• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Breaks it Finally !!

I just find a bit of a persecution complex with Indian fans online that i don't get anywhere near as much with those of any other country. England probably got closer to winning against SA in the series at home last summer than India did in Australia the previous winter, but if i were to casually say (quite rightly) that England got nowhere near a victory I'm not going to have three English fans jump on me for it.

There's a degree of sensitivity around that particular series i guess. But i have pretty mixed opinions of every team and it's only ever the Indians that call me out for baiting when i say something less than complementary about their side.
I would have shouted "Hound" but for the overall depravity of sense the post exudes.

Do not blame "persecution complex (Haha what is that by the way)" for yourself not getting a sense of perspective. And at the suggestion that England were closer to winning the home series (by jove, weren't they routed before they made a "comeback" in the dead rubbers"?) than India. We have all seen Sydney 2008 and I guess this forum would have seen the worst of it. Hence I don't want to cut open a canfull of worms.

And nothing but your bias, am afraid, is showing up, when you endeavour to compare English fans to Indian fans. By that, you are doing nothing but taking a small sample (Bogans indeed exist among Indian fans, like any other population) and projecting it to the whole. By that logic, from now on, every nation should put a no immigration policy on English football fans considering the ruckus they have managed to incite wherever they go. But then, we really don't want and need to go there, do we?

Cricket Forums would be a better place, if massive generalisations and hasty judgments are done away with and instead discussions centered around the topics than ancillary and sometimes unwanted details.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would have shouted "Hound" but for the overall depravity of sense the post exudes.

Do not blame "persecution complex (Haha what is that by the way)" for yourself not getting a sense of perspective. And at the suggestion that England were closer to winning the home series (by jove, weren't they routed before they made a "comeback" in the dead rubbers"?) than India. We have all seen Sydney 2008 and I guess this forum would have seen the worst of it. Hence I don't want to cut open a canfull of worms.

And nothing but your bias, am afraid, is showing up, when you endeavour to compare English fans to Indian fans. By that, you are doing nothing but taking a small sample (Bogans indeed exist among Indian fans, like any other population) and projecting it to the whole. By that logic, from now on, every nation should put a no immigration policy on English football fans considering the ruckus they have managed to incite wherever they go. But then, we really don't want and need to go there, do we?

Cricket Forums would be a better place, if massive generalisations and hasty judgments are done away with and instead discussions centered around the topics than ancillary and sometimes unwanted details.
:huh:

What a near-incomprehensible yet utterly brilliant piece of literature that post was.

Anyway, it's not a generalisation, and don't think that it's reflecting on you personally, but I'm most certainly far more likely to get jumped on for expressing a negative opinion about an Indian player or team than I am a West Indian one, for example. The comparison with English football fans is pretty apt, actually. It's a tendency among some fans (not all, obviously) to react against criticism of their team by accusing me of bias against them. Football pundits here are accused of bias against pretty much every premiership team for daring to suggest that a certain player isn't good enough or that an area of their side needs to be improved.

The fact is, i have no reason in the world to favour Australia over India. Why would i? It's such a strange thing to even suggest. I just have opinions on their respective sides. Sehwag is awesome and Mishy rules, but Dravid should have been dropped yonks ago and Kumble was a dire captain. Mitchell Johnson's probably the best fast bowler in the world but Australia's spin bowling is beyond a joke. The opinion that India weren't really anywhere near winning in Australia is just another of those thoughts, but this time, i get jumped on. Strange.

Evermind

International Debutant
I just find a bit of a persecution complex with Indian fans online that i don't get anywhere near as much with those of any other country.

There's a degree of sensitivity around that particular series i guess. But i have pretty mixed opinions of every team and it's only ever the Indians that call me out for baiting when i say something less than complementary about their side.
Welcome to the consequences of stating facts about the Indian team. I am frequently maligned on these forums for saying slightly negative things about the Indian team. I claimed that the Indian team is nowhere near the best team in the world, and a couple of people got annoyed. I say Zaheer and Ishant aren't the best opening pair in the world, and got some **** too. No degree of criticism is tolerated, but especially about Tendulkar.

8-)

Xuhaib

International Coach
I too have noticed on cricket forums Indian fans getting too defensive If their team or players (especially Tendulkar) get criticized but I feel this forum is one of the few exceptions. Apart from one or two **** heads who bitch and moan constantly most of the Indian fans are pretty decent. Guys like Jono, SS, SJS, etc are pretty knowledgeable and can engage in good quality cricket discussion without showing any biasness towards their team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I too have noticed on cricket forums Indian fans getting too defensive If their team or players (especially Tendulkar) get criticized but I feel this forum is one of the few exceptions. Apart from one or two **** heads who bitch and moan constantly most of the Indian fans are pretty decent. Guys like Jono, SS, SJS, etc are pretty knowledgeable and can engage in good quality cricket discussion without showing any biasness towards their team.
Yeah AWTA. There is a defensive mechanism at other places (same with Pakistan and many Aussie posters) but on this forum most Indian posters are quality.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, very well put.

jeevan

International 12th Man
Hahaha, Indian cricket fans. I meant they got nowhere near winning the series. They didn't. Maybe could have got a draw though with a lot more luck.

But yeah, Jono nailed the actual point being made.
Pointing out that you are factually incorrect is not being defensive. India was one, may be two, umpiring errors away from drawing or even winning Sydney (and hence the series).

In any case, i dont see where being defensive is involved about comparing an Indian team of today vs the Indian team of 2 years ago.

For mine it is too early to conclude that this team is better than the one of 2 years ago. (in limited overs, yes they are).
- I'd rather have Ganguly over Yuvraj in tests.
- Much much rather a Kumble over the current selection of 3rd seamers
- Dravid of even 2 years ago over the one of today (one of 3 years ago will be best)
- Dont care if Ishant was inexperienced. *That* spell to Ponting is still the pinnacle of his career to date.
- Dont yet rate Dhoni's captaincy in tests over that of the "old guard". When he faces SA or an Australia that is not out of sorts away, will change my mind. Kumble did a great job rallying the troops in Perth, Dhoni's not been in that kind of situation yet (closest he came was after losing 2 T20I's in a row and went on about how bowlers were not following plans and were thinking for themselves).

Gambhir is the only one I'd transplant from this team into that team, given that Sachin & Sehwag were both "back" by that series.

Dont think I missed your point at all. Just refuting it, and now in more detail. But dont let that stop you from taking gratuitous potshots.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a lot in this team that has improved since the earlier teams, and that's been the cause of them winning a series in the West Indies, and then England. Hopefully they can win the series in New Zealand as well, and add one more location conquered.

The opening combination is one of the best they've got lately. We've seen three seamers picked just because 'the conditions abroad suit seamers', but Zaheer and Ishant can take enough between them anywhere. They've got enough to compete with the best. We've seen Kumble bowl rather well towards the end of his career but the last year, while Harbhajan is still a leading wicket-taker. The middle-order, hyped a lot over the years, is now putting together meaningful performances, while Dhoni is settling in nicely in the Test batting lineup. The only thing missing is a batsman who can bowl seam-up, and that will add a lot of balance, and allow the Indians to play two of their genuinely talented spinners. Conversely, a seam bowler who can score a few runs (not necessarily a Test #7) will help, now that two leading bowlers can also score a few on flat decks. The fielding is another cause for concern, though with new players coming in, that too will improve. Most importantly, they've got a very good lineup at present, and common sense dictates that it stays constant for a long term, so that they win more matches and tournaments.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For mine it is too early to conclude that this team is better than the one of 2 years ago. (in limited overs, yes they are).
The current team is not very different from the one of two years ago.
- I'd rather have Ganguly over Yuvraj in tests.
It's early days for Yuvraj. The Chennai innings will do him a lot of good, because that was one of the more meaningful innings played in the middle-order. Besides, Ganguly did nothing of note when needed most- he's floundered against the Australians, West Indians and South Africans, and the Kiwis and the English often caused a few itches.
- Much much rather a Kumble over the current selection of 3rd seamers
I second that. Kumble is, however, out of action, so you'll have to make do with Mishra, who's still worth more than that third seamer. I don't find any value created by the third seamer.
- Dravid of even 2 years ago over the one of today (one of 3 years ago will be best)
Dravid of two years ago or Dravid of today, you're talking of Dravid, and not some ordinary player. Write him off at your own risk.
- Dont care if Ishant was inexperienced. *That* spell to Ponting is still the pinnacle of his career to date.
He's good enough to carry for quite some time.
- Dont yet rate Dhoni's captaincy in tests over that of the "old guard". When he faces SA or an Australia that is not out of sorts away, will change my mind. Kumble did a great job rallying the troops in Perth, Dhoni's not been in that kind of situation yet (closest he came was after losing 2 T20I's in a row and went on about how bowlers were not following plans and were thinking for themselves).
Don't ask for too much. The best he's done is capitalise on opportunities that have come, and that's a huge positive. Once again, it's early days, and he's good enough to go the distance.
Gambhir is the only one I'd transplant from this team into that team, given that Sachin & Sehwag were both "back" by that series.
He's surely made that place in the team his own now.

To sum it up, this team has more or less what it takes and deserves to carry on this way for a long time. There is still scope for improvement, but they need the chances to get better.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Stop bleating and moaning like a broken record and move on - i could point to certain articles which emanates from your own country but then again its pointless in reacting to the ilks like you

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
i guess tending his sheep farm :laugh:

Seriously David O''Sullivan played his last test against India in '76 - and NZ cricket has been searching for a leggie ever since

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
i guess tending his sheep farm :laugh:
Brilliant. Utterly brilliant.

Seriously David O''Sullivan played his last test against India in '76 - and NZ cricket has been searching for a leggie ever since
You still don't get it, do you? A bit of research would have saved you looking a bit silly, but go on, keep falling deeper into the intellectual abyss.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:huh:

What a near-incomprehensible yet utterly brilliant piece of literature that post was.

Anyway, it's not a generalisation, and don't think that it's reflecting on you personally, but I'm most certainly far more likely to get jumped on for expressing a negative opinion about an Indian player or team than I am a West Indian one, for example. The comparison with English football fans is pretty apt, actually. It's a tendency among some fans (not all, obviously) to react against criticism of their team by accusing me of bias against them. Football pundits here are accused of bias against pretty much every premiership team for daring to suggest that a certain player isn't good enough or that an area of their side needs to be improved.

The fact is, i have no reason in the world to favour Australia over India. Why would i? It's such a strange thing to even suggest. I just have opinions on their respective sides. Sehwag is awesome and Mishy rules, but Dravid should have been dropped yonks ago and Kumble was a dire captain. Mitchell Johnson's probably the best fast bowler in the world but Australia's spin bowling is beyond a joke. The opinion that India weren't really anywhere near winning in Australia is just another of those thoughts, but this time, i get jumped on. Strange.
There is a difference between telling that the sides were evenly matched or maybe Aussies a bit ahead and telling they were not "anywhere near" defeating Australia that series.. As I said, the Sydney Test could have gone a completely different route had it not been for the dire umpiring and Perth we won and Adelaide was a draw... And given Sydeny could have gone either way, for me, we were close enough to defeating Australia in Australia...

And if you think people are touchy about comments about the Indian side, check out the India in New Zealand tour thread and see how some fans of NZ are........