• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Breaks it Finally !!

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
It took 33 years for India to finally break the jinx of winning a test in NZ

I Remember chatting to one of the architects of the last win in Auckland iway back in '76 - the spin maestro Chandra posted earlier :

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-humour/19685-chandras-flipper.html

Chandra's Flipper
During India's tour of NZ in '76 it was difficult to make out who was reading Chandra worse the kiwi batsman or the NZ umpires - both were equally at sea

After striking the late Ken Wadsworth plumb for the nth time and being denied , Chandra delivered a ripping flipper (remember Viv Richards saying Chandra's fastest flipper was as fast as Thommo) which sent Wadsworth's offstump flying, Kirmani ducking for cover and the Kiwi umpire Monteith's breath .

"He is bowled" exclaimed Monteith in awe as the stunned batsman stood his ground still unable to comprehend

"Yes I know he is bowled " was Chandra's retort - "BUT IS HE OUT ?"
:laugh:

In those days NZ umpiring was probably among the worst among test cricket nations and I remember one of the incidents in ill-tempered NZ-WI series of 1980 when umpire Brian Hastie claimed the WI Quartet was "too fast" for him and justifying turning down caught behind decisions.

Anyway congrats to Dhoni and the Indian team for finally conquering this barrier - hopefully they will win the series and break the next jinx pending since 42 years .:blink:

Last edited:

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Not a big deal really when you consider that India's team is far superior to NZ's. I didn't realise the 33 year stat. :-O That is shameful. Would be the equivilent of Aus not winning in England for 30 odd years.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
I didn't realise the 33 year stat. :-O That is shameful. s.

Amazing isnt it -

Perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in NZ , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

I am sure Bangladesh must be fancying their chances as well :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
amazing isnt it -

perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in nz , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

I am sure bangladesh must be fancying their chances as well :laugh:
gagfc

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hardly amazing, how many of the touring teams would have been better than the hosts? India have never had a pace attack as good as this one, and NZ are as weak in tests as they've been for a while. Hell, i don't think India have ever actually had as good a team as this one. Any other contenders?

Evermind

International Debutant
Amazing isnt it -

Perhaps the fact that they hav'nt played all that much around in NZ , only around 12 tests post the 76 series over 33 years explains some part possibly .

Didn't they just get thrashed 3-0 or something recently?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hardly amazing, how many of the touring teams would have been better than the hosts? India have never had a pace attack as good as this one, and NZ are as weak in tests as they've been for a while. Hell, i don't think India have ever actually had as good a team as this one. Any other contenders?
Thats right.

If you make batting tracks, India could pile up big runs but did not have the fire power to get 20 wickets. If you make tracks to suit pacers, India would be bundled out but not be able to retaliate.

Today the roles are reversed.

By the way, its interesting to note that in 1967 India won the series and the bowlers who did the job for them were

Code:
[B]Player          W	5w	 Best  	Avg   	S/R[/B]
Prasanna, EAS   24	2	 6/94	18.79	54.04
Bedi, B S	16	1	 6/127	23.19	70.31
Nadkarni, R G	14	1	 6/43	17.93	81.79
In 1976 the spinners were declining. Prasanna was in the 14th year of a 16 year long career and Chandra in his 12th of 15. Yet these two bowled well enough to allow India to draw the series 1-1.

Code:
[B]Player   	W	Best	5w	Avg      S/R[/B]
Prasanna, EAS	11	 8/76	1	20.27  51.64
Chandrasekhar	11	 6/94	1	26.73  65.36
Makes you wonder about the modern day great spinners of India doesn't it. These guys did it with next to no help from the seamers. There wasn't even a solitary Kapil Dev in sight let alone three fast medium to medium fast bowlers in the side and a couple waiting on the sidelines.

Didn't someone say something in another thread about spinners not being effective. These guys were. You just have to be THAT good.

Flem274*

123/5
Amazing isnt it -

Please go talk to Jesse Ryder. I'm sure he'd be happy to put you through a toilet window as well.

Dissector

International Debutant
If we do manage to close the deal in this test series it will be quite a satisfying win. Not only will it be the first series win in New Zealand for over 40 years but it will be the first time we have beaten them in a test series this decade. With that India will have beaten every team at least once in this decade. We achieved this feat in the 70's IIRC but only with a Packer-weakened Australian team in 1979 and of course no South Africa. When you consider that India has won abroad in Pakistan, England and West Indies and been highly competitive in Australia and South Africa this is unquestionably our best decade of test cricket ever.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Please go talk to Jesse Ryder. I'm sure he'd be happy to put you through a toilet window as well.
No worries - I kinda figured out that the bump on your head means you were victim no 1 - and am sure post cricket Jessie will always find an opp to carry the follow through :laugh:

On another note - completely agree that this is India's best decade in test cricket - with 38 wins since 2000 and first ever wins in Pak & SA

Last edited:

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Thats right.

I
By the way, its interesting to note that in 1967 India won the series and the bowlers who did the job for them were

Code:
[B]Player          W	5w	 Best  	Avg   	S/R[/B]
Prasanna, EAS   24	2	 6/94	18.79	54.04
Bedi, B S	16	1	 6/127	23.19	70.31
Nadkarni, R G	14	1	 6/43	17.93	81.79
In 1976 the spinners were declining. Prasanna was in the 14th year of a 16 year long career and Chandra in his 12th of 15. Yet these two bowled well enough to allow India to draw the series 1-1.

Code:
[B]Player   	W	Best	5w	Avg      S/R[/B]
Prasanna, EAS	11	 8/76	1	20.27  51.64
Chandrasekhar	11	 6/94	1	26.73  65.36
Makes you wonder about the modern day great spinners of India doesn't it. These guys did it with next to no help from the seamers. There wasn't even a solitary Kapil Dev in sight let alone three fast medium to medium fast bowlers in the side and a couple waiting on the sidelines..

Eden park in the 70's and 80's was always a spinners paradise and the track in '76 when India won was a slow turner , from day one which did help Chandra and Prasanna - Chandra claimed most of the kiwi batsman (incl John Parker who scored a gritty ton were given at least 2-3 lbw reprieves ) - and John Bracewell at least twice in memory bowled the kiwis to victory at this venue .

Still point accepted - that with Madan Lal and the amiable Jimmy Amarnath to open with the new ball it was an impressive feat for the Spin trio to bowl out a strong batting line up that included Congdon , Turner , Brian Hastings and John Parker.

However at Christchurch and Wellington (where India was routed by Hadlee's 7-23 ) - the pitches were absolute green tops and the great spinners struggled and had meager rewards compared to the first test. NZ even dropped their impressive leggie David O Sullivan , prepared a green top and took a 4 pronged pace attack in Dayle , Hadlee , Cairns and Collinge and in near freezing conditions the Indian spinners could hardly grip let alone spin the bowl - which means climatic conditions rather than the state of the pitch had an effect on the great Quartet of spinners.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
No worries - I kinda figured out that the bump on your head means you were victim no 1 - and am sure post cricket Jessie will always find an opp to carry the follow through :laugh:

On another note - completely agree that this is India's best decade in test cricket - with 38 wins since 2000 and first ever wins in Pak & SA
That bump is called a head, surprised you don't have one. My head contains a brain and two eyes. not usre what yours has.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If we do manage to close the deal in this test series it will be quite a satisfying win. Not only will it be the first series win in New Zealand for over 40 years but it will be the first time we have beaten them in a test series this decade. With that India will have beaten every team at least once in this decade. We achieved this feat in the 70's IIRC but only with a Packer-weakened Australian team in 1979 and of course no South Africa. When you consider that India has won abroad in Pakistan, England and West Indies and been highly competitive in Australia and South Africa this is unquestionably our best decade of test cricket ever.
1971 team is still better IMO but if we carry on like this for 8 month-2 years, this might well be our best all time side

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What did the 1971 team do that the recent Indian team hasn't?
Win against the English side which was the best in the business back then arguably and win against a strong Windies side, both at their own back yard. Like it or not, we couldn't beat Australia in Australia or South Africa in South Africa.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1971 team is still better IMO but if we carry on like this for 8 month-2 years, this might well be our best all time side
Maybe not- you're looking in terms of achievements though. I'm looking in terms of quality and i think this Indian side's as good as any they've had.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Maybe not- you're looking in terms of achievements though. I'm looking in terms of quality and i think this Indian side's as good as any they've had.
In the end, it is performances you can translate from the talent you possess which matters. So it has to be looked at from the performances rather than the talent view point.