• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate Cronje's captaincy

Rate Cronje's captaincy out of 5 stars

• Total voters

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Keeping aside his match fixing for a moment, he was a damn good captain. I rate him higher than Taylor but he was easily one of the best even if you don't think that he was better than Taylor. Rate his captaincy out of 5 stars.

Keeping aside his role in matchfixing would be akin to judging Bradman keeping aside his centuries. No option for 0 stars, so went for 1 star.

May God forgive his soul.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Who really knows how many games he affected or tried to affect? The ones that have been exposed could only be half, or it could be them all. In that, you can't really rate his captaincy stint. What we do know is AT THE TIME of his captaincy reign, he was rated highly by many.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
He was held in really high esteem in the prelapsarian days, in fact I remember the SA board being almost contemptuous of the very idea the saintly Hansie would be involved in match-fixing until it transpired a tape recording of the grubby dealings existed.

So complete was his disgrace tho it is quite hard to assess his captaincy. What I will say is he actually had a very, very good team at his disposal and he could never overcome the Aussies with it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, if you were an international team, and you had to rank everyone in order in terms of captaincy material, where would you put a guy who purposefully lost games for you? Dead last.

That's who he is, and it's his legacy as far as I'm concerned. Whether he fixed one innings or every match is just haggling.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I voted one star because there wasn't a no star option.

It is impossible to dissociate his captaincy from deliberately losing games.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Keeping aside his match fixing for a moment, he was a damn good captain. I rate him higher than Taylor but he was easily one of the best even if you don't think that he was better than Taylor. Rate his captaincy out of 5 stars.

Alan Partridge said:
"...something about the Titanic that people forget...there were over 1000 miles of uneventful, very pleasurable cruising before it hit the iceberg"
Hansie Cronje: nil stars
RMS Titanic: nil stars
Alan Gordon Partridge: 6 stars

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What BoyBrumby said. Aside from the match-fixing, reckon he was over-rated as a captain. Distinctly remember many times during series' against Australia at home and away the defensive field-settings/mindset, directly impacted upon by the captain. Not as negative as Shaun Pollock but still, not exactly a risk-taker or innovator as captain. Solid 3, for me.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
for me, he was a very good leader who could have become one of the great captains ever but then he was also a greedy, unscrupulous arsehole so we'll never know for sure...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, we dislike someone who wanted to destroyed the very fabric of the game we love, and one which gave him everything.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, you don't have to think it. I just don't think he deserves any sympathy. You can give him that if you want.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There is nothing worse you can do as a player to ruin the game of cricket. Not a thing. No point in playing if you can't trust in the outcome. The reason us foreigners get into a flap is that it wasn't domestic matches he fixed.