• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Fast Bowler of the last 20 years

Who do you think it was?

• Total voters

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim, Waqar, McGrath, Gillespie etc were all playing late 90's early 2000's ftr. And they've got Anderson and Philander covered tstl.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasim, Waqar, McGrath, Gillespie etc were all playing late 90's early 2000's ftr. And they've got Anderson and Philander covered tstl.
Wasim and Waqar weren't really the same bowlers they were in the 90s though.. Really it was only McGrath, Gillespie and Akhtar, maybe

smash84

The Tiger King
Akhtar wasn't even on the park most of the 00s though. It was pretty much McGrath and maybe a bit of Pollock.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree with Benchy that batting conditions seemed easier in the early to mid 2000s. Why this was so? I always assumed it was a combination of flatter pitches and lesser quality of bowlers after Ambrose, Wasim-Waqar, Donald retired.

But now I am thinking along the lines of historical patterns. Before the early 70s revolution of fast bowling, there were usually just 1 or 2 great pacers in a generation. Larwood (the first great pace bowler), Lindwall-Miller, Trueman-Hall, Snow.

So perhaps the great numbers we saw in the 70s, 80s and 90s were not the normal state of affairs.

Now South Africa has definitely been a god place for fast bowling, considerably better than Australia, where the pitches have definitely flattened since the 90s, although I would be hard pressed to give an exact date for the decline.

the big bambino

International Captain
Fast bowling numbers for all countries have been pretty constant over the generations or thereabouts. The only team where there was an abnormal breakout of fast bowlers was the WI from the late 70s to early 90s