Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 397

Thread: SF Barnes

  1. #301
    International Debutant Jager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The land of Siddle
    Posts
    2,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Again with the Mold clip. He was rising 38 there at a time when the age of mortality in Britain was late 40's, don't think I'm venturing into dodgy territory in saying that the overwhelming majority of quick bowlers deteriorate after 30 years of age. He was called for throwing the year before and the bloke he was bowling to was 50+, I don't think it's controversial either to say he was bowling half-rat there.
    AWTA. Migara giving me migraines here
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

  2. #302
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,107
    Not to labour a point (well I guess I am) other well known pace men to have stumping dismissals are Morne Morkel and Yasir Arafat the Pakistani quick. I've seen keepers stand up to Ryan Harris too. Another man with stumping dismissals is Waqar Younis. People may have heard of him. Back in the 1890s Tom Richardson didn't have any stumping dismissals (though I recall a story abt a keeper daring to stand up to him and his captain told him to stand back bcos the bowler eased up in pace). Richardson's contemporary, the famous Bill Lockwood, had 4 stumpings even though he was said to be nearly as fast as Richardson.
    Last edited by the big bambino; 05-02-2013 at 04:14 AM.

  3. #303
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,206
    It's all Knotty's fault

  4. #304
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,107
    O'Reilly blamed Bradman when he deputised for his injured keeper in a state game, understandably stood back for anything over medium pace, and insisted it was best for keepers to stand back.


  5. #305
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    O'Reilly blamed Bradman when he deputised for his injured keeper in a state game, understandably stood back for anything over medium pace, and insisted it was best for keepers to stand back.
    Yes I have read that; Tiger was not a fan, although Tiger was rarely a fan of anything the Don did
    You know it makes sense.

  6. #306
    International Debutant
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Dunno. I say Marco you say Polo.
    Posts
    2,107
    Mind you, and to clarify, I think it is to the credit of a pace bowler if he has the control to enable a keeper to stand up and bring stumping into play. A keep standing up adds pressure to the batsman as he always has to think where his feet are. This thread has taken a funny turn whereby a fast bowler is somehow diminished if he has stumping credits to his name. As if pace is the equivalent of penis size and to bowl with guile almost effeminate.

    One interesting aspect of the Mold clip is his low, almost round arm delivery. Those who saw Mold and wrote of his style mention that he had a high action when he began playing but it became progressively lower; a fact borne out by the film. Since the film verifies this observation by the writers of the time perhaps we can also believe them when they said he previously bowled with a high action and very quickly.

  7. #307
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Oh yes. I think I remember you now. You were one of the gents in a top hat. Must have been you to know Mold was bowling seriously.

    Do you watch cricket? Anyone who has knows when a bowler is taking a net seriously. Whether its Mold walking up to a stump and idly rolling his arm over or Mitch Johnson bowling over his wrist.

    Just as an aside beligerently rehashing your opinions after they have been dealt with is not impressing anyone.
    Looks like we have a real expert here. Bah! Do you know that even in a net session bowlers action does not change much, unless he uses a different one explicitly. Mold walking up and rolling arm once is a pathetic apologetic description. And simply with that **** action he cannot be fast. Unless you prove me that his normal action was different, I just laugh at your wishful thinking.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

  8. #308
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by the big bambino View Post
    Just checked Marshall's fc stats. Shows he picked up a wicket as stumped. There you go. Marshall wasn't fast. Just a spinner really. And got fat when he retired. No one with a physique like that could bowl fast. Glad we cleared that up.

    EDIT. Others with stumpings to their list include Statham, Larwood, Hall, Procter as well as Botham. All fatties whose bowling reminded me of my gramps playing beach cricket. Btw can a bowler as tubby as Botham actually bowl quick? To say nothing of chubby spinner Imran K who also has a couple of stumpings to his credit.
    Running back to FC cricket where the bowlers don't operate at full intensity is a joke. The fact is early test "fast" bowlers have stumping, and modern ones have none. Running to FCC is to clutch on to another straw to defend a flimsy logic.

    And using a match four seasons after Marshall has retired is another joke.
    Last edited by Migara; 06-02-2013 at 06:31 AM.

  9. #309
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    lso far from being unheard of pace bowlers back then could seam the ball as any contemporary reports of Richardson, Lockwood and Mold will reveal. Swing too if you read abt Hirst. But what would they know? I mean they were only there at the time.
    The fastest of bowlers such as the Demon, Fred Spofforth imparted spin to the ball and this was the only way to make the ball deviate laterally for many decades even after test cricket started in the 1870'

  10. #310
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Running back to FC cricket where the bowlers don't operate at full intensity is a joke. The fact is early test "fast" bowlers have stumping, and modern ones have none. Running to FCC is to clutch on to another straw to defend a flimsy logic.
    They're not going to get any while 'keepers stand back

    I have to say I don't understand why so much weight is being put on that clip of Mold in the nets - as far as we know that is the only time he was ever filmed and in those days there was no such thing as action photography - everything was posed and we simply have no way at all of knowing what was going on in that clip
    Last edited by fredfertang; 06-02-2013 at 06:36 AM.

  11. #311
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    Looks like we have a real expert here. Bah! Do you know that even in a net session bowlers action does not change much, unless he uses a different one explicitly. Mold walking up and rolling arm once is a pathetic apologetic description. And simply with that **** action he cannot be fast. Unless you prove me that his normal action was different, I just laugh at your wishful thinking.
    How come the onus of proof is on him? You're the one who brought this as evidence to suit your case so you're the one who has to prove it.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  12. #312
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    How come the onus of proof is on him? You're the one who brought this as evidence to suit your case so you're the one who has to prove it.
    You should read up the discussions first mate.

    I posted video evidence to say Mold's action was apalling. And it was TBB sho brought up that he was joking in a net session. I have my video evidence, and onus is on others duty to prove he was joking.

  13. #313
    International Captain Migara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Just under your skin
    Posts
    5,829
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    They're not going to get any while 'keepers stand back

    I have to say I understand why so much weight is being put on that clip of Mold in the nets - as far as we know that is the only time he was ever filmed and in those days there was no such thing as action photography - everything was posed and we simply have no way at all of knowing what was going on in that clip
    The original idea of posting this was to say that pace of bowlers of early 1900s were overestimated / hyped up by so called cricket historians. The exercise was to, fast medium that describes Barne's pace, is no where close to fast medium we describe these days (130-135k), but couple of dozens of kms lower.

  14. #314
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    57,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    You should read up the discussions first mate.

    I posted video evidence to say Mold's action was apalling. And it was TBB sho brought up that he was joking in a net session. I have my video evidence, and onus is on others duty to prove he was joking.
    So you decided based on the evidence that he wasn't a quick bowler, the burden of proof is with you.

    However since you've got no counter to the perfectly logical reasoning as to the reasoning behind his appearance in the video, the most significant being his age, you'll try and claim to be right about this when you clearly aren't.

  15. #315
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,206
    It is of course true that there have been great improvements over the years in most sports - all athletics records keep going north, although much less rapidly now that the improvements in tracks, footwear, clothing etc have pretty much hit a plateau.

    Golfers hit the ball miles further, and tennis players much faster, but their equipment has improved immeasurably over the years.

    Soccer and Rugby have much less equipment, and the changes there relate as much to tactical innovation and higher standards of fitness but even then the difference between modern balls and the old fashioned leather ones, which were still in use when I were a lad in the 60s and 70s, especially when they got wet, means they are different games.

    Cricket bats have changed, and as a general rule the modern ones hit the ball further, but I reiterate my point about Albert Trott - but a cricket ball has barely changed at all, and the last major change in bowling anything other than spin came in 1864 when overarm bowling was legalised, so I don't see why 21st century bowlers should necessarily be any swifter than those from the 19th century

    It is true that up until the 1890s pitches were a lot rougher, so there was no need to bowl particularly fast, but that all changed then when improved pitches altered the game forever. Once that happened bowling fast became important as speed alone was a means of beating batsmen, particularly as swing as we know it today was an underdeveloped skill, so I'm quite happy to accept the accounts of those that were there that the likes of Mold, Tom Richardson, Walter Brearley and Charles Kortright were distinctly sharp

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. South African Domestic Season 2008/9
    By TT Boy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 329
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 07:11 PM
  2. Your All-time Top 5's
    By wfdu_ben91 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 188
    Last Post: 09-03-2009, 06:57 AM
  3. Who is Australia's second best Test cricketer ever?
    By G.I.Joe in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 13-02-2009, 08:20 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 05:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •