• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England - Zimbabwe Thoughts

jf2001

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few questions....

What was Michael Vaughan doing trying to hoik that ball out of the ground when he's barely scored a run all season?

What is Robert Key doing playing for England?

Why can't any England batsman learn the art of keeping runs ticking in the middle of an innings? Why also does everyone insist that the only batsman in England who can manage this is Thorpe??

Well fielded/bowled Zimbabwe and England, you will get crushed by S Africa if you keep batting like planks!!

PS: Thanks Channel 4 (again...) for sympathetic sheduling of highlights, your dedication to the sport is shining through,

JF

Bazza

International 12th Man
Very good John,

Personally I do still feel Graham Thorpe is the best batsman in England for the middle overs of one dayers. I agree Robert Key is not the man for the job. He can't bat in tests what hope in one dayers.

I also think Michael Vaughan needs to cut the pull shot out of his one day game at the moment, certinaly when the ball is outside off that's for sure. He also needs to learn when to go for the throat as captain, but with only three bowlers who can take wickets in the side it can't be easy.

After the Pakistan series I felt we had a shot at doing South Africa, but this has brought me firmly back down to Earth.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Key is playing and Vaughan is captain because Fletcher has this odd view that Test players are better choices for the OD side than players who perform better in OD cricket. So far, all he's managed to do is create a team with one reliable batsman (who still doesn't move his feet enough), 2 all-rounders who can't bat or bowl and the weakest reserve group (Harmison, Key...) I have ever seen.

Last edited:

botham

Cricket Spectator
Bin Giles, he seems to lack, intelligence, control and he's a lousy fielder.

Bring back Thorpe and have Adam Holioake as captain.

Key looks out of his depth and unmoativated.

The tactics re bowlers and fielders were very poor yesterday.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
botham said:
Bring back Thorpe and have Adam Holioake as captain.
Unfortunately this won't happen as the 'Surrey-bias' seems to only apply to sub-standard players at the mo.

Langeveldt

Soutie
[RANT] Channel 4 see cricket as a burden on their sheduling of "high quality" programmes like Big Brothers Little Brother.

I cannot believe that i can watch a whole live basball game from the USA on TV, yet get a crappy highlights package at gone midnight for our national summer sport...

You can throw as much gimmicky Twenty20 cup at me as you want, but if people cannot watch their national team on TV, whats the point in bothering?

England have a number of players (Key, Clarke, Harmison, Troughton) who couldnt fight their way out of a paper bag, let alone score runs against Australia (thats what England are planning for right??) And their replacements seem even less talented..

Its time for England to think about winning the Natwest Series 2003, Then success in the World cup should automatically come[\RANT]

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Channel 4 see cricket as a burden on their sheduling of "high quality" programmes like Big Brothers Little Brother.
[\RANT]
What is that show about?