• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sangakkara captain, Murali vice captain ?

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
I just saw the news that Sri Lanka has appointed Sangakkara as the Captain which is the obvious choice, but Murali as the vice captain ?

I don't get that logic behind appointing Murali as vice captain. Isn't it better to appoint a young future prospective captain for him to groom himself to lead the team in the future. Like what they did to Mahela while Atapattu and Jayasuriya captained. Is this the right choice ?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Could be worse they could have given it to Muburak. If you look at the side the only other option was Dilshan. The long term captaincy options Maharoof, Mathews, Kapugedera, Silva and Kandamby aren't really first choice players. The plan is to give them exposure at A level and during the provincial series.

Was always likely to happen with the new policy of selecting mature aged players.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Could be worse they could have given it to Muburak. If you look at the side the only other option was Dilshan. The long term captaincy options Maharoof, Mathews, Kapugedera, Silva and Kandamby aren't really first choice players. The plan is to give them exposure at A level and during the provincial series.

Was always likely to happen with the new policy of selecting mature aged players.
hahahaha

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
I dont think bowlers make good captains, except Daniel Vettori, so I would have gone for Dilshan ahead of Murali.

I sure hope that Sangakkara being captain won't affect his batting. Not negatively, anyway.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
i like the idea, Murali has been often seen giving younger players advice anyway, he will do a fair job. I would like Sanga to give up the ODI wicket keeping as well. I knw Dhoni does it but i feel sanga is more important to SL than what Dhoni is to India.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i don't know the exact figures, but sanga averages like 70 or something when he doesn't have the gloves, or about 45-50 with them, which is a decline, but gee, if you had a keeper averaging 50...

wonder what the captaincy will do to him, i'd hate to see it affect him, he's such a champion

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It hasn't effected him at domestic level, infact he has batted at his best at domestic level when captain. I would be surprised if it does effect his batting.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think bowlers make good captains, except Daniel Vettori, so I would have gone for Dilshan ahead of Murali.

I sure hope that Sangakkara being captain won't affect his batting. Not negatively, anyway.
Gulp, Imran Khan.