• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Of These Bowlers Will Have The Best Career?

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
The bowlers which I am going to list are young, inexperienced, hyped to a certain extent and all have potential. Thus far in their varying careers, they have different levels of success.

Morne Morkel: Allan Donald has had made big comments about him. Not exactly sure what he said word for word, but something along the lines of 'if he reaches his potential, he will touch heights that he (Donald) hasn't.' Unfortunately, he is too inconsistent and wayward. He has all the attributes to be a top quality fast bowler, but whether it is mentally of technically, of late he has been so disappointing. Nothing of note on this tour and in Australia, there were glimpses of class, but it was never consistent. He is obviously a player of the future even though he has been dropped; South Africa's minimal bowling depth means that he will make a come back.

For the future? I don't think he will get close to the class of Donald, Pollock or Steyn, maybe in the Ntini and Nel frame of bowler.

Stuart Broad: he is one of the suprising choices by England I feel. After 8-10 Tests, his record was akin to that of the ill-regarded likes of Mahmood and Plunkett, yet, mainly due to his batting I believe, he has remained and received an extended run in the England line up. After 15 Test matches, the only thing bowling wise he has above Mahmood and Plunkett is a better economy rate. I can't see him leading an attack and I think that the likes of Mahmood, Plunkett, Davies, Tremlett and a few others could do a better wicket-taking job than he is doing currently. Lets not forget the other campiagners like Sidebottom and Hoggard who are also in the frame.

For the future? He'll be there during the Ashes and that seems to be either a make or break situation for both Australians and the Englishmen. If he performs well, he'll be a fixture. If he performs averagely, he will possibly be an Ian Bell hanger-onner fixture in the team, performs poorly, well we saw what happened to Martyn, Katich and Gillespie after the Ashes.

Peter Siddle: looks to be a real bastard of a bowler gonig back to the 80s and early 90s. His career has been suprisingly good for someone who is relatively inexperienced.

For the future? Seems like a stayer, only issues really are comeptition - Lee, Clark, Hilfenhaus and Bollinger.

Ishant Sharma: there is always hype when a fast bowler from India makes an appearance on the Test scene. And with a country that has only produced two world class pacemen, it really is anybodys guess what will happen with Sharma.

Tim Southee: similar situation to that of Sharma. Young, exciting and raw. I feel that he doesn't have the necessary weapons to be a serious threat on pitches that don't cater to his needs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Test career:

1. Peter Siddle
2. Ishant Sharma
3. Stuart Broad
4. Tim Southee
5, Morne Morkel

ODI career:

1. Stuart Broad
2. Tim Southee
3. Peter Siddle
4. Ishant Sharma
5, Morne Morkel

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
So pretty much, everyone sucks? :p
To a certain extent :).

To think that Morkel would be dropped 6-12 months ago would be a stupid thought. As for Broad, with all things considered, statistically, he is less effective than both Plunkett and Mahmood were after 15 Tests compared to the amount they played, but he appears to be a long-term prospect while others have be disarded.

Sharma, and I think you could lump all Indian fast bowlers in this group is a real 'watch and see' type bowler. Anything could happen. He has toubled the best batsmen and I have a good feeling about him. Southee on the other hand, he might of got the Indian treatmnet - thrown into the deep end after a u/19 WC. Just like Sharma, wait and see. In saying that though, from those I've listed, he's had the least success and on top of that, (I know he has only played a handful of games) he looked really ineffective in Australia.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Morne Morkel. The guy has talent and can bowl very well. If he attains what he can achieve as a cricketer, he will go far.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Test career:

1. Peter Siddle
2. Ishant Sharma
3. Stuart Broad
4. Tim Southee
5, Morne Morkel

ODI career:

1. Stuart Broad
2. Tim Southee
3. Peter Siddle
4. Ishant Sharma
5, Morne Morkel
Interesting to see that you think Morkel will be less succesful than Broad in Tests, why is that?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Gut feeling of what will rather than what could happen. Morkel has superb potential and pretty much everybody knows that but I feel Broad is a more realistic prospect, he bowls wicket taking deliveries, can get good batsmen out and is ever leaning. I don't think he should be in the team now, unless he is batting at seven, but I am sure that he is a future prospect.

Flem274*

123/5
To a certain extent :).

To think that Morkel would be dropped 6-12 months ago would be a stupid thought. As for Broad, with all things considered, statistically, he is less effective than both Plunkett and Mahmood were after 15 Tests compared to the amount they played, but he appears to be a long-term prospect while others have be disarded.

Sharma, and I think you could lump all Indian fast bowlers in this group is a real 'watch and see' type bowler. Anything could happen. He has toubled the best batsmen and I have a good feeling about him. Southee on the other hand, he might of got the Indian treatmnet - thrown into the deep end after a u/19 WC. Just like Sharma, wait and see. In saying that though, from those I've listed, he's had the least success and on top of that, (I know he has only played a handful of games) he looked really ineffective in Australia.
In Southee's defence, he owned the Australian top order in the first test.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sure did. That was the best non-Bond new ball spell I've seen from a NZer in years.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Morne morkel and Ishant Sharma will surley be world class bowlers
The rest by limitations broad will be more of a allrounder,siddle lacks talent

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Such a lottery as to which of these bowlers may turn out to be gold. Each are so young, and may well end up carrying the bowling attacks of Australia, India, England, New Zealand and South Africa for years to come.

Peter Siddle is a real bowlers bowler. For a player of such little experience, he does the basics correct. Bowls at a good pace, has just enough movement, and knows where to place the ball to take wickets. He spices it up with some real throwback aggression to a more personality driven period in the game. I think the comparisons to Craig McDermott are suitable. He will never be the greatest bowler in the world, but you can sure build a bowling attack around him. If he keeps his body in shape I think he is the highest chance of taking 200+ test wickets of all the bowlers listed.

Ishant Sharma has gained alot of fans in his short time in the game. On potential, could be the finest Indian pacemen ever produced. Everyone references to his spell of bowling to Ponting in Perth, but with such good reason. Arguably one of the finest bowling spells at a single batsmen ever seen in Australia of the last decade. Sharma has been consistent ever since his breakthrough tour of Australia, yet hasn't got the wickets to back himself up yet. Looks prone to a serious injury at some stage in his career, physically his body just doesn't look like it would cope for any stretch of time.

Tim Southee I don't believe will develop into anything more than a good reliable swing bowler. As already mentioned, looks fantastic when the ball has some movement, otherwise he looks very pedestrian. Needs to develop some more weapons in his armory if he is to ever be a massive success at Test level. Is still very young, and will hopefully develop more in the future.

Stuart Broad I am not a big fan of. His positives include his height, solid bowling action, and he has some pace. Otherwise his accuracy really isn't that great, and doesn't have the movement off the seam or in the air to constantly take wickets. I would much prefer to make an opinion on Broad after he has spent another 2-3 seasons in the county game to make him into a more rounded bowler.

Morne Morkel may well end up one of the worlds best. I get the feeling that one day Morkel will get his consistency right. He has the ability to produce some of the most unplayable deliveries at such great pace and odd angles due to his size and bowling action. Out of all the bowlers listed, he has probably achieved the most in his international career so far. Was a very important member of the South African bowling lineup until the current series in South Africa.

Interesting mix of bowlers, and I do hope over the years they battle it out for supremacy as the worlds top pacemen. Will create some fantastic debates as each bowler offers something very different. Siddle with aggression, Sharma with pace and movement, Southee to swing the ball at right angles, Morkel to be unplayable with his bounce and Broad may develop into something.

Who I believe will have the most successful career?
1. Siddle
2. Morkel
3. Sharma
4. Southee
5. Broad

On potential who may be the most successful if they develop and stay fit?
1.Sharma
2. Morkel
3. Siddle
4 Southee
5. Broad

iamdavid

International Debutant
Ishant and Morne certainly have the most potential out of the bowlers named, however due to the prospect of injury in Sharma's case and never quite finding his radar in Morkel's, I would be pleasantly suprised if either of them ever quite reach their potential.

I think Siddle has it in him to be a very good test bowler, just how good only time will tell, but not many paceman have come into test cricket with so little experience behind them and almost instantly performed in the way he has. Against the two next-best sides in the world to boot. I think he's a better bowler now than Glenn McGrath was at the same stage of his career....

Southee is pretty one-dimensional as has been mentioned, pretty moderate in pace and lacking something to fall back on when the ball isn't nipping around. However he is still very young and with the lack of depth in New Zealand then he's likely to be in or around the side for a very long time to come, may yet drastically improve...he's also got plenty of ability with the bat and will eventually bat alot higher than he does atm.

Broad is obviously a project player and theres some merit in that I feel, certainly has stacks of potential and I reckon he's a better allrounder than Flintoff was at the same age. He's already showing signs of improvement...

To answer the original question...Siddle for me....if he stays fit....no Aussie bias :ph34r:

Xuhaib

International Coach
I know Pakistan does not play a lot of test cricket now days and gets overlooked but in terms of potential I would put Umer Gul right up there with some of these guys and with Shoaib gone and Asif also staring the gun the added responsibility might ever mature him much quicker as a bowler.

In terms of potential-
Sharma
Morkel
Gul
Siddle
Broad
Southee

Evermind

International Debutant
I know Pakistan does not play a lot of test cricket now days and gets overlooked but in terms of potential I would put Umer Gul right up there with some of these guys and with Shoaib gone and Asif also staring the gun the added responsibility might ever mature him much quicker as a bowler.

In terms of potential-
Sharma
Morkel
Gul
Siddle
Broad
Southee
Gul >> any of the above bowlers

I'd put Gul, Morkel, Siddle and Sharma in a completely different category compared to Broad and Southee. Praveen Kumar would belong in the same category as the latter two.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ishant for me. Has the best tools at his disposal. Whether he makes best use of them only time will tell.

Like the look of Siddle too, but think Ishant's height & bounce give him the edge in potential terms.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
No Mitchell Johnson in this list? Mind you, he probably walks all over the others!

I am a bit disappointed you are all under-estimating Stuart Broad!

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Siddle and Sharma...I think Sharma's very good now from what I've seen of him against Australia. And I hope Siddle had a good career as a bowler for Australia, he has a bit of mongrel about him which is much needed in the Aussie team. Especially at the moment.