• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sreesanth: where is he?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
How can just 14 days of 3 hr cricket, and with just 4 overs at disposal can conclusively term a bowler as average?

If that is the case, a person watching or forthhe first time in the IPL would also be led to believe both are not worthy of test its. Right?
How so? Dravid's defense was good in the IPL. He might be a good test batsman, he might not be. It is inconclusive. However, when you see Sohail Tanveer swing the ball like he did, you can be rest asssured he has truckloads of talent. Similarly when you see Gagandeep Singh not having any thing special in his armoury, you can conclude he is average. The same can't be said for Ishant Sharma as he did show that he at least had pace.

About as much proof as you have to say he lacks the goods to succeed at the top level. Just visible evidence which your brain construes as him being crap, and mine construes as him having some injury.
I am not going to create hoxy poxy stories that a player was injured or match unfit for one.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
So what speciality did you find in Gagandeep Singh from whatever you saw off him? He had the pace to scare international batsmen or was it the variation which I some how blindly missed. Gagandeep Singh is not international class. Any one could see it seeing him in the IPL.
By that definition, Kallis is not an international standard player either. Not every game is suited to every format, even assuming he was in top form. And being allowed to bowl only four overs is hardly indicative of anything.

If you go by IPL, the guys who are going to be picked are the guys with the slow ball, the slower ball, and the even slower ball. Yea, that'll be fun to watch.

Precambrian

Banned
How so? Dravid's defense was good in the IPL. He might be a good test batsman, he might not be. It is inconclusive. However, when you see Sohail Tanveer swing the ball like he did, you can be rest asssured he has truckloads of talent. Similarly when you see Gagandeep Singh not having any thing special in his armoury, you can conclude he is average. The same can't be said for Ishant Sharma as he did show that he at least had pace.

I am not going to create hoxy poxy stories that a player was injured or match unfit for one.
Please note I didn't say GG Singh was indeed having an injury. These things, considering his relative fame and the general media orgy during that time, could have gone unnoticed.

And yes, Dravid is one of the greatest test cricketers of the modern generation. He is not just test class, but world class, a subset and an exclusive one in that. So to compare him to GG Singh is a tad unfair and also ridiculous considering T20 is a batsman;s game, and hence people tend to notice them more than the bowlers.

Kumble, Ishant... why even Murali had relatively off key IPL. GG Singh was unlucky not to have got more than 4 games to show his mettle. Even the ultra mediocre (and ultimately unsuccessful) James Hopes got to play more games than him.

Also please understand that even the legendary McGrath became so without the glamour, the pace or the aesthetics.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
By that definition, Kallis is not an international standard player either. Not every game is suited to every format, even assuming he was in top form. And being allowed to bowl only four overs is hardly indicative of anything.

If you go by IPL, the guys who are going to be picked are the guys with the slow ball, the slower ball, and the even slower ball. Yea, that'll be fun to watch.
You are misunderstanding me. IPL shows skills a player might or might not have. Where did Gagandeep Singh show that skill. A bowler can through a rough patch and so to a batsman but what I didn't from Gagandeep Singh is any thing special in his armoury to trouble international batsmen.

Precambrian

Banned
You are misunderstanding me. IPL shows skills a player might or might not have. Where did Gagandeep Singh show that skill. A bowler can through a rough patch and so to a batsman but what I didn't from Gagandeep Singh is any thing special in his armoury to trouble international batsmen.
By jove, give him a break. The chap was bowling to the wolves at the death, and you expect him to show his armoury at that point in time?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Please note I didn't say GG Singh was indeed having an injury. These things, considering his relative fame and the general media orgy during that time, could have gone unnoticed.

And yes, Dravid is one of the greatest test cricketers of the modern generation. He is not just test class, but world class, a subset and an exclusive one in that. So to compare him to GG Singh is a tad unfair and also ridiculous considering T20 is a batsman;s game, and hence people tend to notice them more than the bowlers.

Kumble, Ishant... why even Murali had relatively off key IPL. GG Singh was unlucky not to have got more than 4 games to show his mettle. Even the ultra mediocre (and ultimately unsuccessful) James Hopes got to play more games than him.

Also please understand that even the legendary McGrath became so without the glamour, the pace or the aesthetics.
I am NOT compaing Dravid to Gagandeep Sngh. Some one can have poor form but he can still show skills with a compact defensive stroke, a meaty cover drive or a good yorker say. Where did Gagandeep Singh show the skill at all. He didn't and it is enough to conclude that he is average for me. Maybe not for you.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I've never seen Gagandeep bowl, and I don't know if T20 performances relate to FC or Test performances, but I do know that if the selectors have been looking past him for so long despite his stellar FC record, there must be some basis for it. Our selectors might not get every decision right, but I don't think they'd be stupid or corrupt enough to not pick him without good reason. The selectors' ineptness manifests itself time and again through undeserved picks, but seldom does it do so through not picking someone good.

Precambrian

Banned
I am NOT compaing Dravid to Gagandeep Sngh. Some one can have poor form but he can still show skills with a compact defensive stroke, a meaty cover drive or a good yorker say. Where did Gagandeep Singh show the skill at all. He didn't and it is enough to conclude that he is average for me. Maybe not for you.
If that is the case, why didn't Ishant do well than his mediocre 46 average in IPL? Why did Kumble average near 50?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If that is the case, why didn't Ishant do well than his mediocre 46 average in IPL? Why did Kumble average near 50?
I am not talking averages here. I am talking showing skills. Ishant showed that he had the pace. Kumble already has shoulder problems and is way past his best. He would have done better with variation in length say 8 years ago.

Precambrian

Banned
I am not talking averages here. I am talking showing skills. Ishant showed that he had the pace. Kumble already has shoulder problems and is way past his best. He would have done better with variation in length say 8 years ago.
Nothing of the sort. Kumble bowled for almost 10 months IPL. Ishant was crap and showed he is unsuitable to the shortest format. The only skill he seemingly depicted was the slow ball.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Nothing of the sort. Kumble bowled for almost 10 months IPL. Ishant was crap and showed he is unsuitable to the shortest format. The only skill he seemingly depicted was the slow ball.
I am not sure what you mean by 'Kumble bowled for almost 10 months IPL' but has indeed been plagued by shoulder problems. When asked by Ravi Shastri how long he will go on during the Indian tour of Australia, Kumble mentioned it was a pain every day with his shoulder and didn't know if he could hang on for long.

How did Ishant Sharma not show that he can bowl pacy deliveries when he did bowl pacy deliveries. When was I talking but Ishant Sharma's suitability to the shortest format. Don't try to cleverly change the topic.

Evermind

International Debutant
If we go by effectiveness in the IPL, Shane Watson is the best batsman in the world.

That really should end the discussion.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If we go by effectiveness in the IPL, Shane Watson is the best batsman in the world.

That really should end the discussion.
We are not going by effectiveness in the IPL in terms of performance. Doesn't mean we can't gauge skills like say Sean Marsh is a terrific stroke player or Gagandeep Singh has nothing special in his bowling armoury.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not surprised to see people that don't like him claiming that slap-gate has kept him out of the side ... well, he's been injured until very recently and hasn't regained form yet. On talent alone, he's India's third-best quick in test cricket and very much still in the picture.
While I am no one dictate what any cricketer does or does not do with his life, Didn't Sreesanth compete in some Dance show in India ? If he is injured how come he is dancing in those shows ?

Evermind

International Debutant
While I am no one dictate what any cricketer does or does not do with his life, Didn't Sreesanth compete in some Dance show in India ? If he is injured how come he is dancing in those shows ?
Millions can dance - few can bowl successfully in test cricket.