• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SF Barnes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the old ball Larwood could move it late in the air from the leg ..... he brought back a foot to knock over the stumps...
This is extremely interesting, and perhaps shows how silly the idea that Sarfaraz Nawaz and Imran Khan invented reverse-swing was.

Fact was, they were just the first to popularise it and make it known to a wide audience.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Larwood was often not even mentioned in a list of also rans and Bradman did not consider him to be the fastest bowler of his time.
He must have changed his mind then

"Over a full season, under all sorts of conditions, I rank Larwood as the fastest bowler of all"

Don Bradman in "Farewell to Cricket" published in 1950

Lest I be accused of being disingenuous he did preface that by saying the fastest spell he ever faced was from Eddie Gilbert but he does add that wasn't bowling

fredfertang

Yes he was notorious for a dubious action - although film taken of his him was never conclusive - he had a short run, very long arms and by all accounts a slinging action - he was an aborigine which, I suppose, may be relevant to the way he was treated

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes he was notorious for a dubious action - although film taken of his him was never conclusive - he had a short run, very long arms and by all accounts a slinging action - he was an aborigine which, I suppose, may be relevant to the way he was treated
Dare I say it - compare the treatment of pure white Lindwall with the famed pure smooth action :ph34r:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Possibly. Also may be relevant why, 70 years later, we are still talking about a player with a moderate record over a short 5 year career.

No reason why it cant be both.

fredfertang

Possibly. Also may be relevant why, 70 years later, we are still talking about a player with a moderate record over a short 5 year career.

No reason why it cant be both.
That may be a little harsh - his average was comparable to Tim Wall and Ernie McCormick, both of whom Bradman waxed lyrical about, and considerably better than Bull Alexander who did get selected (rather than Gilbert) to bounce Jardine and Co in the final test

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He must have changed his mind then
Wouldn't be an isolated example. IIRC Bradman praised various modern players as "the best of their type of all time" before the final much-hyped "Bradman's best team of all time" was finally published, which should have really been called "various of my team-mates from when I was young"

fredfertang

Wouldn't be an isolated example. IIRC Bradman praised various modern players as "the best of their type of all time" before the final much-hyped "Bradman's best team of all time" was finally published, which should have really been called "various of my team-mates from when I was young"
As Roland Perry was involved in that project I am led to believe that means it was a work of fiction

fredfertang

Can you remind me of the team?
And who is Roland Perry?
Barry Richards
Morris
himself
Tendulkar
Sobers
Tallon
Lindwall
Lillee
O'Reilly
Bedser
Grimmett

Hammond as twelfthers

Perry get's a lot of stick in Australia for making things up and taking advantage of Bradman towards the end of his life - I am sure Archie could give a better perspective - I've never actually read anything Perry has written

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Barry Richards
Morris
himself
Tendulkar
Sobers
Tallon
Lindwall
Lillee
O'Reilly
Bedser
Grimmett

Hammond as twelfthers

Perry gets a lot of stick in Australia for making things up and taking advantage of Bradman towards the end of his life - I am sure Archie could give a better perspective - I've never actually read anything Perry has written
This team is solely about achieving the greater glory of Don Bradman isn't it? Because you look at the team and think "Tallon (Test average of minus 35) at number 6? LIndwall at 7? Lillee 8? Well I suppose you can afford it because Sir Don averaged 99.94 and he's at number 3". And then you see Bedser who was a fine bowler but not worthy of a place in an all-time XI who's clearly got in because he bowled Bradman with a good ball once. And then we have Bradman's mates from the Australian team. Grimmett? Morris? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited:

fredfertang

This team is solely about achieving the greater glory of Don Bradman isn't it? Because you look at the team and think "Tallon (Test average of minus 35) at number 6? LIndwall at 7? Lillee 8? Well I suppose you can afford it because Sir Don averaged 99.94 and he's at number 3". And then you see Bedser who was a fine bowler but not worthy of a place in an all-time XI who's clearly got in because he bowled Bradman with a good ball once. And then we have Bradman's mates from the Australian team. Grimmett? Morris? Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Bit like selecting QCs really :ph34r:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've come to expect this sort of thing on facebook (you're = your for instance) but when top-class CW posters start doing it...

:no:
Fred he's right you know. I imagine that, given your previous good character, if you quietly edit your previous post Richard will do the decent thing and edit his to destroy the last shred of evidence. No-one else will ever know.

fredfertang

I don't mind coughing to the odd typo Mr Z - after all you don't get banned for it .......... do you?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fred he's right you know. I imagine that, given your previous good character, if you quietly edit your previous post Richard will do the decent thing and edit his to destroy the last shred of evidence. No-one else will ever know.
Even that is apparently futile in this day-and-age. The ever-more-intrusive, borderline Big Brother Mods can now read posts as they were pre-edit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't mind coughing to the odd typo Mr Z - after all you don't get banned for it .......... do you?
Only if they conveniently repeatedly avoid the filter.

I would provide examples of how such typos might do such a thing but, well... you know.