• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Special Poll 1: McGrath or Murali?

McGrath or Murali?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I prefer 4 quicks+spinner to 3 quicks+2 spinners on most pitches. In reality if i was picking a side it would depend solely on the conditions whether I'd have Murali or McGrath. You can't really say you'd have preferred Murali for the match just played in South Africa, but on a Sri Lankan dustbowl it's a no-brainer.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Anyway personally I think whole thing is joke, he won fair and square at the start and really you should be picking two spinners anyway. You pick two quicks at the start of the draft, why not two spinners.

Not going to vote, as the whole thing is joke really. He already won.
Don't understand this poll - Murali already won it fair and square.
I think this argument is fair. Initially I was in favor of having this poll, as a I prefer a 4 + 1 balance in the team. However, I think the “balance” of the team should’ve been decided beforehand. Murali won the last poll fair and square. So therefore, even though I prefer a fourth seamer, I will vote for Murali.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I voted for Murali only because I feel Hadlee, Murali and Marshall are indispensable in a post-Packer XI...I don't care who the other 2 (or 1, as the case maybe) bowlers in the side are as long as these 3 are in...If it's Hadlee vs. Murali or Marshall vs Murali (or McGrath vs. Warne) then I might think about team composition etc. etc. but as long as it's one of these 3 bowlers against one among the rest, I don't give a damn to team composition...

That's personal choice, of course...

ozone

First Class Debutant
Don't understand this poll - Murali already won it fair and square.
As above.

Much as it pains me, I am going to vote, and for Murali, but only because at this rate McGrath is going to beat him because too many people are abstaining and that wouldn't really be on at all.

And on how the attack should be composed, I think that in most circumstances, an attack of 4 seamers and 1 spinner is more balanced, but, if you've got an extraordinary candidate who is better than the other options, having a 5-0 or 3-2 attack is the way to go (depending on who the best bowlers are). For example, if I had 6 West Indian fast bowlers from the 80s competing for places, but my best spin bowler was distinctly average, I would have no concerns going in without a spinner, on any track.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It was a response to ozone's "i think most times i'd go for a 4-1 makeup, but this time there's a special spinner to choose from".

ozone

First Class Debutant
Both candidates are pretty damn special itbt.
Of course, but much as McGrath is special in what he was and his statistics given when and where he bowled, Murali will go down as one of the greatest bowlers of all time without doubt, and so is 'more special' than McGrath IMO.

EDIT: Looking at it in another way, if I was given the team with McGrath in, I would be delighted and expect to win pretty much every game played. But I would always have a tinge of regret that I didn't have Murali to bowl in tandem with Warne on a flat track. Obviously, this is a very personal opinion.

Last edited:

ozone

First Class Debutant
Pretty sure the same will go for McGrath, if not moreso than Murali.
Really? At the end of the day, McGrath was just a fast bowler. He may have been one of the greatest that ever lived, and for much of his career the best in the world, but he didn't smash records or revolutionise cricket like Murali has. On the other hand, Murali has re-written all the bowling records and caused all kinds of controversy along the way, and that is why he will be remembered moreso.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Really? At the end of the day, McGrath was just a fast bowler. He may have been one of the greatest that ever lived, and for much of his career the best in the world, but he didn't smash records or revolutionise cricket like Murali has. On the other hand, Murali has re-written all the bowling records and caused all kinds of controversy along the way, and that is why he will be remembered moreso.
You put a good case forth for Murali, but thinking McGrath was "just another fast bowler" undersells him to say the least.

ozone

First Class Debutant
You put a good case forth for Murali, but thinking McGrath was "just another fast bowler" undersells him to say the least.
It pained me to write it but its true. If you can give me something which seperates McGrath from every other fast bowler in history then I will accept it, but I would struggle to think of one thing which makes McGrath greater than everyone else.

shankar

International Debutant
Erm, I very much doubt anybody was as bad against anything as much as Zimbabwe were at the time. Even Murali's own record reflects this - how he does against England and Zimbabwe.

For your interest (spin bowlers vs other teams, during Murali's career (the lower the average the easier it was).

Do that pre 2003 and looks at the stats.
Interesting, up to the end of 2001, one gets the following figures!

Code:
Opposition    Players     Span   AveAscending  Econ     SR     5     10  	

v Bangladesh 	28 	2000-2001    [B]19.16[/B] 	2.59 	44.2 	5 	2 	
v England   	80 	1993-2001    [B]28.92[/B] 	2.21 	78.2 	22 	5 	
v New Zealand 	92 	1992-2001    [B]29.94[/B] 	2.45 	73.2 	20 	5 	
v Zimbabwe 	93 	1992-2001    [B]32.29[/B] 	2.37 	81.4 	8 	1 	
v West Indies 	84 	1992-2001    [B]34.66[/B] 	2.76 	75.3 	17 	4 	
v South Africa 	92 	1992-2001    [B]34.89[/B] 	2.46 	84.8 	20 	4 	
v Pakistan 	80 	1993-2001    [B]35.04[/B] 	2.82 	74.4 	16 	3 	
v Sri Lanka 	95 	1992-2001    [B]37.09[/B] 	2.67 	83.2 	13 	2 	
v Australia 	87 	1992-2001    [B]40.77[/B] 	2.83 	86.1 	20 	4 	
v India        86 	1992-2001    [B]43.40[/B] 	2.93 	88.6 	15 	3
Link

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It pained me to write it but its true. If you can give me something which seperates McGrath from every other fast bowler in history then I will accept it, but I would struggle to think of one thing which makes McGrath greater than everyone else.
Just as Murali broke records so did McGrath. The only thing that seems to separate them is the controversy. I mean, where does one start? The fact that there are more great fast bowlers to compare with than spinners doesn't detract from his legacy. IMO If anything it adds to it: that in a pool of so many greats, you can rightly (although arguably) say he is the greatest. His record is simply incredible when you look at the toughness of bowling in this past decade.

Hadlee broke many similar records to Murali, but I don't think anyone thinks his legacy is greater than Lillee's. And like Hadlee, a lot of his record breaking had more to do with his situation in a team, and his team's situation in cricket in general rather than some abnormal ability that no one else possessed.

I mean, what exactly makes Murali any different to Warne or Tiger or Clairrie? I think that's myopic way of looking at it, personally.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, I didn't see this post, I just saw it as shankar replied to it.

Do that pre 2003 and looks at the stats.
Zimbabwe is still poorer, although not as much as before it should be said. Actually, I probably should have removed Bangladesh because Zimbabwe would have played them more than others.

Interesting, up to the end of 2001, one gets the following figures!
And if you do it in 1999, you come up with these.

Last edited:

ozone

First Class Debutant
Just as Murali broke records so did McGrath. The only thing that seems to separate them is the controversy. I mean, where does one start? The fact that there are more great fast bowlers to compare with than spinners doesn't detract from his legacy. IMO If anything it adds to it: that in a pool of so many greats, you can rightly (although arguably) say he is the greatest. His record is simply incredible when you look at the toughness of bowling in this past decade.
For me, this is the key point. It does. It shouldn't, McGrath should be looked at for his record given all of the factors that went against him in the era he bowled, but the fact is, it will.

The original point was that I thought Murali would be remembered as one of the greatest bowlers of all time, moreso than McGrath. A flick through the 'top 5 ever' thread shows that Murali appears in nearly every list, whereas the appearances of McGrath are few and far between.

IMO, whether he should be remembered more than McGrath is debateable, whether he will, is inevitable.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
For me, this is the key point. It does. It shouldn't, McGrath should be looked at for his record given all of the factors that went against him in the era he bowled, but the fact is, it will.

The original point was that I thought Murali would be remembered as one of the greatest bowlers of all time, moreso than McGrath. A flick through the 'top 5 ever' thread shows that Murali appears in nearly every list, whereas the appearances of McGrath are few and far between.

IMO, whether he should be remembered more than McGrath is debateable, whether he will, is inevitable.
Well, think about this, in 2001 when they were creating the ESPN's Legends of Cricket series, McGrath was voted in at 41 and Murali wasn't even in the top 50. McGrath has probably enhanced his legacy double since then.

I am sure Grimmett appears in nearly every list too, I don't think he'll be thought of higher than McGrath though. I would agree with you in thinking Murali will probably be more prominent in spinners than McGrath is in pacers, but I don't think so in general "bowler" terms.

This is, I guess, a subjective guess. We'll see in the future.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
And if you do it in 1999, you come up with these.
And if you choose up to the end of 2000 or 2001 then either England or New Zealand come out with worse figures than Zim. There doesn't seem to have been much difference between the three.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And if you choose up to the end of 2000 or 2001 then either England or New Zealand come out with worse figures than Zim. There doesn't seem to have been much difference between the three.
You mean besides 2-4 average points. Until 1999 Murali plays 3 series against Zimbabwe, if I am correct. In 2001, he plays another and again in 2004. In the period that you put forth that Zimbabwe were better players of spin, he plays 1 series. When we encompass all these series, we get the original stats I put. When we encompass all but the 2004 series, we get the 2nd one I put.

I mean, I generally don't think Zimbabwe were particularly terrible players of spin, but not as good as the English (which isn't saying much, but Chaminda said they were better than them) - and certainly not as good as a side. They had Flower who was a bit of a freak and the rest dropped like flies.

What's a bit telling is that he generally did better against the lower teams than the higher teams (except Sri Lanka, which was his own team).

Last edited: