• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Breaks it Finally !!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
In any case, Mitchell Johnson is just oozing class right now. He's awesome and I'd definitely put him there with the best in the world, without a doubt higher than Ishant and Zaheer.
Going just a little OTT no?

He's a bit away from being "without a doubt higher than Zaheer and Ishant".

Sure he can now bowl the in-swinger but let's wait till he's a little more experienced before justifing him as such.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Going just a little OTT no?

He's a bit away from being "without a doubt higher than Zaheer and Ishant".

Sure he can now bowl the in-swinger but let's wait till he's a little more experienced before justifing him as such.
But Zaheer and Ishant aren't that brilliant anyway so it's hardly an outrageous call.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Agree to disagree, I happen to think they are both brilliant bowlers.
I think Zaheer is good and Ishant has the 'potential' to be brilliant but I've hardly been blown away by them. Not that I rate Johnson much higher than them anyway, higher than Zaheer maybe.

Evermind

International Debutant
I think Zaheer is good and Ishant has the 'potential' to be brilliant but I've hardly been blown away by them. Not that I rate Johnson much higher than them anyway, higher than Zaheer maybe.
Zaheer and Ishant are some of the most overrated bowlers in the world right now, other than Flintoff and a couple of other English players. Johnson is in a completely different class.

Zaheer, for examples, averages 35.85 against non-minnows. The argument used in his favour is always that he "always plays on flat Indian tracks". The fact is that he averages 34.66 away. Other than the freak India-NZ series where he averaged 13.72 and the England 2007 series where he averaged 20.33, he has never averaged below 30 in any series. Even his "new and improved" version 2.0 averages over 32 with the ball.

He averages 46+ in this series so far. Averaged 37.40 in the Australia series. Johnson strikes 6 balls faster, and hasn't had a single series against a minnow so far for his 28.01 average. They're not even comparable IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm that's a very interesting statistic indeed.
It's also incorrect- Zaheer has also averaged 13 in a series against the West Indies and 21 in the more recent series at home to England.

He still averages a very modest 35 without minnows. Tbf, neither he nor Ishant have done enough to be classed as the world's best for me.

Evermind

International Debutant
It's also incorrect- Zaheer has also averaged 13 in a series against the West Indies and 21 in the more recent series at home to England.

He still averages a very modest 35 without minnows. Tbf, neither he nor Ishant have done enough to be classed as the world's best for me.
Woops - must've been half asleep when looking at that. Still, 4 series out of 22 where he averages less than 30 - that's a pretty damning statistic.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
But Zaheer and Ishant aren't that brilliant anyway so it's hardly an outrageous call.
Zaheer and Ishant are some of the most overrated bowlers in the world right now, other than Flintoff and a couple of other English players. Johnson is in a completely different class.

Hopefully Zak is good enough against the kiwis when it counts - that's what matters :laugh:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Zaheer got lucky, lucky that us Kiwi's are such ****ing idiots while batting. I maintain that he is hardly a great bowler. If O'Brien or Franklin were bowling to our players I'd find them more threatening, if Zaheer were bowling to Indian I'd think he'd be dominated.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Zaheer got lucky, lucky that us Kiwi's are such ****ing idiots while batting. I maintain that he is hardly a great bowler. If O'Brien or Franklin were bowling to our players I'd find them more threatening, if Zaheer were bowling to Indian I'd think he'd be dominated.
Agreed Zaheeri is quite mediocre but Ishant:cool:

Evermind

International Debutant
Well according to Monga, Zaheer is the second coming - a mysterious, supernatural man who is ONE with the DAO:

Zaheer Khan has the air of a man on the prowl. When on the field, his every step is measured. He saves his energy for the final act - the kill. He has an almost intuitive knowledge of when to bust his gut and when to take it easy. He is not present at every training session and he did not train on the eve of this Test either. He may have been in the gym, or running somewhere else, doing yoga or doing nothing. His team lets him be.

His team-mates know Zaheer has sorted his game out, that he is sufficiently motivated and aware of his fitness levels. They know that they need not bother about him
8-)

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
You know yesterday S Monga wrote no less than 3 articles on the day's play for Cricinfo. I hope they're paying him by the word...certainly not fot the quality.

I think Zaheer bowled well, Taylor said he deserved the 5-for, however NZ played into his hand with poor shots and poor technique.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
That is utter rubbish.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Zaheer hasn't been great in his second coming but he has at least been passable good. He was dire earlier.