cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 126

Thread: India Breaks it Finally !!

  1. #1
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205

    India Breaks it Finally !!

    It took 33 years for India to finally break the jinx of winning a test in NZ

    I Remember chatting to one of the architects of the last win in Auckland iway back in '76 - the spin maestro Chandra posted earlier :

    http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cric...s-flipper.html

    Chandra's Flipper
    During India's tour of NZ in '76 it was difficult to make out who was reading Chandra worse the kiwi batsman or the NZ umpires - both were equally at sea

    After striking the late Ken Wadsworth plumb for the nth time and being denied , Chandra delivered a ripping flipper (remember Viv Richards saying Chandra's fastest flipper was as fast as Thommo) which sent Wadsworth's offstump flying, Kirmani ducking for cover and the Kiwi umpire Monteith's breath .

    "He is bowled" exclaimed Monteith in awe as the stunned batsman stood his ground still unable to comprehend

    "Yes I know he is bowled " was Chandra's retort - "BUT IS HE OUT ?"



    In those days NZ umpiring was probably among the worst among test cricket nations and I remember one of the incidents in ill-tempered NZ-WI series of 1980 when umpire Brian Hastie claimed the WI Quartet was "too fast" for him and justifying turning down caught behind decisions.


    Anyway congrats to Dhoni and the Indian team for finally conquering this barrier - hopefully they will win the series and break the next jinx pending since 42 years .
    Last edited by Krishna_j; 21-03-2009 at 02:30 AM.

  2. #2
    U19 Cricketer Trumpers_Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ayers Rock
    Posts
    460
    Not a big deal really when you consider that India's team is far superior to NZ's. I didn't realise the 33 year stat. That is shameful. Would be the equivilent of Aus not winning in England for 30 odd years.

  3. #3
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    I didn't realise the 33 year stat. That is shameful. s.



    Amazing isnt it -

    Perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in NZ , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

    I am sure Bangladesh must be fancying their chances as well

  4. #4
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    #BlamePhlegm
    Posts
    39,737
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna_j View Post
    amazing isnt it -

    perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in nz , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

    I am sure bangladesh must be fancying their chances as well
    gagfc
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.


  5. #5
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    28,132
    Hardly amazing, how many of the touring teams would have been better than the hosts? India have never had a pace attack as good as this one, and NZ are as weak in tests as they've been for a while. Hell, i don't think India have ever actually had as good a team as this one. Any other contenders?

  6. #6
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    gagfc

    EIWUC

  7. #7
    International Debutant Evermind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j View Post
    Amazing isnt it -

    Perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in NZ , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

    I am sure Bangladesh must be fancying their chances as well
    Didn't they just get thrashed 3-0 or something recently?

  8. #8
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Hardly amazing, how many of the touring teams would have been better than the hosts? India have never had a pace attack as good as this one, and NZ are as weak in tests as they've been for a while. Hell, i don't think India have ever actually had as good a team as this one. Any other contenders?
    Thats right.

    If you make batting tracks, India could pile up big runs but did not have the fire power to get 20 wickets. If you make tracks to suit pacers, India would be bundled out but not be able to retaliate.

    Today the roles are reversed.

    By the way, its interesting to note that in 1967 India won the series and the bowlers who did the job for them were

    Code:
    Player          W	5w	 Best  	Avg   	S/R
    Prasanna, EAS   24	2	 6/94	18.79	54.04
    Bedi, B S	16	1	 6/127	23.19	70.31
    Nadkarni, R G	14	1	 6/43	17.93	81.79
    In 1976 the spinners were declining. Prasanna was in the 14th year of a 16 year long career and Chandra in his 12th of 15. Yet these two bowled well enough to allow India to draw the series 1-1.

    Code:
    Player   	W	Best	5w	Avg      S/R
    Prasanna, EAS	11	 8/76	1	20.27  51.64
    Chandrasekhar	11	 6/94	1	26.73  65.36
    Makes you wonder about the modern day great spinners of India doesn't it. These guys did it with next to no help from the seamers. There wasn't even a solitary Kapil Dev in sight let alone three fast medium to medium fast bowlers in the side and a couple waiting on the sidelines.

    Didn't someone say something in another thread about spinners not being effective. These guys were. You just have to be THAT good.

  9. #9
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    28,132
    Cricinfo - A win by spin in Dunedin

    A mix of first-hand accounts of India's first away test win, for those who haven't yet seen it.

  10. #10
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j View Post
    Amazing isnt it -

    Perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in NZ , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

    I am sure Bangladesh must be fancying their chances as well
    Please go talk to Jesse Ryder. I'm sure he'd be happy to put you through a toilet window as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    I need u like Henry Nicholls needs batting school
    He was terrible in that series
    I need u like Ross Taylor needed to be fit
    He's way better than Henry Nicholls
    And now all I can think about is your smile
    and that ****** test series too
    Losing to Australia sucked and I miss you
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  11. #11
    International Debutant Dissector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    2,337
    If we do manage to close the deal in this test series it will be quite a satisfying win. Not only will it be the first series win in New Zealand for over 40 years but it will be the first time we have beaten them in a test series this decade. With that India will have beaten every team at least once in this decade. We achieved this feat in the 70's IIRC but only with a Packer-weakened Australian team in 1979 and of course no South Africa. When you consider that India has won abroad in Pakistan, England and West Indies and been highly competitive in Australia and South Africa this is unquestionably our best decade of test cricket ever.

  12. #12
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Please go talk to Jesse Ryder. I'm sure he'd be happy to put you through a toilet window as well.
    No worries - I kinda figured out that the bump on your head means you were victim no 1 - and am sure post cricket Jessie will always find an opp to carry the follow through


    On another note - completely agree that this is India's best decade in test cricket - with 38 wins since 2000 and first ever wins in Pak & SA
    Last edited by Krishna_j; 21-03-2009 at 01:48 PM.

  13. #13
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    BANGALORE
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Thats right.

    I
    By the way, its interesting to note that in 1967 India won the series and the bowlers who did the job for them were

    Code:
    Player          W	5w	 Best  	Avg   	S/R
    Prasanna, EAS   24	2	 6/94	18.79	54.04
    Bedi, B S	16	1	 6/127	23.19	70.31
    Nadkarni, R G	14	1	 6/43	17.93	81.79
    In 1976 the spinners were declining. Prasanna was in the 14th year of a 16 year long career and Chandra in his 12th of 15. Yet these two bowled well enough to allow India to draw the series 1-1.

    Code:
    Player   	W	Best	5w	Avg      S/R
    Prasanna, EAS	11	 8/76	1	20.27  51.64
    Chandrasekhar	11	 6/94	1	26.73  65.36
    Makes you wonder about the modern day great spinners of India doesn't it. These guys did it with next to no help from the seamers. There wasn't even a solitary Kapil Dev in sight let alone three fast medium to medium fast bowlers in the side and a couple waiting on the sidelines..

    Eden park in the 70's and 80's was always a spinners paradise and the track in '76 when India won was a slow turner , from day one which did help Chandra and Prasanna - Chandra claimed most of the kiwi batsman (incl John Parker who scored a gritty ton were given at least 2-3 lbw reprieves ) - and John Bracewell at least twice in memory bowled the kiwis to victory at this venue .

    Still point accepted - that with Madan Lal and the amiable Jimmy Amarnath to open with the new ball it was an impressive feat for the Spin trio to bowl out a strong batting line up that included Congdon , Turner , Brian Hastings and John Parker.

    However at Christchurch and Wellington (where India was routed by Hadlee's 7-23 ) - the pitches were absolute green tops and the great spinners struggled and had meager rewards compared to the first test. NZ even dropped their impressive leggie David O Sullivan , prepared a green top and took a 4 pronged pace attack in Dayle , Hadlee , Cairns and Collinge and in near freezing conditions the Indian spinners could hardly grip let alone spin the bowl - which means climatic conditions rather than the state of the pitch had an effect on the great Quartet of spinners.
    Last edited by Krishna_j; 21-03-2009 at 01:52 PM.

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member Smudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    There or thereabouts
    Posts
    17,600
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j View Post
    . NZ even dropped their impressive leggie David O Sullivan
    Oh dear. We've got a real live cricket historian here, folks.

  15. #15
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    I fall asleep to Neil Wagner's roars
    Posts
    37,518
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j View Post
    No worries - I kinda figured out that the bump on your head means you were victim no 1 - and am sure post cricket Jessie will always find an opp to carry the follow through


    On another note - completely agree that this is India's best decade in test cricket - with 38 wins since 2000 and first ever wins in Pak & SA
    That bump is called a head, surprised you don't have one. My head contains a brain and two eyes. not usre what yours has.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 04:14 PM
  2. India in South Africa
    By Durham_CCC in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •