• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson

Howsie

International Captain
So I'm guessing most New Zealand fans know about this kid and how much talent he has, and I see he just scored his first hundred for ND and today also made 95. How long before he play's for NZ, or how long do you want him to wait. I'm thinking by this time next year he would of already played for his country.

Thoughts?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hope not. Two good scores on a flat pitch against one of the better domestic attacks for a youngster is great but lets give him a few more years.

Our middle order is close to being full anyway:

ODI:
Taylor,Elliott,Oram,Styris,Broom,Guptill

Test:
Flynn,Taylor,Ryder,Oram

Sure he could probably take that number 6 position, but for a few years yet I'd prefer a more experienced bloke. Broom hitting form would be great.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd like to see Williamson have a crack in the ODI team in a year or so, but I hope his Test debut is a bit further away than that.

kingdamo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Keep him in the domestic scene for another season before bringing him up, he will be an awesome player for us in the future. We seem to be getting a lot of batting talent coming through these days, where are all the bowlers?

Nutter

U19 Debutant
We seem to be getting a lot of batting talent coming through these days, where are all the bowlers?
Well hopefully Southee, Boult, McClenaghan and Wagner will come through. I'm more worried about lack of quality spinners after Dan though.

kingdamo

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well hopefully Southee, Boult, McClenaghan and Wagner will come through. I'm more worried about lack of quality spinners after Dan though.
All medium-fast bowlers right? Apart from McClenaghan if I recall correctly. Gee we are missing a genuinely quick bowler in the Black Caps right now, a strike bowler. We always seem to have one coming up the ranks who then gets injured and loses a lot of their pace.

I hope we don't have to wait until Shane Bond has a son in a few decades for another genuine pace bowler to come through and dominate :wacko:.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
I think that Nethula could come into the frame at some point. He's a wrist spinner which will help his cause and although his record isn't too flash at this stage, he's a better bet than anyone else coming through.

kingdamo

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think that Nethula could come into the frame at some point. He's a wrist spinner which will help his cause and although his record isn't too flash at this stage, he's a better bet than anyone else coming through.
Is he the leg spinner that went to the U'19 World Cup?

Flem274*

123/5
He's good yea, but he's young so its a risk and who would he replace?......

On the bowlers: Yeah they're all fast medium but so what? Whilst one good quickie would be handy its not as though everyone else is stacked with them. SA have Steyn, Aus have Johnson, India have a decent (at this stage) one in Ishant, Pakistan don't because they're always either injured on on drugs. England don't, Bangladesh don't, SL have a liability in Fernando, WI have two variables in Edwards and Taylor.

What has let us down at test level time and time again is our batting.

Anyway, I have high hopes for Wagner, Davidson, Boult, Southee, O'Brien, Franklin. All bar Davidson will be in the minds of selectors right now (Davidson hasn't played enough yet, really like him, commentators liken him to Jimmy and his spell of 4/1 in last years final was fantastic)

Of course McClennaghan has bowled more accurately than ever, which shows he's learning. Still not convinced he won't end up an Amjad Khan (Englands new piechucker) though. The other quicks can't stay on the park long enough.

EDIT: If Butler was used right (short sharp spells) then I think he could make a good test bowler yet. Hasn't lost much pace at all.

Howsie

International Captain
So Williamson scored another 100 today, did anyone read the cricinfo story about him. Grant Bradburn thinks he will be NZ's Michael Clarke, and Matt Horne doesn't want him to play for NZ for atleast 2 years.

S.P. Fleming

U19 Cricketer
yea saw that story, seems really promising stuff. I havent had the luxury of seeing him actually bat. How is he technically? Is he a technique relies batsmen or just one with an awesome eye.

Howsie

International Captain
yea saw that story, seems really promising stuff. I havent had the luxury of seeing him actually bat. How is he technically? Is he a technique relies batsmen or just one with an awesome eye.
I haven't seen alot of him, I've played a couple of games against him and seen a few of his ND games but he is going to be a very complete batsmen. He is very technically sound, plays all the shots, and he has a wonderful eye.

Flem274*

123/5
Can he open and replace McIntosh?
God no.

Williamson is slightly unorthodox iirc, but very technically sound. I also agree with Matt Horne.

What would be great is for him to bat on some greentops and score big, because batting in unfriendly conditions with the batting order collapsing around you will give him a good simulation of NZ at test level.:ph34r:

OK I'm harsh, but point stands, 100s on greentops would be awesome.