• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which CW chestnut gets your goat?

Which question annoys you most, and your position on that question

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
There are a few perenially debated topics on CW, a few of which are currently getting a work out again in a few threads. Thought it would be interesting to see which one is the topic that most gets people irritated, and from what angle they're approaching that topic.

See the above poll, vote, and discuss. ;)

I've probably parodied some views there, trying to explain them succinctly enough to fit into a poll listing. Feel free to reiterpret them into more reasonable explanations if that helps people find an option they are happy to vote for.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Tough to go past Murali vs Warne. I could go for either tbh, one is a better wicket taker and the other a smarter cricketer. Not much between the two but I tend to go for Murali as Warne fans are slightly more annoying. :p

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Tried to avoid mentioning any individual poster's unusual views specifically in the poll, for obvious reasons, and focus on topics where there were genuinely two schools of thought.

But that's not to say you can't nominate what you like.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Maybe some kind mod can edit the poll to include:
Hayden - one of the greatest openers ever
Hayden - flat track bully

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The:

Stats: the most important thing when judging a player
Stats: not as important as reputation or historical legacy

argument is one that shows no signs of abating as well.

Matt79

Global Moderator
PEWS, can you please add the stats vs reputation and Hayden questions to the poll - both should be there, I just didn't think of them when doing the poll.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS, can you please add the stats vs reputation and Hayden questions to the poll - both should be there, I just didn't think of them when doing the poll.
For whatever reason, myself and the mods who were given powers at the same time as me can't edit polls. The group before me can though, so I'm sure someone will notice your request.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I hope this doesn't turn into an anti-Richard thread. I would hate some thing like that happening. Hope the thread remains on the relevent topic.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I hope this doesn't turn into an anti-Richard thread. I would hate some thing like that happening. Hope the thread remains on the relevent topic.
Was not the intention of the thread. Rich obviously champions a couple of the positions described in the poll, but I did not include things like the First Chance Average or "Hayden vs Hussein" etc, for precisely that reason. All of the ones that were included do have several people who'll argue each position.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People claiming that Player X of 1950>>>>Player Y of 2005 as a definitive fact, or vice versa. Inter-generational comparisons are exceptionally difficult, crude, all but impossible and will never give a definite answer. It's people acting like someone is ridiculous for holding an opinion different to their own on a question with no answer that gets my goat occasionally.

ozone

First Class Debutant
First chance averages for mine to.

Voted for the spinners not neccessary in the poll though, out of the ones there it annoys me the most.

JBH001

International Regular
Probably this, as mentioned by The Sean:

Stats: the most important thing when judging a player
Stats: not as important as reputation or historical legacy

Boring as ****.