• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

U 19 WC Final 2008 - Pakistan vs. India

Xuhaib

International Coach
YouTube - Cricket U-19 World Cup -Wickets

Blakey linked it in another thread. I have to say, as a Pakistan cricket team fan, the footage made me grin. Does anyone know what's up with Anwar Ali, Jamshed Ahmed and the third fella? There's some phenomenal bowling in there...
Anwar Ali is pretty crap from what I have seen recently. No pace or extra bounce and even though gets swing but its never as ridiculous as you see here, does the job in FC but having seen him I doubt will do much at Int level. The other suffered serious injuries and did not play any cricket last season though they did get to play few matches this season so will give feedback on them when I see them play.

Bouncer

State Regular
http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/1237273-post11.html

That was my first post about anwar and i still believe in that

"I was never too impress with Anwer, i saw him in WC semi against AUS and talking to my brother i told him that this guy will get eaten up by indians in final as he only bowls a big in dipper (atleast at that point watching a few over from him in semi) i didnt see any other variation. I told him that all Indians have to do is to make sure to cover the swing of the ball, put your front foot forward and smack him through the covers........Offcourse they were too poor to fell to this one trick poney......I liked the left armer who opened with Anwar and first change bowler alot, he looked quite like young Sami, quicky off the wicket, aggrasive, seemed to me to be more of a bowler than anwar"

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I remember when the final first occurred, and how crazy the series thread was, first with Pak collapsing and then India doing even worse.

However, what was the verdict as to why it swung so much? Were conditions THAT friendly?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Always love watching the U/19 WC footage of Anwar Ali bowling those huge in-swingers.

Dissapointing Ali has never reclaimed anywhere near that sort of bowling rythm. There is some footage on Youtube of Anwar Ali bowling in the Hong Kong 6's. Purely from a bowling action viewpoint, he appears to have changed his action. Looks highly inconsistant, and not the sort of action to really generate any real pace.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I remember when the final first occurred, and how crazy the series thread was, first with Pak collapsing and then India doing even worse.

However, what was the verdict as to why it swung so much? Were conditions THAT friendly?
Must be the conditions since Anwar does not get this sort of swing regularly (who can). The other guy looks more impressive and has mostly done well when he has played but he has been too injury prone to string regular performances.

Slightly off topic but the guy to watch out from Pakistan is Mohd Aamir the one who played in the recent U-19 WC. I don't know how many on this forum have seen him but imo he is as complete a fast bowler as you can get before int exposure, the only worry is he has a Sami face.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Must be the conditions since Anwar does not get this sort of swing regularly (who can). The other guy looks more impressive and has mostly done well when he has played but he has been too injury prone to string regular performances.

Slightly off topic but the guy to watch out from Pakistan is Mohd Aamir the one who played in the recent U-19 WC. I don't know how many on this forum have seen him but imo he is as complete a fast bowler as you can get before int exposure, the only worry is he has a Sami face.
Yeah I'm fan, posted a few times on here about him but if he is 16 then I'm the Queen of Sheba. First saw him when he toured England with Pak U19, must have been two years ago and he was already bowling 85mph + and looked different class. Seemed very comfortable with his game and a world away from the raw 'potential' of Khan and the other 'speedster' who played against Sri Lanka?

From what I have read it won't be long until we see him thrust into the full national side.

Salamuddin

International Debutant

They were pretty friendly.

In the semi f-final between England and INdia, the Indian seamers Yo Mahesh and ABu Nechim swung it plenty. The Hapless English didn't have an effing clue.