• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is the worst spell of bowling in international cricket ?

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
This piece is inspired by the recent spell by the unfortunate Bryce McGain vs South Africa in Cape Town today

Another 5 spells within living memory :

1.Jason Krieza Aus vs India Nagpur 2008 (reached his double hundred in the 30th over 3-202 - before his 5 wicket quickie turned the table)

2. AR Watkins - Aus Vs Pak 1973 Sydney (debut spell 6-0- 21-0 wasnt bowled in second innings , scored a match winning 36, had one day rules been vogue number of wides would have been a new high )

3. Ajith De Silva r(ebel Sri Lanka Opatha XI) vs South Africa 1983

4.Patterson Thomson - WI Vs NZ 1996 Bridgetown ( 8-58-2)

5. Uton Dowe Aus vs WI Kingston 1973 (21- 96-1 - evoked the 11th commandment - DOWE shalt not Bowl)

One day is omitted from purview

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
this piece is inspired by the recent spell by the unfortunate bryce mcgain vs south africa

another 3 spells within living memory :

2. Ar watkins - aus vs pak 1973 sydney (debut spell 6-0- 21-0 wasnt bowled in second innings , scored a match winning 36, had one day rules been vogue number of wides would have been a new high )

3. Ajith de silva r(ebel sri lanka opatha xi) vs south africa 1983

4.patterson thomson - wi vs nz 1996

5. Uton dowe aus vs wi kingston 1973 (21- 96-1 - evoked the 11th commandment - dowe shalt not bowl)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A couple by Robert Kennedy and Andrew Penn spring to mind...I'll search for the scorecards.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
ODI's rather than tests, but this one from Stuart Clark always stands out in my mind, I think because of how it looked compared to his teammates.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Krejza's against India wasn't anywhere near the worst. He was consistently threatening, that's why Ponting kept bowling him. Had a few dropped catches, a few skied shots missing fielders, plenty of beating the bat. Figures-wise it looks worse than it was. India looked to slog him and it largely came off.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
cremer's series against SA in 05 could be the worst series..the only time he missed out on a ton he had 9 overs for 86

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I hate to say it of a Lancastrian but I find it difficult to believe anyone has bowled worse than Chris Schofield did at Trent Bridge in 2000 against Zimbabwe

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not in a Test match but Scott Boswell in that one day final a few years ago takes some beating. It brought his career to a wretched and humiliating end.

iamdavid

International Debutant
ODI's rather than tests, but this one from Stuart Clark always stands out in my mind, I think because of how it looked compared to his teammates.
:laugh: at the fact Dan Cullen was playing for Australia...

I've never seen footage of it but apparently Watkins' spell was legendary, not for the treatment he got but simply because he had no control at all over where it was going...
McGain was atleast landing them on the strip (when they landed)...so I'll go for Watkins..

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Poor old Mick Lewis must be up there. Was given some fearful clobber when SA chased down 434.

Seem to remember Kabir Ali being mullered by Jayasuriya in an ODI at Headingley on the Lankans last tour too. Although it's almost unfair to single him out as the arseitude was fairly universal across our boys that day.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Poor old Mick Lewis must be up there. Was given some fearful clobber when SA chased down 434.

Seem to remember Kabir Ali being mullered by Jayasuriya in an ODI at Headingley on the Lankans last tour too. Although it's almost unfair to single him out as the arseitude was fairly universal across our boys that day.
Was thinking about that match in the context of this thread earlier. But I decided that was more a candidate for 'worst team bowling performance ever'.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain

Was thinking about that match in the context of this thread earlier. But I decided that was more a candidate for 'worst team bowling performance ever'.
That whole series was pretty bad for all English bowlers involved.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Krejza's against India wasn't anywhere near the worst. He was consistently threatening, that's why Ponting kept bowling him. Had a few dropped catches, a few skied shots missing fielders, plenty of beating the bat. Figures-wise it looks worse than it was. India looked to slog him and it largely came off.
Krejza was not threatening anybody...........the Indians were falling over themselves trying to hit him out of the park.

Precambrian

Banned
:laugh: Threatening?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh: at the fact Dan Cullen was playing for Australia...

I've never seen footage of it but apparently Watkins' spell was legendary, not for the treatment he got but simply because he had no control at all over where it was going...
McGain was atleast landing them on the strip (when they landed)...so I'll go for Watkins..
Watkins' was horrific in that he could barely hit the cut portion and bowled a couple of balls that bounced twice - he didnt bowl again because it was such an embarrassment!