• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Of These Bowlers Will Have The Best Career?

Woodster

International Captain
Obviously very difficult to predict how each of these players respective careers pan out, but it is a fun topic to discuss.

M. Morkel - The attributes this guy possesses demands that he become one of the most feared quicks in the business. His action looks awkward to me, and whether or not there are one or two technical problems within this action that is affecting his consistency I don't know. He is still only 24 and has 17 Test matches under his belt, and I do expect him to return to the SA side, but time out of it may give him the chance to work on a few faults. Could do with more of a nasty streak in him. I do expect a decent Test career, I just hope it's as good as it possibly should be.

I. Sharma - Anyone that saw him bowl against Australia, home and away, cannot fail to be impressed by the performances of India's new quick. Not only does he cause problems with the new ball, but the threat him and Zaheer offer with the old ball is most impressive. Although not consistenly as quick as Morkel, he still represents a big threat. Is only 20 years old, and after having to bowl on the 'roads' in India, (where he averages an outstanding 24.83) he may well enjoy the types of wicket England, South Africa, and New Zealand have to offer. Probably the most exciting bowler in this category.

S. Broad - Have never really been Broad's biggest fan, although he has shown improvements in recent times. His batting is a bonus, don't ever think he'll become a complete all-rounder, but can certainly fit into the very handy number 8 category. His bowling is more in the Glenn Mcgrath mould, in terms of no great pace, but relies on accuracy and a little bit of movement. If his consistency in line and length continues to improve, and also his ability to out-think a batsman (he has already shown he's a very clever bowler), he could become a regular feature in the England side for some time. Don't think he'll ever be a great, but steady as averse to spectacular.

T. Southee - At this stage, pitch conditions seem crucial to his success. Similar to Jimmy Anderson a couple of years ago, when there is assistance in the air and off the pitch, can look a world beater, but a lack of a threatening plan B make it easy for him to be picked off when the going is not so good. The slowest bowler in terms of pace in this group, he will rely upon his swing, accuracy, and slight mixing up of his deliveries to become a real player.

P. Siddle - I like the look of Siddle, he's a real aggressive, hit the deck, back of a length bowler. Will run in for you all day, and is the kind of bowler captain's love to have in the side. Can be pretty quick on his day and the start he has made in Test cricket is very encouraging. His ability to change his lengths and thinking process depending on conditions and pitches may be crucial to how far he can go in the game.

U. Gul - Missing out on Test cricket throughout the whole of 2008 will have done Gul's development no good at all. Whenever I've seem him play he's generally been impressive, in the one-day game his control over yorkers is always decent. Now has the chance to lead the Pakistan attack, and in terms of where he is right now, I would say he's quite possibly up there with Ishant Sharma as the pick of these bowlers, so highly do I rate him. Would like to see him play in another couple of series before I made a long-term judgement of him though.

Sorry if I've bored you guys.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
I. Sharma -
Although not consistenly as quick as Morkel, he still represents a big threat.
How fast does Morkel bowl?

He's been in the 133-135kph mark as his standard speed against Australia. Ramps it up into the high 130s with his quicker balls and even tickles 140 occasionally.

I remember Sharma bowling 137-140kph speeds with high 140s as his quicker stuff - and the occasional 150?

My list would be

1. Sharma
2. Siddle

The other 3 are a toss-up and I've no idea how to rank them, so they're all equal 3rd - but not contenders for the 1 or 2 spot.

Woodster

International Captain
How fast does Morkel bowl?

He's been in the 133-135kph mark as his standard speed against Australia. Ramps it up into the high 130s with his quicker balls and even tickles 140 occasionally.

I remember Sharma bowling 137-140kph speeds with high 140s as his quicker stuff - and the occasional 150?
Yes I don't think there's much between them, but Morkel has recently been consistently over 140kph. Sharma can be very lively, and is capable of bowling spells over 140kph, but I would think Morkel holds the edge over Sharma in pace, generally, while Sharma is far more accurate and threatening with the new and old ball, due to his movement.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
No Mitchell Johnson in this list? Mind you, he probably walks all over the others!

I am a bit disappointed you are all under-estimating Stuart Broad!
This thread I made is mainly for bowlers establishing themselves. I think by most standards, Johnson and to a certain extent, Gul have done that already.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Southee's being a bit under-rated here. From what I've seen of him he looks a great talent- he's got a really excellent bowling action and is still only about 14 years old so he will get better yet.

I stand ready to be proved as wrong as I usually am with most of my rubbish predictions.

Flem274*

123/5
I think Southee's being a bit under-rated here. From what I've seen of him he looks a great talent- he's got a really excellent bowling action and is still only about 14 years old so he will get better yet.

I stand ready to be proved as wrong as I usually am with most of my rubbish predictions.
If you were Uppercut I'd be pretty miserable about Southee's future right now.

It all depends on him learning to bowl on flat pitches, that will be the difference between him being a greentop bully or a world class seamer, personally think he should work on line and length plus some cutters etc, Goughy would be the one to tel usl what all this bunch needs to do.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd put Gul, Morkel, Siddle and Sharma in a completely different category compared to Broad and Southee. Praveen Kumar would belong in the same category as the latter two.
Wow. Harsh on Broad and Southee, IMO.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Peter Siddle - 24 years old
6 Tests
20 FC

Morne Morkel - 24 years old
17 Tests
42 FC

Stuart Broad - 22 years old
15 Tests
52 FC

Ishant Sharma - 20 years old
15 Tests
33 FC

Tim Southee - 20 years old
4 Tests
21 FC

4 years difference between Siddle/Morkel and Sharma/Southee. The latter two have 4 years to gain far far more experience at the highest level than the former two. I also expect them both to bulk up and gain a yard or two in that time. (Making Sharma express while Southee would hit 140 consistently)

Southee has all the time in the world to develop a greater arsenal and with a new swinging ball (besides Sharma and perhaps Siddle) the others cannot match him.

I think by the end of their careers Sharma will be the best bowler, followed by Southee, Siddle coming in third with Morkel and Broad in the final spot. Broad being at that stage a genuine allrounder.

Of course if you consider the teams these young men play in you should also get a fair idea of how often they will play, Morkel could well be playing second fiddle to Parnell and Steyn in years to come and may even have to fight for his place in the team. Siddle has all the young Australian speedsters to contend with.

Sharma has the Indian pace bowler curse against him though if he continues as he has been bowling (not to mention if he actually improves how hes been bowling) should continue to be a fixture.

Broad may find his Test spot in jeopardy till he actually begins to bowl well while Southee has a pretty vacant spot awaiting him.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
For me it would Sharma as the no.1 prospect considering his age and success against top batsmen on 'flat' pitches. Having such control of reverse swing at his age is a huge bonus, I always get the feeling that he bowls within himself a bit, especially in tests in India where he looks to bowl long spells, could probably push 150 if he really pushed himself. He could certainly do with filling out a bit. Also I think he has the big advantage of India being able to rest him a fair amount (though whether they will or not remains to be seen). I think they get that in ODI's he's not that much more valuable than some of the others who have emerged over the last couple of years, however in Tests he's frickin gold dust for India.

Morkel...the next Harmison? I really hope not, has all the attributes to be the outstanding bowler of his generation, I'd like to see a bit more fire from him. I think he's been plucked from the FC scene a bit too early, could probably use some time with a county to 'learn his trade' a bit more. His career could really go anywhere from here but I expect him to return to the SA side pretty quickly.

Siddle has impressed so far however SA is the most condusive place in the world for pace bowlers, remember how successful Sreesanth was there? I like his stamina and pace, looks a right bastard too, just you want from a quick. Would like to see him get more through the air though, not so sure how he'll do in the subcontinent. I don't think comparisons with McGrath are realistic as I don't think his action will ever allow him that kind of accuracy.

Broad, looks decent, but that's just it, decent isn't really good enough to get top class batsmen out. Lacks that yard of pace and since remodelling his action he's lost the big swing that let him take 75 odd wickets in his first season. His batting looks useful, but no.8 useful, not no.6. He might have his odd day in the sun but really I just see him being a steady bowler. Has time on his side but he has to buck the trend of young English players and learn a lot more quickly and recognise his shortcomings and work on them.

Southee, with the right conditions he can look deadly, otherwise (as we recently saw) cannon fodder. Again very young so hopefully he'll improve.

Asif....If he'd played for any other side he may well have been the no.1 bowler in the world right now...but he doesn't and the rest's history. Having lost so much of his career already who knows if he can come back, Barry Richards on first seeing him bowl described him as a 400 wicket man, that's looking pretty unlikely now.

Umar Gul, impressive, very intelligent bowler but bowling on those flat tracks isn't doing him any favours.

Mitchell Johnson at 27 isn't really in this conversation.

oldmancraigy

U19 12th Man
Morkel has recently been consistently over 140kph. Sharma can be very lively, and is capable of bowling spells over 140kph, but I would think Morkel holds the edge over Sharma in pace, generally, while Sharma is far more accurate and threatening with the new and old ball, due to his movement.
I'd completely disagree that Morkel has recently been consistently over 140 - over 130, sure - but Sharma looks to be that bit quicker, and sustains his pace.

Having said that, I've only seen Morkel "on the gun" in the test in Aus and in SAf --> nothing before that - but I took note of his speed because people were talking about how quick he was.
Turns out he's about the same pace as Stuart Clark...

Anyway - it doesn't really matter!! Guys like McGrath and Pollock managed to get hundreds of test scalps and rarely troubled 140kph!!

Nutter

U19 Debutant
Southee is about 138kph every time I've watched him bowl. More than enough really. Just needs to bowl McGrath-like channels.

Cricket_God

U19 Cricketer
R.P Singh and Sreesanth Particularly sreesanth he has lot going for him and his stats
are also good against top teams.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ishant
Morkel
Siddle

The other two have time (in Southee's case, lots), but I'm far from convinced just yet. Probably haven't seen enough of Southee at test level tbf though.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Siddle Is a good bowler but he lacks movement.
Why must Siddle move the ball more than he does? Siddle with his current ability has the ability to gain just enough movement to grab the edge. Combine this with his spot on accuracy and ability to hustle the batsmen, he really does not require a big moving delivery.

Compare this to the two players you advocate, R.P Singh and Sreesanth. When conditions suit they can swing the ball about. But both have terrible accuracy and are incredibly pedestrian once the movement is missing from the pitch or in the air. Even more criminal is both bowlers have wasted conditions that suit there style of bowling by struggling to retain any resemblence of control.

I would take the pacemen who can have an input in every situation over a couple of swing bowlers who are useful on those rare occasions the ball is actually doing something out of the ordinary. Siddle in his short career thus far has proven to be useful on both seaming wickets in South Africa, and a handful on some flat Indian wickets. Not bad for a guy who "lacks movement".