• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which CW chestnut gets your goat?

Which question annoys you most, and your position on that question

• Total voters

Evermind

International Debutant
People constantly looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses (OMG IM SURE SOBERS WAS A BETTER SPINNER THAN WARNE), people disqualifying the use of stats to judge the quality of a player, people arguing against technology saying it's "not perfect" (as if umpires are any better?), people undervaluing the role of a spinner in a game.

Hayden and Lee being severely underrated on these forums is also an annoying issue for me.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
People constantly looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses (OMG IM SURE SOBERS WAS A BETTER SPINNER THAN WARNE), people disqualifying the use of stats to judge the quality of a player.

If you can find examples of anyone saying Sobers was a better spinner than Warne I'd be very surprised.
No one disqualifies the use of stats, only the bastardised way they're dissected.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
1. Very Poorly set up polls
(why would I vote for "what topic p***** me off the most, but HAVE TO put an opinion on the topic) eg. Warne V Murali argument may piss me off, but I have to express my preference for one of the players in the poll. Stupid. Poorly Constructed. The Scott Muller of Polls.

2. Richard's Opinions.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Trumpers Ghost grinds my gears - :p

I wanted to put a 'side' to each debate as I suspect in several of the contentious issues, its one side that finds it particularly annoying. I.e In the Warne vs Murali topic, it's overwhelmingly Murali supporters who find the argument their most irritating.

Flem274*

123/5
After reading about NZ vs India on cricinfo one thing that annoys me is the idea that a seaming pitch is a "bad" pitch. Even guys like O'Brien (bowlers ffs) say they just want a pitch with some bounce, but not a seamer.

At least green seamers produce a result. Draws are so anti-climatic.

Personally if I became magically talented overnight and was a test class seamer I'd want it green with lots of cracks and potholes in it, and why not some landmines at the batsmans end while I'm at it.

EDIT: Its not really a CW related thing though, I voted for the spinners. They're pretty handy spinners.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't ask me. Scotland aren't allowed to compete as a separate country under IOC rules as they aren't a separate "country" as such, but given the opportunity where they are allowed to compete separately (Commonwealth Games) they seize the opportunity with relish.

With cricket they are allowed to compete separately under their own terms and should be free to do so rather than forced, as Richard would have them, to NOT COMPETE under the "England" banner.
Where have I ever said "Scotland(\Ireland) should compete under the "England" banner"?

Absolutely perfect example of people interpreting something I've said as what they'd like me to have said rather than what I have. Happens so damn often.