scores his runs at 3. In the England one-day side, you bat at 3 and you generally face before batsman 2, so you might as well be an opener. You're also often the last proper batsman. It's not easy being at 3 in the England side, believe me ;)

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dhoni wins ODI's regularly for India with the bat, Pietersen does not for England.

Dhoni has proved his immense flexibility in terms of situation and where he bats in the order, Pietersen is almost the complete opposite. When he wants to (though less frequently than before) Dhoni is capable of targetting an over and taking 20 runs from it to change a game, in particular a run chase. I have never seen Pietersen do this (and I've seen his entire international career bar those first 3 ODI's in SA), more often than not he tries one shot too many of the front foot and get's out at a crucial juncture, that said the amount England rely on him and the resulting pressure is ridiculous. Conversely Dhoni is the captain of India and has 1 billion people breathing down his neck, not to mention the dreaded Indian media (surely the biggest parasite in human history?).