Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: SF Barnes

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Clem Hill provides great comments to the photographs taken by Beldham and he also gives a sketch describing each bowler. It makes for fascinating reading. In speed he talks of Cotter being the fastest of all bowlers playing in the world then EXCEPT Kotze of South Africa, whom he considers the fastest.

I will try and summarise his description of the great bowlers

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I was chatting to a bloke the other day who played against Holding in a match in England at a League level or summat.

He fancied himself as a decent player, and was for the standard he played at.

Anyway, the other team has this West Indian playing for them, but this bloke doesn't know who he is.

He comes in at number 3. Looks around the field and sees the keeper is a loooong way back. Thinks this bloke is kidding himself as he pushes off the fence.

First ball - didn't see it - caught the shoulder of the bat, goes through slips for four.

"Hey man, you'll be able to tell your grandkids you hit Michael Holding for four".

Gulp.

Second ball - missed his head by a whisker.

"Just try to stay alive man".

Third ball - middle stump cartwheeled.

Relief.
    That's brilliant mate.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Richardson :
    • In his prime a pre-eminent fast bowler, great pace with a prodigious break-back from off.
    • Of all the great fast bowlers he could maintain his speed consistently not just throughout a day but match after match and throughout a season.
    • Astonishingly remarkable stamina.
    • Deadly off-break - very abrupt and startling.
    • He could make the ball break on 'billiard' tops where even spinners wouldn't move it a hair's breadth.
    • Little attempt at pace variation or deceptive flight.
    • Uneringly accurate, bowled to hit the stumps, never bumped the ball down short !

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Albert Cotter :

• Probably bowls a faster ball than any living cricketer with the exception of JJ Kotze
    • Short, compact, very supple
    • Long and free swinging action provides all the pace
    • Long final stride, combined to his modest height means ball is delivered from low height making the trajectory very low. Thus his shorter deliveries at that pace do not rise enough for batsmen to take advantage.
    • Generally bowls very fast and very straight. Once in a while will bring an odd ball in sharply.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    i cant tell you how much i loved these old pictures. thanks SJS and Goughy and other contributors in this thread. amazing stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Even if I were a wicketkeeper, which I am not, and brave, which I am not, I wouldn't be standing up to the stumps to a bowler whose action looked anything like this.
    Haa, well i'm sure on the video series "Cricket the great-bowlers". Historian David Firth (spell check) does actually say, that he bowled so fast, the amatuer South Africans slips men dropped him a few times & he would get seriously pissed.

Their reaction was he should probably come a field in the slips to his own bowling, hahaha..
    Last edited by aussie; 14-03-2009 at 12:10 AM.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Coming to keepers standing up to fast bowlers, one must keep in mind that in the early days, the wickets were pretty bad and the ball was more likely to keep low than bounce awkwardly. Keepers felt they had a better chance standing at a distance where they could collect the ball at a decent height rather than have the ball hit the ground in front of them.

Even standing right up to the stumps, which many keepers were known for, was less of a worry at least as far as awkward bounce was concerned though opinion was still divided on whether it was better to stand a bit back and make sure one collected everything safely including nicks or be flamboyant but increase the chance of missing the thicker edges.

Any other photos in the closet? SJS, Goughy, anyone?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Don't worry Mr Z there are 464 photographs in the book SJS is getting these from so he's only put up a fraction so far

I have to say SJS is a generous and selfless man - unless he has a very smart piece of scanning equipment he's putting a lot of strain on the spine of a valuable old book just to keep us entertained

What book is it?

"Great Bowlers and Fielders - their methods at a glance" by George Beldam and CB Fry

The iconic photograph of Trumper jumping out to drive comes from the companion volume on batsmen

And what's the companion book called?

And how hard is it to come by copies?

Coincidentally "Great Batsmen - their methods at a glance"

They are quite common though costly - for some reason the batsmen volume seems to be cheaper but you'll still have to pay 200-250 each if you went to a dealer

I have heard a rumour that Roger Heavens is going to produce some facsimilies - mind you if that's true my guess is they'll still cost 100 or more each - by Edwardian standards they are very well produced
    Last edited by fredfertang; 14-03-2009 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Disabled link - unintentional breach of the rules - honest!

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    They are quite common though costly - for some reason the batsmen volume seems to be cheaper but you'll still have to pay 200-250 each if you went to a dealer
    Yeah, it depends on condition. A very quick search finds 1st ed available in 'poor' condition for well under 100 GBP
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    all too expensive for people like us still dealing in rupees

Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information