• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketing Clichés

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Let's hear your most hated cricketing clichés.

A couple to get us started:

1. No commentator, ever, seems able to refer to Dwayne Bravo without referring to him as an outstanding "cricketer", regardless of whether he's batting or bowling or fielding. (I think this may be because he's not quite a batsman and not quite a bowler, but everyone likes the cut of his jib.)

2. "Well that one swung - off the bat all the way to the boundary!!"

Athlai

Not Terrible
1. "Daniel Vettori has won the toss."

2. "New Zealand are all out and -insert country here- win with a day to spare in this Test match."

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Quick bowlers who can move the ball miles are automatically more skillful bowlers than guys who hit the corridor but only move the ball just enough - even if the latter takes twice as many wickets as the former.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"Oh, it's out of the here. It's out of the ground; no he's caught it" - Bill Lawry

"That's it. Start the engines" - Bumble after the winning runs/wicket of every bleedin' game

Uppercut

"It's good to see him take the game to the opposition."

then, when the next shot goes wrong

"What a stupid shot! He's given it away!"

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He's hit the previous delivery for four, and now he's taken the single. Thats good intelligent cricket.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
How every semi-tall pace bowler who can hit the same spot on the pitch greater than once an over is "Glenn McGrath like".

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Yet another capitulation of Englandesque proportions began with the dismissal of...."

or

"Wayward Harmison...."

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That was sharp at 140 k's (repeat after every delivery) - William Lawry

He's hitting them well in the nets - Peter Moores and Michael Vaughan

Last edited:

Burgey

Batsman comes down the pitch and bludgeons spinner straight over his head 20 rows back for six:

"He won't be disappointed to see him doing that".

Really? Because I'd be pretty ****ing shattered if I tossed up a reasonable offering and someone had to fetch the ball using a taxi.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
"And Pointing told him (Symonds) to be there at the end...and he was."
Haha.

"That one had hit me written all over it."

I don't think you hear this one by commentators all that much, but surely everone who has played semi-serious cricket has heard from a coach or an old-timer - "cricket is a funny game."