• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Lunch Break

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It always amazes me on rainy days that the lunch break is never shifted. It was ridiculous in today's shield game that they went off the field for an hour, there was 40 minutes of playable weather and then they returned for about 20 minutes and it started raining again.

I don't understand why the lunch break is so sacred. Fair enough after the first 2 hours of play on a day the players deserve a 40 minute rest, but it's a bit ridiculous in a rain affected game when the players have been off the field for a full day and have started an hour late that after 1 hours play they require a 40 minute break.

I also remember it happening at a test match at the 'Gabba against India when the first 4 days were heavily affected by rain. I think it was the 2nd day when they were on the field for barely half an hour before lunch, they then spent 40 minutes in the dressing rooms for lunch, while the spectators were watching lunch time entertainment on the field, then upon resumption there was about 2 overs before the rain started once again.

It's a bit of a joke and something that must be looked at imo.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, there should be scope to move it to fit around the good weather - a rule that play can't extend beyond two hours without a break, but that the break can be as short as 15-20 mins, and taken only after two hours of play - if because of rain they don't start til 11:30, then lunch is at 13:30, not 13:00.

Maybe look at something similar for overrates as well. If the bowling team is 3 overs behind after the first session, lunch is shortened by 12 minutes. I'd imagine that as long as there's a 15-20 minute break for the batsmen to refresh themselves, any shortening of the breaks would hurt the fielding team more than the batsmen, and in any case they play a long session in the evening, in crapper light usually, to make up the overs anyway.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not bad suggestions actually. I know as a batsman, a quick drinks break is better than sitting down for 15 minutes. But then I don't have 6 hour days facing quality bowling.

biased indian

International Coach
dont think batsmen are any way having heavy food during luch time..a break of 20-30 min is more than enough...any way lunch break in india is just a joke they go for luch @ 11.30 andc ome back around 12.10....

as for the points in the first post ICC was discussing about some thing on the same line rite ???

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It always amazes me on rainy days that the lunch break is never shifted. It was ridiculous in today's shield game that they went off the field for an hour, there was 40 minutes of playable weather and then they returned for about 20 minutes and it started raining again.

I don't understand why the lunch break is so sacred. Fair enough after the first 2 hours of play on a day the players deserve a 40 minute rest, but it's a bit ridiculous in a rain affected game when the players have been off the field for a full day and have started an hour late that after 1 hours play they require a 40 minute break.

I also remember it happening at a test match at the 'Gabba against India when the first 4 days were heavily affected by rain. I think it was the 2nd day when they were on the field for barely half an hour before lunch, they then spent 40 minutes in the dressing rooms for lunch, while the spectators were watching lunch time entertainment on the field, then upon resumption there was about 2 overs before the rain started once again.

It's a bit of a joke and something that must be looked at imo.
100% spot-on. This always annoys the hell out of me and I'm as mystified by the stupidity of it as you are.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
I agree. I mean they might have not played for the first session, then they have lunch, when they could be playing instead!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Tbh, its things like this which makes cricket unique.

Uniquely stupid I mean.

Stuff like unnecessary lunch breaks, and using technology to judge if a player's foot touches the rope, but not whether a batsman nicked the ball (until recently) sums up the misplaced 'traditions' of the game sometimes.

Last edited:

Indipper

State Regular
This is a discussion by grown men about not wanting to come to the table cause they'd rather play with their friends. :huh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we all agree that Mister Wright's initial post already summed the issue up perfectly and turn this into a thread for idle discussion during the achingly long lunch breaks of quality matches?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we all agree that Mister Wright's initial post already summed the issue up perfectly and turn this into a thread for idle discussion during the achingly long lunch breaks of quality matches?
Haha, yeah.

I doubt anyone here's going to disagree with the opening post.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What have they been showing on Sky Sports NZ during the lunch break today?

In Aus, we've been watching an ODI final between Aus and SL, decent match. Does anyone else who is watching love the old scorecards?