• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Runner

Should a runner be allowed?

• Total voters

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The main problem with runners is when the injured batsman is on strike and the runner is running from about 30 yards away leaving the umpire without a cat in hells chance of judging a close Run Out at speed.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The main problem with runners is when the injured batsman is on strike and the runner is running from about 30 yards away leaving the umpire without a cat in hells chance of judging a close Run Out at speed.
It would have been a real pain in the ass for the umpires before the TV replays came into play. But, since cricket is not a physical contact sport, I think runners should be allowed when batsmen are injured. But seeking runners for minor niggles should be strongly discouraged.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is true and would have been a fair enough argument ten years ago, but when was the last time an umpire actually judged a runout without sending it upstairs?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
This is true and would have been a fair enough argument ten years ago, but when was the last time an umpire actually judged a runout without sending it upstairs?

I assumed it was a more general question than just about important matches with loads of cameras and a third umpire.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I dont mind it either way. TBH, thinking about it I like the current rule.

I dont want people making injuries worse and genuinely hurting themselves because they are trying to run when damaged.

I can understand people saying that they can hit 4s and 6s and deal with it, but you will have people with broken legs trying to run 3s. Ego and helping the team will cause damage.

Fusion

Global Moderator
I dont mind it either way. TBH, thinking about it I like the current rule.

I dont want people making injuries worse and genuinely hurting themselves because they are trying to run when damaged.

I can understand people saying that they can hit 4s and 6s and deal with it, but you will have people with broken legs trying to run 3s. Ego and helping the team will cause damage.
That applies to other aspects of the game too though. A bowler with a bad back may keep bowling just to help the team for example. In my opinion if an injury is serious enough to prevent a player from performing an essential function, they should either retire hurt or keep playing with the limitation if they want to. Providing a runner has never seemed right to me.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think the 12th man should be allowed to field, so I certainly don't think runners should be allowed.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A very strong 'no' from me.

Will change to a yes if fielders can piggyback bowlers from their mark to the crease, mind.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I don't think the 12th man should be allowed to field, so I certainly don't think runners should be allowed.
Agree with this, if a player gets injuried on Day 1 of a Test for example, you're then down to 10 fielders the rest of the game. No more of this subing fielders on and off.

Agree with no runners too.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That applies to other aspects of the game too though. A bowler with a bad back may keep bowling just to help the team for example. In my opinion if an injury is serious enough to prevent a player from performing an essential function, they should either retire hurt or keep playing with the limitation if they want to. Providing a runner has never seemed right to me.
Not exactly analogous to bowling. A runner doesn't bat for the batter and if a batter has an injury serious enough to prevent him batting, they generally do go off.

It may not be entirely free from controversy but it's swings and roundabouts. Sure bowlers can't have a runner if they get injured but the discrepancy is cured by the fact that a batter could call for a runner and get out next ball whereas providing the equivalent of a runner for a bowler (if it was just their legs injured) would mean they could keep bowling all day. And although I'm sure people would be able to come up with examples of where a batter batted on one leg and saved the day, there's a heap more examples where a batter called for a runner and was out soon after. It's such a rare occurance that I fail to see the merit in legislating against it, too overly-officious for mine.

thierry henry

International Coach
Sorry to be pedantic, but the 3rd umpire has actually been around in international cricket for over 16 years now

Precambrian

Banned
If you are strong-willed and brave enough to compete even after sustaining an injury, you have earned a runner afaic.
Hmm... whose dupli is this? AFAIC?

BTW, I would say no runner, because batting is not a job where an injury can be specific only to hindering one's running abilites but not one's striking ability.

Craig

World Traveller
If a batsman goes into a game injured then tough luck, no runner, but if he gets injured then yes for mine.