• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan vs MacGill

Who was the better spinner?

• Total voters

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who was the better bowler?

Harbhajan or MacGill.

Harbhajan has the advantage of playing on turning tracks in India, but was really the second picked spinner for most of his career so far. MacGill played most of his cricket in Australia and also was the second picked spinner for most of his career (though for balance reasons he was not picked as often as Harbhajan has been).

Here are career stats:

Code:
 		Mat  	Inns  	Balls  	Runs  	Wkts  	BBI  	BBM  	Ave  	Econ  	SR  	4w  	5w  	10
Harbhajan 	75 	139 	20885 	9818 	321 	8/84 	15/217 	30.58 	2.82 	65.0 	10 	23 	5
MacGill  	44  	85  	11237  	6038  	208  	8/108  	12/107  29.02  	3.22  	54.0  	9  	12  	2
Obviously Harbhajan has played a lot more than Macgill and still has much of his career to come, but MacGill played on far worse tracks and was only not picked because Australia did not need a second spinner most of the time.

So who was better?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
At his best, MacGill was the better bowler.

However at his worst, MacGill was the worse bowler.

Its an interesting one. Despite being one of the biggest dicks in cricket, Harbhajan is a little better than people on this forum give him credit for. But so is MacGill.

I'd say MacGill, simply because he played in less favourable conditions for more of his career (even including the fact he was often chosen specifically for Sydney).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
but MacGill played on far worse tracks
When Warne was around MacGill played

1. if the track was turning
2. The oppositions are rabbits against spin

Harbhajan did not have the above factors for him all the time.

Harbhajan on the role is like Akthar on a role, able to blast any lineup in to shreads.

Harbhajan for me, because he's a better bowler to better players of spin.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
When Warne was around MacGill played

1. if the track was turning
2. The oppositions are rabbits against spin

Harbhajan did not have the above factors for him all the time.

Harbhajan on the role is like Akthar on a role, able to blast any lineup in to shreads.

Harbhajan for me, because he's a better bowler to better players of spin.

Number 2 is not a real variable. Number 1 is. But MacGill bowled better than Warne at times, so that's hardly saying anything. And Harbhajan bowled a lot on pitches that suited spin - i.e. at home.

I would agree that the distance isn't as big as it seems, but I'd bet Macgill to be far more better away. Macgill also missed out in bowling in his prime. Harbhajan's gone out and had the better career, but I don't think that makes him better than Macgill in terms of ability.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Can't remember seeing a better spinning performance than that of Harbhajan in the 2001 India v Aus series TBH, I'll go with him.

haroon510

International 12th Man
MacGil.. he didn't play much but everytime he played and even when Warne was playing.. he played well

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Number 2 is not a real variable. Number 1 is. But MacGill bowled better than Warne at times, so that's hardly saying anything. And Harbhajan bowled a lot on pitches that suited spin - i.e. at home.

I would agree that the distance isn't as big as it seems, but I'd bet Macgill to be far more better away. Macgill also missed out in bowling in his prime. Harbhajan's gone out and had the better career, but I don't think that makes him better than Macgill in terms of ability.
Interesting though Macgill doesn't have a particularly good record away from home though.....his average is boosted a lot by figures against Bangladesh.
Macgill also never played in India and given the pasting he got from the Indians in 2003/204 I think its safe to say had he done so, the end result would not have been pretty for him.

Harbhajan has his limitations but he's played in pretty much every country - don't think there's much about him that's yet to be discovered.
And barring Pakistan, he's had decent performances (home or away) against every other major test playing nation.
Macgill's overall record still has too many question marks over it - the only teams Macgill has an excellent record against are Pakistan, Bangers and England.
And neither Pakistan nor England were regarded as particularly adept at playing leg spin.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting that no spinner from this era has a decent record against India. All of the good spinners either have poor records (Warne, Murali, MacGill etc...) or play for India (Kumble, Harbhajan).

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I've never understood the knock against Harbhajan. It's as though perfection is expected from Test cricketers. All of the batsmen and all of the bowlers can't have perfect stats. If he's struggled away from home or struggled to take wickets at times, it's part and parcel of his career. And while he may not be the greatest spinner India's ever produced, I can't understand the calls to drop him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The poll rates SS better than MacGill, it must please him to be rated better than a spinner. But it also rates Harbhajan as better than him, which must grate him to no small extent :p