Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: SF Barnes

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    On that note, did Bradman, Headley or Hammond ever face Barnes? Hammond must have surely.
    Hammond may have, I'll be sure to check Barnes' FC match record.

Barnes only played 11 FC matches after WWI, between 1927 and 1930. The other 7 years he must've stuck to minor cricket. Doubt Hammond faced him.
    Last edited by Coronis; 21-04-2013 at 04:57 AM.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Apparently Barnes did bowl to Len Hutton in 1933 according to Bernard Hollowood ('Boys Own Paper'),

All who have been fortunate enough to play with him are agreed that as a bowler of length and spin, Barnes has no equal. Even one of our youngest cricketers, the record breaking Len Hutton, has said, 'One of my best innings was against Sydney Barnes when I was sixteen; I scored 69 not out.' I remember that innings of Hutton's and I recall the warm praise it received from Barnes.

Cited in 'The Greatest of Bowlers' (1970) by Bernard Hollowood
    Here is the scorecard;

The Home of CricketArchive
    Last edited by watson; 21-04-2013 at 05:33 AM.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    On that note, did Bradman, Headley or Hammond ever face Barnes? Hammond must have surely.
    Bradman no. Pretty sure the others didn't. Hammond didn't mention it in his book.

Eventual English opener Cyril Walters did. Walters saw him off and said he didn't find him difficult at all. That was in the late 20s I think.

Here is an interesting scorecard from the 1929 tour of England by the South Africans.

Barnes (56 yrs old) knocked over both the openers, Herbie Taylor (28), and Bruce Mitchell (7);

Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Bradman no. Pretty sure the others didn't. Hammond didn't mention it in his book.

Eventual English opener Cyril Walters did. Walters saw him off and said he didn't find him difficult at all. That was in the late 20s I think.
    I think that Walters and Barnes were in the same side representing Wales, rather than on opposing teams;

International Debutant
    I remember reading it in an old wisden mag article. Could be cricketer. Quite possible the game took place at club level. The match in your link seems to be a rep fixture with the best players from the catchment clubs participating.

International Debutant
    I found the article. Its on one of my favourites. Walters and Turnbull played for Wales at Llandudno against the MCC. Barnes playing for the latter. He said Barnes couldn't get either of them out but Walters recalled what a great bowler he was. I can't find the match on cricketarchive.

The reference to Barnes not being difficult is down to faulty memory. Walters was referring to Rhodes and on another occasion.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread Information