• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What gets you and your teamates fired up?

Which event gets your whole team fired up the most?

• big six

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • long run to catch

• catching a teamate's fumble

• all-run 4

• Total voters

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
When your playing with your team down in the park, a single ball can lift the spirits of the whole team. I was thinking what is the best thing that someone on your team can do in a single ball to lift the spirits?
While every situation will be different, this should be a generalisation.

My contenders:

Clean Bowling (a non-tailend batsman) - everyone loves seeing those stumps cartwheel

direct hit runout - often comes from nowhere and shows great skills

teamate hits a really BIG six - something for those on the sidelines to enjoy

A specky diving catch - lifts the whole team for sure

A "had to run a long way" catch - commitment, skill and composure

An all-run 4 - shows those in the middle are giving absolutely everything

Catching a ball that a teamates has juggled/dropped - good teamwork that

Retiring hurt a batsman
- ok a little maccabre, but always pumps the adrenalin

There would be some that I've forgotten and many that would be applicable in certain circumstances, but which one usually gets you going?

note this relates to the cricket you play/played and not that which you watch.

Last edited:

99*

International Debutant
For the team: Any wicket really.

For me: Hitting a four down the ground.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Opposition doing something that is against the spirit of the game.
Agree with this wholeheartedly. Had a friendly game at work, and the opposition's captain used some underhand tactics and it fired me up a treat. He opened the batting and I came straight in under the helmet at short square leg and was giving him plenty of verbal. Haven't been that fired up in a long time.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with this wholeheartedly. Had a friendly game at work, and the opposition's captain used some underhand tactics and it fired me up a treat. He opened the batting and I came straight in under the helmet at short square leg and was giving him plenty of verbal. Haven't been that fired up in a long time.
Pansy :ph34r:

Whilst I only ever played for my school team, a good catch or someone bowling one of the opposition always got us on a high/fired up.

Redbacks

International Captain
yep!

We had a keeper claim a run out of our batter who was on 80odd when he clearly dropped the ball. When he came out to bat there were comment's flying everywhere.

"Good honest bowling should do the trick here"
Our 1st slip pretended to take a call from Saleem Malik asking about the weather and pitch conditions, few Hanse jokes too, we ended up bowling very well and getting him out cheaply:)

Julian87

State Captain
Not only things against the spirit of the game, but trash talking from the opposition generally gets me and my team fired up.

Case in point was a knock out semi final played on the weekend. My younger brother came out to bat and the other team gave it to him from the get go, pretty much just because he is young and probably because he has more talent as well. Anyway a few smart ass tongue in cheek calls about Bradman, mainly from the one bloke, and we belted them everywhere and scored 260 odd, albeit there was a late order collapse.

They had 17 overs to bat. My other brother came out and bowled ****ing quick and they were 6 for at stumps. Their trash talker copped it from all angles and we ended up batting them out of the game convincingly. I think it is the fact that we took a general dislike to the opposition and their **** and fired ourselves up.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Not only things against the spirit of the game, but trash talking from the opposition generally gets me and my team fired up.

Case in point was a knock out semi final played on the weekend. My younger brother came out to bat and the other team gave it to him from the get go, pretty much just because he is young and probably because he has more talent as well. Anyway a few smart ass tongue in cheek calls about Bradman, mainly from the one bloke, and we belted them everywhere and scored 260 odd, albeit there was a late order collapse.

They had 17 overs to bat. My other brother came out and bowled ****ing quick and they were 6 for at stumps. Their trash talker copped it from all angles and we ended up batting them out of the game convincingly. I think it is the fact that we took a general dislike to the opposition and their **** and fired ourselves up.
Haha, I was waiting for your post in this thread.

To add to my earlier post, the read dickhead opposition and when the opposing teams players do something against the spirit of the game.

99*

International Debutant
Oh, I should also point out, the threat of having to walk home made our high school team play a lot better away from home.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I should have put opposition being pricks in the poll (new there'd be something obvious I forgot). Although from personal experience this tends to make the team mad and not on a high. Also its something that doesn't usually occur in a single delivery (although it certainly can).

cheers

King Pietersen

International Captain
Being a fast bowler myself, it has to be seeing those stumps cartwheeling. There's no better feeling for a quickie. What also gets me pumped up is a battle. I love bowling to 1 specific batsman for a long period of time, just trying to work him out. If you finally do get one to beat him and you see the off-stump knocked back, it's a tremendous feeling of relief and then really fires you up. Last season I clean bowled a guy I'd been bowling at almost constantly for 5-6 overs but no balled, and that really fired me up, was gutting, as he went on to score the winning run. But yeh, from the options, has to be a cartwheeling stump for me.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Being a fast bowler myself, it has to be seeing those stumps cartwheeling. There's no better feeling for a quickie. What also gets me pumped up is a battle. I love bowling to 1 specific batsman for a long period of time, just trying to work him out. If you finally do get one to beat him and you see the off-stump knocked back, it's a tremendous feeling of relief and then really fires you up. Last season I clean bowled a guy I'd been bowling at almost constantly for 5-6 overs but no balled, and that really fired me up, was gutting, as he went on to score the winning run. But yeh, from the options, has to be a cartwheeling stump for me.
Remember cricket is a team game and the thread asks for the firing up of your team. What you have written is a about what YOU do that fires YOU up. Seem to have missed the team aspect of the question.

cheers

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even when you know that 94.295% of the time, you and everyone on your team would do the same. Yeah, very true.

Anyway, just about anything tends to annoy me on the field of play. I don't really need that much to get myself going. If I was more talented I'd be lethal.

Most of our team tend to get extra-annoyed at the other team being really up-for-it.