• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Atul Sharma

Whats going on?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
The guy who is hyped as being consistently over 100mph is set to hit the IPL. Does anyone actually know ANYTHING about this guy?

Flem274*

123/5
I'm skeptical. If he's 100mph he would have obliterated domestic Indian (is he Indian, name sounds it?) already. I think his last name may have hyped him a bit.

He's probably still quite quick, but 100mph? I'm skeptical, but we'll wait and see. 100mph would make him quicker than Akthar and Tait wouldn't it?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Apparently he's been under training for the last 3 years or so away from the prying eyes of Indian domestic coaches that would 'ruin' him. Guys meant to be extreme, talk of him bowling 90mph off a six pace run up.

Yes 100mph would make him probably the fastest bowler in history and well over any of the contemporary quicks.

Flem274*

123/5
The coach seems to be pretty level headed, which is good, not hyping him up as "da gr8st thIng eva". Would he like to come coach our bowlers? :p

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

I have no opinion either way on this. Ill wait before believing it though. Only the gullible would take someones word on this.

Strange work by Pont though hyping this up. Let the boy bowl. If he is quick we will see it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

I have no opinion either way on this. Ill wait and see it before believing it though.

Strange work by Pont though hyping this up. Let the boy bowl. If he is quick we will see it.
Agreed but if nothing else, the hype secured him an IPL contract

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know. Up to 105mph? No way, I think. As I said in the other thread, that's faster than the fastest baseball ever thrown. It certainly seems shady that no one except his coach has seen him. What kind of training doesn't involve actual practice matches? He's just been bowling in the nets for three years?

We'll see though. If he consistently bowls around 90mph with accuracy, I'll be a very happy man.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I don't know. Up to 105mph? No way, I think. As I said in the other thread, that's faster than the fastest baseball ever thrown. It certainly seems shady that no one except his coach has seen him. What kind of training doesn't involve actual practice matches? He's just been bowling in the nets for three years?

We'll see though. If he consistently bowls around 90mph with accuracy, I'll be a very happy man.
Yeah and Pont has said he is straight but everything is a low full toss/ yorker or half volley. He cant control the length and it is always pitched up.

A cant believe Im writing about this hype. :@

Lets all (myself included) forget about this guy and wait until he hits the scene. If he is fast then he will capture our attention without all these cheap publicity tricks.

adharcric

International Coach
Yeah, sounds quite shady but Pont's putting his credibility on the line and he's a relatively well-known coach so there may be something in it. As SS said, I'll be pleased with 90 mph as long as he isn't all over the place.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Seems a bit weird to train to be a cricketer without playing cricket. Will be interesting to see what happens. He could have some success, especially straight away if batsmen are caught out by him being very unorthodox.

inbox24

International Debutant
Doesn't look that big. The way Pont's hyping him up, sounds like the next Ronnie Coleman.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, sounds quite shady but Pont's putting his credibility on the line and he's a relatively well-known coach so there may be something in it. As SS said, I'll be pleased with 90 mph as long as he isn't all over the place.
90 mph without movement ,is as worse than 85 mile with movement.If he bowls low
fulltosses and yorkers he should play baseball.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
More chance that he could another hyped up Munaf or VRV Singh but would not mind it if his actually 100+. Shoaib and Lee are almost done while Tait is unreliable so it would be good if cricket gets another speed king.

Evermind

International Debutant
I don't know. Up to 105mph? No way, I think. As I said in the other thread, that's faster than the fastest baseball ever thrown.
Of course, baseball pitching doesn't involve run-ups. The gain in momentum from that might push him over the 100mph range. Then again baseball essentially involves chucking, so I don't know how the run-up would compensate for the elbow power. I think it's hard to compare when you get at that sort of minute percentage differential.