• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Offering The Light

Rebecca

School Boy/Girl Captain
You know, when you're trying to explain all this to an American, you realise how daft some of it sounds!

Tonight just showed how ridiculous it is. They only took the light cos they thought they'd won. It had nothing to do with facing dangerous bowling. Surely It should be an impartially made decision.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Today was indeed a face, really highlighted the limitations of the current light system. I'm still amazed the umpires in a test match offer the light to the batsmen even if two spin bowlers are in operation.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The umpires were the ones that offered the light in the first place, cus they thought it was unsafe or the light readings indicated that.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah it wasn't like the West Indian batsman were able to say "Hey this light isn't looking too good Umpires we're heading off."

The Umpires made their decision and the West Indies were able to decide whether or not to stay on or off. In the Umpires opinion the light was dangerous.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
You cant blame the umpires for offering the light. The West Indies' goose was cooked because they had no light in their blooming head ! They needed someone to offer THEM the light. Everyone of them. From the frantically signaling head coach to the its-not-my-business-anyway slouching-dead-in-the-armchair skipper.

No Mr. Gayle, its not about putting this one behind since you cant do much about it and moving on to the next one. You guys have a serious problem.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
^ No, cricket has a serious problem.

Game is a joke atm with **** like this. Say what you want about sports, there isn't such idiocy like that.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One way to solve it is only play ODIs at grounds with lights, or start games at 9am without lights.

It has been a problem for ODIs forever.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There needs to be some uniform measure or standard of light before it is offered to the batsmen. It is far too subjective as it is right now.

Actually don't have much sympathy for the Windies team this morning, they only took the light because they thought they could shortcut their way to a win and it was hilarious seeing Dyson's face knowing he boobed badly. Feel sorry for their supporters though.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There needs to be some uniform measure or standard of light before it is offered to the batsmen. It is far too subjective as it is right now.

Actually don't have much sympathy for the Windies team this morning, they only took the light because they thought they could shortcut their way to a win and it was hilarious seeing Dyson's face knowing he boobed badly. Feel sorry for their supporters though.
Its terrible but what were they thinking anyway? Every damn idiot knows that the target on Duckworth Lwis system changes drastically the moment a wicket falls. West Indies had been just ahead for a few overs, just ahead by a run or two, so if they had any brains, they would have kept in mind what would happen if a wicket fell suddenly. You need to cover for that eventuality. The batsmen should have known that too. So that if the lead (over the D/L target) was slender, they would not throw away their wicket and leave themselves more vulnerable.

This is exactly what happened. They lost a wicket and never took that into account and called the batsmen in.

Yes the fans dont deserve it but the goons who handled it in the Windies dressing room do. This is just the first round of a five match series. Remember what happened to the South Africans and skipper Pollock at the World Cup? At least Pollock has the sorry excuse of not being familiar with the 'complexities' of the D/L method but damn it, that was centuries ago! It has gone into folklore as the great bloomer. It screwed Pollock's captaincy for ever and ever. Any captain and coach who does not know of that historical incident and is going to commit the same mistake needs all that is coming to him.

I have no sympathy with anyone on this.

Redbacks

International Captain
It's ridiculous (the situation of bad light) because it gives the team batting second a huge advantage (if they can read a DL sheet :tongue:).

They can bat till it's dark as they like right up until they get ahead on the DL then walk off.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It's ridiculous (the situation of bad light) because it gives the team batting second a huge advantage (if they can read a DL sheet :tongue:).

They can bat till it's dark as they like right up until they get ahead on the DL then walk off.
While I stick by "the Windies deserve what should come to nincompoops" I think it is ridiculous that on a ground equipped with lights, we cant have a regulation that allows at least an ODI to be completed if natural light deteriorates. And please don't give me the bull of conditions being different with natural and artificial light. Ask any international captain/team at a time when they do not have a vested interest involved and they will say YES to it.

Redbacks

International Captain
I will offer my services to the ICC to code a software system that can get live scores directly from the scorer's, access a look up table and produce in big flashing letters a GUI with Score Required = xxx :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I will offer my services to the ICC to code a software system that can get live scores directly from the scorer's, access a look up table and produce in big flashing letters a GUI with Score Required = xxx :)
Scores required - either of
  1. xxx for a
  2. xyy for b
  3. xzz for c

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
One way to solve it is only play ODIs at grounds with lights, or start games at 9am without lights.

It has been a problem for ODIs forever.
Not when there was reserve days for ODIs.

Someone give me a shout when the terminally ill ODI finally dies.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Not when there was reserve days for ODIs.

Someone give me a shout when the terminally ill ODI finally dies.
I dont think ODI is terminally ill but you know what, incompetent doctors have been known to kill healthy patients before this so we may still give you that shout :dry: