• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Of These Bowlers Will Have The Best Career?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Three years on the and time for a bump - the results have been almost the reverse of what most were predicting :happy:. Broad the best of the bunch, Morkel and Siddle up and down and Ishant and Southee arguably not progressing at all.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
LOL. How highly people rated Ishant Sharma here! Indian fans were rightly skeptical about him. Fizzling out after initial promise has happened with dozens of Indian pacers over last 20 years.

uvelocity

International Coach
alright; as an incredulous Australian fan, I'd expect you, being a nitpicky indian fan, to be upset about excellent fast bowling talents turning to ****.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think Morkel's been a fair bit better than "up and down". This time last year you'd say he was the best of the bunch by a distance.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think Morkel's been a fair bit better than "up and down". This time last year you'd say he was the best of the bunch by a distance.
True, 131 wickets at 30.75 is a good record. I might have just been influenced by Briony complaining that he's been not as good in tests as ODIs... and that if De Lange develops he could push Morkel for his place in the test side.

FBU

International Debutant
When the thread was started 14 Mar 09/now

17 Tests 55 wickets at 34.90 econ 3.71 s/r 56.3 - Morkel - 37 Tests 137 wickets at 30.75 econ 3.36 s/r 54.7
15 Tests 38 wickets at 40.60 econ 3.13 s/r 77.7 - Broad - 44 Tests 145 wickets at 30.97 econ 2.98 s/r 62.1
15 Tests 44 wickets at 31.59 econ 3.12 s/r 60.6 - Sharma - 45 Tests 133 wickets at 37.87 econ 3.42 s/r 66.4
6 Tests 28 wickets at 26.25 econ 2.66 s/r 59.1 - Siddle - 31 Tests 141 wickets at 29.03 econ 3.09 s/r 56.2
4 Tests 10 wickets at 42.30 econ 3.39 s/r 74.7 - Southee - 17 Tests 42 wickets at 44.76 econ 3.47 s/r 77.3

Since that time quite a few other fast bowlers have emerged

Cummins 18, Pattinson 21, Starc 22, de Lange 21, Finn 22, Bracewell 21, Aaron 22, Junaid Khan 21, Russell 23, Roach 23,

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, if you looked back last year, Siddle and Broad wouldn't be comparable with Morkel. Shows how quickly things change as Broad is probably the strongest at the moment.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Zaheer swings it all over the place but cannot buy wickets
Not calling you out on this at all Social, just find it interesting this comment was made in 2009. Would have thought something like this would have been a 2006/07 comment.

Was social behind the times, or did Zaheer start actually only being recognised as a good bowler in 2010 or so, and hence this was a fair enough comment?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't speak for anyone else but certainly for me it was the 2007 series in England but I suppose one could have made similar comments to those made about Anderson untill recently.

stumpski

International Captain
Forgot that Broad averaged over 40 for his first 15 Tests - in the 90s he'd have been lucky to hang onto his place. As it is, he's only once been in real danger of being dropped - against Sri Lanka last year when he thought he had to be the new Harmison.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Not calling you out on this at all Social, just find it interesting this comment was made in 2009. Would have thought something like this would have been a 2006/07 comment.

Was social behind the times, or did Zaheer start actually only being recognised as a good bowler in 2010 or so, and hence this was a fair enough comment?
In fairness, Zaheer was a below average test pacer before 2007, had one exceptionally gun series in England and then for three years, till early 2010 became a decent but not outstanding test bowler, save beating up on B'desh a couple of times. ( averaging just around 30). Only post-2010 did he really emerge as a properly outstanding test bowler for a span of more than one series (averaging in the early twenties).

From the beginning of 2007 till the end of 2009, for three years:-

91 wickets in 24 games @ 30.91

In 2010 and 2011,

60 wickets in 12 games @ 22.23

Zaheer was also visually quite an improved bowler, in my opinion, from 2010. Particularly on the home pitches when things weren't going his way. There was a massive disparity between his performances h/a during the 2007-2009 phase but he was properly gun both h/w in the 2010-2011 phase.

1st phase on Indian pitches - 34 wickets in 11 games @ 35.26

2nd phase on Indian pitches - 26 wickets in 6 games @ 24.88