• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is SEHWAG captaincy material ?

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Much as I like the audacity and at times unpredictability of Sehwag's batting - must admit am at a total loss on why India has again considered him as vice-captain and hence Captain in an emergency situation - when Dhoni's weekend antics in Auckland ruled him out at the nth hour.

Sehwag's cavalier attitude as captain was badly exposed in the first two days at Napier - when he hardly showed any urgency on the field to motivate team or berate the shirkers and in a supreme moment of utter disdain and foolhardiness his shot selection which would have done Shahid Afridi proud .

The last time he was made captain against Sri Lanka in 2006 - his attutude put him out of the side for a good part of the year subsequently .

IMHO Indian cricket will be better served by having Sehwag purely as a batsman in the side .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He is actually highly rated in the domestic game. I was not impressed though, for the last two days - but it's unfair to judge anything based on just that though.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I've often thought of Zaheer Khan as a choice of captain. The bowlers have never had it too easy, and a bowling captain will have a better idea of what to do. I've seen several field placings and bowling changes that do the bowlers do no good. A bowler, when captain, may change a lot of that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Given that the other option is Yuvraj, I would rather have Sehwag.

Unless they are prepared to give it to Laxman in tests and maybe someone else in ODIs...

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
I've often thought of Zaheer Khan as a choice of captain. The bowlers have never had it too easy, and a bowling captain will have a better idea of what to do. I've seen several field placings and bowling changes that do the bowlers do no good. A bowler, when captain, may change a lot of that.
Interesting thought though not sure what captaincy experience he has :unsure:

Anyone but Sehwag - if laws permitted a non-playing captain would also suffice

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If Sehwag isn't the stand in captain, he isn't the vice captain either. He mentioned in an interview that when he was offered the vice captaincy, he accepted it on the one condition that that would mean he was next in line for the captaincy if and when it was up for grabs. So if Sachin or Rahul are to perform the stand in captaincy duties, they'll have to accept the vice captaincy under Dhoni too because Sehwag isn't going to accept a position without prospects.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting thought though not sure what captaincy experience he has :unsure:

Anyone but Sehwag - if laws permitted a non-playing captain would also suffice
He's had some experience as captain, but at first-class level. However, he is one of the more experienced players around for India, and is surely good enough to be considered for captaincy. Zaheer, being a strike bowler, will add a fresh perspective that we don't see in the typical Indian batting captain.

It's common throughout the Indian cricket establishment- we don't see bowlers or all-rounders in top positions, only batsmen.

kingkallis

International Coach
He's had some experience as captain, but at first-class level. However, he is one of the more experienced players around for India, and is surely good enough to be considered for captaincy. Zaheer, being a strike bowler, will add a fresh perspective that we don't see in the typical Indian batting captain.

It's common throughout the Indian cricket establishment- we don't see bowlers or all-rounders in top positions, only batsmen.
In that case, SRT or RD should be given captaincy...afterall its just for 1-2 games!

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
First innings in the current test from Sehwag was an aberration

Second was priceless- courtesy Crickinfo :

Patel to Sehwag, OUT, Jeetan Patel takes out Sehwag. You can also say Sehwag has taken out himself. It was floated on the off stump line, Sehwag went for the big swing over midwicket, on a bent knee and missed. The ball wobbled on to hit the back leg around the line of off stump. Critics will go after him for his shot selection, his supporters will say that's how he plays ........even if he is captain and the team has followed on 300 runs behind . :@

OnDrive

Cricket Spectator
Prior to this game, I really thought Sehwag would make for a wily Sollozzo-esque captain, who would come up with street smart tactics. Must say I have been incredibly disappointed. Pathetic approach to the game, and about as threatening and menacing as a group of 90 year old pensioners.