• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Of These Bowlers Will Have The Best Career?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Ishant cranking up the pace isn't a given, especially if he goes the Irfan way and tries to bulk up in the gym.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Why must Siddle move the ball more than he does? Siddle with his current ability has the ability to gain just enough movement to grab the edge. Combine this with his spot on accuracy and ability to hustle the batsmen, he really does not require a big moving delivery.

Compare this to the two players you advocate, R.P Singh and Sreesanth. When conditions suit they can swing the ball about. But both have terrible accuracy and are incredibly pedestrian once the movement is missing from the pitch or in the air. Even more criminal is both bowlers have wasted conditions that suit there style of bowling by struggling to retain any resemblence of control.

I would take the pacemen who can have an input in every situation over a couple of swing bowlers who are useful on those rare occasions the ball is actually doing something out of the ordinary. Siddle in his short career thus far has proven to be useful on both seaming wickets in South Africa, and a handful on some flat Indian wickets. Not bad for a guy who "lacks movement".
I always back a guy who has got movement as accuracy can be improved but movement cannot be learned .

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Ishant cranking up the pace isn't a given, especially if he goes the Irfan way and tries to bulk up in the gym.
Irfan is bowling faster than he ever was,It was hype that he was quick in australia where
as he was only in the 125-135 in 2003 now he has build up and bowls in the 130-140
and even going up to 145 km/ph ,The problem is he had changed his action but now he is back to his original action and i am sure he will do well.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting to see how underrated Siddle is

He may be the least experienced but he's the best bowler out of this lot at present - he'll almost certainly take hundreds of test wickets IF he stays fit (which is no certainty given that he has already had 2 shoulder reconstructions and stress fractures)

Morkel has oodles of talent and is potentially the quickest but he has really lost the plot at present

Southee simply isnt fit enough - the guy carried a big gut around with him in Oz and was dramatically weaker after a few overs as a result

Ishant is interesting in that he can look excellent against a player like Ponting and average against others in the same spell. Obviously has a lot of talent and is mature for his age but conditions/body could let him down

Jury is out on Broad as to whether he has the same level of talent as the others but supposedly has a good head on his shoulders and went ok in the WI

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always back a guy who has got movement as accuracy can be improved but movement cannot be learned .
Zaheer swings it all over the place but cannot buy wickets

Give me pace, brains, perseverence and a strong, repeatable action over movement any day of the week

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
Zaheer swings it all over the place but cannot buy wickets

Give me pace, brains, perseverence and a strong, repeatable action over movement any day of the week
Zaheer did not swing the ball in for early part of career so he was average but now
as he swings the ball and has slowed down he is getting wickets.

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I don't understand, you speak as if Peter Siddle has no ability to move the ball at all? The fact is Peter Siddle does "just" enough to beat the blade of the bat. This ability is the perfect skill when combined with a bowler who can keep things accurate and bowl at a decent pace.

Siddle really does not need any drastic improvements in his game to make him into a world class bowler. If he can maintaing his fitness, that may all that be required of him.

For such bowlers as RP Singh and Sreesanth, they must essentially change the fundamentals of there game if they are to become both accurate and maintain there swinging ability. Neither have shown a real step in that direction since there respective debuts. The odd brilliant display of swing bowling mixed with numerous servings of straight half volleys against set batsman.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
I don't understand, you speak as if Peter Siddle has no ability to move the ball at all? The fact is Peter Siddle does "just" enough to beat the blade of the bat. This ability is the perfect skill when combined with a bowler who can keep things accurate and bowl at a decent pace.

Siddle really does not need any drastic improvements in his game to make him into a world class bowler. If he can maintaing his fitness, that may all that be required of him.

For such bowlers as RP Singh and Sreesanth, they must essentially change the fundamentals of there game if they are to become both accurate and maintain there swinging ability. Neither have shown a real step in that direction since there respective debuts. The odd brilliant display of swing bowling mixed with numerous servings of straight half volleys against set batsman.
Siddle will get wickets on tracks that offer seam movement ,but those tracks are rare
Sreesanth has a good test record and is the fastest indian fastbowler to reach 50 wickets
and he bowls on roads most times ,i think you are confusing sreesanth with r.psingh r,sp singh does lack accuracy but sreesanth is fairly accurate.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Malinga, not in poll but if he stays fit will be best out of the next generation.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Siddle will get wickets on tracks that offer seam movement ,but those tracks are rare
Sreesanth has a good test record and is the fastest indian fastbowler to reach 50 wickets
and he bowls on roads most times ,i think you are confusing sreesanth with r.psingh r,sp singh does lack accuracy but sreesanth is fairly accurate.
Siddle CAN swing the ball though.

Woodster

International Captain
I'd completely disagree that Morkel has recently been consistently over 140 - over 130, sure - but Sharma looks to be that bit quicker, and sustains his pace.

Having said that, I've only seen Morkel "on the gun" in the test in Aus and in SAf --> nothing before that - but I took note of his speed because people were talking about how quick he was.
Turns out he's about the same pace as Stuart Clark...

Anyway - it doesn't really matter!! Guys like McGrath and Pollock managed to get hundreds of test scalps and rarely troubled 140kph!!
We'll agree to disagree in this case. I can only speak for the spells of bowling I've seen him bowl, which includes series' against India, England, Australia, Bangladesh, etc, where his bowling has generally been around and above 140kph. Although I do agree that there are times he sits below this benchmark, and he has hovered closer to 130kph in certain spells, as with quicks things are not always in sync and the rhythm isn't there.

I do agree that pace isn't everything, and your examples are perfect evidence that 140kph or 130kph doesn't matter hugely if you bowl as well as Mcgrath or Pollock!

Briony

International Debutant
Potential is a dirty word. Atm Siddle is bowling like a traditional fast bowler with his subtle movements, consistent pace and ability to run in hard for long periods.

Sharma looked good out here last year and has the height and bounce to worry lots of batsmen. His body looks a bit fragile though and bowling a lot on subi pitches could break him given that he's had to shoulder a reasonable load alreayd for a 20 year old.

Broad simply doesn't look as good as the others mentioned. He'll be the best bat of that lot and will bowl some good spells (wasn't too bad at times on the flat pitches in the Caribbean) but seems to lack the menace that the others carry.

Morkel did crank it up to 150 during the last test on at least one occasion and bowled quite a few in the 140s, though he was consistently over 140 in oz so is down a bit. His problem seems to be mental which is coach has even alluded to. Bound to end up a wasted talent as he seems soft and also very thick which means he'll never be a thinking type bowler in the vein of some of the best. Girls think he's very cute so he has some value on the circuit.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Southee does need to improve his fitness tbh. In the first test in Australia he was bowling around 5-10km faster on average in the first innings then he was in the second innings

Flem274*

123/5
If Southee gets any skinnier he'll struggle to bowl over 110 FFS.

Sure criticise him for being a greentop bully and innacurate, I do all the time, but fitness?:laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sharma's the best credentialled, for mine. Has everything a pace bowler could want and will be the undisputed number 1 in a couple of years. Siddle, however, is vastly under-rated.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Zaheer did not swing the ball in for early part of career so he was average but now
as he swings the ball and has slowed down he is getting wickets.
:huh:

It's rubbish anyway. Glenn McGrath had a lethal in-swinger he only brought out regularly after a good solid 5+ years of test cricket. There's a few South African batsmen you should ask whether Midge Johnson only has an out-swinger too.

thierry henry

International Coach
If Southee gets any skinnier he'll struggle to bowl over 110 FFS.

Sure criticise him for being a greentop bully and innacurate, I do all the time, but fitness?:laugh:
I think there may be a point there.....Southee has a strange build, where he kinda gives the impression of having a lean build (has sort of a pea-sized head which lends to the impression imo) but also carries a bit of weight.

I think people are underrated Southee's potential to be an "in to the wicket" type bowler....at U-19 level his strength, as far as I could tell, was that he was tall and intimidating, not a delicate 130kph swing bowler which people seem to be characterising him as.

I think he has the potential there (decent height and a nice, high, simple action) to bowl accurately at a sharp pace, allied with his new-ball swing.