Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 178

Thread: The Greatest All-Rounder of All Time

  1. #151
    International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    4,937
    Please select FOUR all-rounders in the first prelim poll


    Greatest All-rounder- Prelim Poll 1: Choose FOUR all-rounders

  2. #152
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'm not sure I get your point mate. Imran played plenty against Sri Lanka IIRC.
    There's no comparison between the Sri Lankan sides of the 80's and the non-descript collection of party poopers representing Bangladesh. Sri Lanka had a nucleus of Test quality cricketers (especially batsman) and were at least 10 years ahead of Bangladesh in development when they were given Test status.

  3. #153
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    There's no comparison between the Sri Lankan sides of the 80's and the non-descript collection of party poopers representing Bangladesh. Sri Lanka had a nucleus of Test quality cricketers (especially batsman) and were at least 10 years ahead of Bangladesh in development when they were given Test status.
    ... probably more

  4. #154
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    ... probably more

    I said "at least 10 years" because I only became aware of them as a cricket nation after the name change in the early 70's and they were stronger then than Bangladesh are now but didn't get Test status for another 10 years.


  5. #155
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,587
    The question of Bangladesh is actually whether they are Test class at all. But Sri Lanka were certainly minnows.
    ★★★★★

  6. #156
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    The question of Bangladesh is actually whether they are Test class at all. But Sri Lanka were certainly minnows.
    But you can't compare the difference it makes to a bowlers average today to Imran's era. If it's true that he averaged 15 against Sri Lanka he would probably average about 9 against the current Bangladesh imposters.

  7. #157
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    But you can't compare the difference it makes to a bowlers average today to Imran's era. If it's true that he averaged 15 against Sri Lanka he would probably average about 9 against the current Bangladesh imposters.
    Murali averages about 13 against them so it's not that far fetched. Usually, though, people tend to disregard Tests against these countries altogether so I am not sure how the difference or distinction matters. The truth is, Imran did play Sri Lanka and they were minnows - which counters the assertion that he never played minnows.

  8. #158
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Murali averages about 13 against them so it's not that far fetched. Usually, though, people tend to disregard Tests against these countries altogether so I am not sure how the difference or distinction matters. The truth is, Imran did play Sri Lanka and they were minnows - which counters the assertion that he never played minnows.
    When judging a cricketer the strength of the opposition should matter more than just blindly removing the stats of the weakest team of the era irrespective of how competitive they were. It's true it probably doesn't matter to people who reduce cricket to crude number crunching.

  9. #159
    International Coach Ikki's Avatar
    Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Death Queen Island
    Posts
    12,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    When judging a cricketer the strength of the opposition should matter more than just blindly removing the stats of the weakest team of the era irrespective of how competitive they were. It's true it probably doesn't matter to people who reduce cricket to crude number crunching.
    When people compare greats they rarely, if ever, care about how one great was 2-3 runs/wickets/balls better than another great against a minnow. So, that's why such a stat is of very little value. It shouldn't really matter if you are a stats man or not.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jupiter
    Posts
    1,355
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'm not sure I get your point mate. Imran played plenty against Sri Lanka IIRC.
    Imran avoided playing weaker sides many times and let Miandad captain the side in those respective series.
    Last edited by BhupinderSingh; 15-08-2009 at 09:24 AM.

  11. #161
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    There's no comparison between the Sri Lankan sides of the 80's and the non-descript collection of party poopers representing Bangladesh. Sri Lanka had a nucleus of Test quality cricketers (especially batsman) and were at least 10 years ahead of Bangladesh in development when they were given Test status.
    I'd totally agree with this, but that wasn't the point that was being made - Sri Lanka were Test cricket's "minnows" of the time and it was said that Imran avoided the minnows. I didn't think he did, becuase he played quite a bit against the weakest team of the era.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  12. #162
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by BhupinderSingh View Post
    Imran avoided playing weaker sides many times and let Miandad captain the side in those respective series.
    Could you give some examples? I'm not disbelieving you, but I'd be keen to see when it happened.

  13. #163
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'd totally agree with this, but that wasn't the point that was being made - Sri Lanka were Test cricket's "minnows" of the time and it was said that Imran avoided the minnows. I didn't think he did, becuase he played quite a bit against the weakest team of the era.
    It's a moot point whether the weakest team of any era should automatically be called minnows. But anyway when I first said that it was just to point it out rather than wanting to get bogged down with which stats should be removed to prove whatever point was trying to be made.

  14. #164
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    It's a moot point whether the weakest team of any era should automatically be called minnows. But anyway when I first said that it was just to point it out rather than wanting to get bogged down with which stats should be removed to prove whatever point was trying to be made.
    Yeah fair enough, I suppose there are differing levels of "minnow" - I consider the SL team of the early-mid 80s to have been minnows but still deserving of Test status, as opposed to current Bangladesh who to my mind aren't worthy of the title at all.

  15. #165
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    16,568
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    Could you give some examples? I'm not disbelieving you, but I'd be keen to see when it happened.
    New Zealand at home. Missed the series (circa 1990) where Chris Pringle went ball tampering loopy. Imran said his presence would only make the mismatch between the two sides even more apparent.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Most dominant sports-people of all time?
    By AlanJLegend in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 13-03-2010, 07:12 AM
  2. All Time Sri Lankan Test XI
    By grant28 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 24-03-2009, 06:05 PM
  3. Greatest WWE Intercontinental Champion of All Time
    By masterblaster in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 20-03-2009, 07:19 AM
  4. Vote for England's greatest all time uncapped XI
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-02-2009, 11:17 AM
  5. Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •